Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

GT-R Swingers, more on deck for 2013

Old 10-04-2011, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rockville
...I also know a thing or two about vehicle dynamics and traction distribution (see my long post on the workings of a limited slip diff) and well...
Are you referring to the part where you were wrong because physics and engineering are *not* the same thing and yet refused to acknowledge the point? Just asking.

Because you throw around the "engineer" thing a lot without acknowledging that "engineer," like "scientist" is a very, very, very general term. My cousin is a chemical engineeer and makes no claim to secret and superior knowledge of mechanics. Another cousin is a physicist and won't make any effort to describe how combustion is turned into thrust. It's called "knowing your limits."

Yet you refuse to acknowledge any lacking in knowledge or understanding as long as you can point to someone nobody knows who "agrees with you."

StepOnMe is always asking for it and an easy target, but you know less than you think you do. The proof is the more one knows the more one realizes one doesn't know everything, and you have yet to acknowledge you don't know everything. Ergo, you are still in the first stages of knowledge acquisition. Despite your own opinion of yourself.

You really don't understand how a clutch-type differential works, for one. If we had to build a ratchet driver based on your knowledge of friction and torque nobody would be able to use the damn thing. It wouldn't do shit. Just saying.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by rockville' timestamp='1317749204' post='21038499
...I also know a thing or two about vehicle dynamics and traction distribution (see my long post on the workings of a limited slip diff) and well...
Are you referring to the part where you were wrong because physics and engineering are *not* the same thing and yet refused to acknowledge the point? Just asking.
Actually, I wasn't wrong but you are welcome to bring up the thread and try to show where you think I was wrong.

Because you throw around the "engineer" thing a lot without acknowledging that "engineer," like "scientist" is a very, very, very general term. My cousin is a chemical engineeer and makes no claim to secret and superior knowledge of mechanics. Another cousin is a physicist and won't make any effort to describe how combustion is turned into thrust. It's called "knowing your limits."

Yet you refuse to acknowledge any lacking in knowledge or understanding as long as you can point to someone nobody knows who "agrees with you."
I agree but in the case of the LSD thread I DO understand the material and explained it mathematically. You are welcome to mathematically explain where I was wrong.

StepOnMe is always asking for it and an easy target, but you know less than you think you do. The proof is the more one knows the more one realizes one doesn't know everything, and you have yet to acknowledge you don't know everything. Ergo, you are still in the first stages of knowledge acquisition. Despite your own opinion of yourself.
Oh I understand there is much I don't know...

You really don't understand how a clutch-type differential works, for one. If we had to build a ratchet driver based on your knowledge of friction and torque nobody would be able to use the damn thing. It wouldn't do shit. Just saying.
... but the explanation I gave in said thread were correct even if you don't understand them. As I said before, the math I presented all works. You are welcome to show where the math was wrong. Thanks to your comments I did expand what I had written to fully cover the case where both wheels are spinning at the same speed.

Again, if you disagree I welcome your counter arguments in that thread. Stating I was wrong with out stating why is a bit limiting.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geez, I can't remember the last time I read so many generalizations and stereotyping in one thread!

Every time I read about cars' relative values as status symbols, it makes me roll my eyes. Are we really that shallow to make purchasing decisions based on what others will think about it? You're the one who has to live w/ and pay for it, screw what others think and buy the one that works best for you!

I'm not in a position to drop $100K on a new car, but I suspect I'd take a 997 GTS or a 991 911 over a GT-R just for the more involving driving experience. All these cars have more performance that I can use safely on public streets, and are much more capable than I am as a driver on the track.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:49 AM

Not to get involved in anther one of these threads, but Rock, I believe that His point about AWD vs RWD was less about NEED, and more about it being an extra helper that is very useful in situations where road conditions are less than perfect. For example, someone coming out of a corner and rolling on the power. In say a GTR with it's AWD you really don't need to think about it, in a Z06 you would want to be fairly careful even if you had the traction control on. Short of snow, mud, or other situation where you do not have enough traction/ground clearance, You will not ever NEED AWD, but it can be a good helper, especially for lower level drivers. I have had racing situations where the measly 100hp of my Miata required very careful application of the throttle where a 300hp STI could essentially floor it on corner exit. I understand that there was a huge difference in contact patch size, vehicle weight, tire design and compound, and vehicle setup, but there have certainly been times where an extra two driving wheels would have been enjoyed. (assuming that they didn't destroy the rest of my handling characteristics, which they would have)

All this coming from someone who drove that same Miata all last winter, and intentionally went out specifically to drive every time it snowed, plus went to the mountains a few times just to drive in the snow.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:39 AM

No argument that it can allow less judicious control of the gas but many make it sound like if you don't have AWD you are stuck. That's certainly not true in almost any realistic condition. Yes, I can perhaps push my luck more in the wet with AWD (remember even a 2WD car has AW brakes). In general, if you use your brain you won't need AWD to get home. Of course if we are dealing with an idiot going too fast for conditions maybe AWD will help them stay in control. Either way I think we agree it's not at all a need, only a nice to have (with it's own big set of drawbacks).
Old 10-06-2011, 04:44 AM

NuncoStr8,
I think it's rather poor form to accuse me of being full of crap but then not providing any evidence.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:02 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

That's standard form for him.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:17 AM

In his defense, in the LSD thread he was willing to argue his point. His objects to my material were incorrect and he made several fundamental mistakes in his own explanations. However, I will give him credit that one, he was willing to engage in the discussion and two, I suspect, based on his writing, he has thought about the issue more than most, he simply hasn't been set on the right track yet. With many of these car discussions the amount of "bad science" is impressive. I mean people often wrongly assign credit (both good and bad) to the wrong parts of a car. Any poor handling traits of a Corvette are due to the springs because they aren't coils for example (ignoring dampers, chassis stiffness, suspension geometry, bushings etc). The Prius gets good mileage because it's a hybrid (never mind the good aero and low rolling resistance tire). Of course marketing people love this at times. I got's to get me some VTEC for my car! I need AWD so I can have stupid fast 0-60 times (never mind that I don't do drag starts about ever so 5-60 mph runs might be a better comparison for me).
Old 10-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Banned

It's hard to explain to someone who has never owned both AWD and 2WD vehicles. I guess only experience can teach such a person.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Steponme
It's hard to explain to someone who has never owned both AWD and 2WD vehicles. I guess only experience can teach such a person.
Hard to explain what? If you are referring to my question, well go a head and explain (don't use the cop out statement). I've driven enough AWD cars that you aren't going to surprise me. Give it a shot

Quick Reply: GT-R Swingers, more on deck for 2013