Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

GPS unit, Iphone, android, paper map

Old 03-04-2013, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS unit, Iphone, android, paper map

Here we go, What is the Best GPS unit, phone, to use in the S2000?? I know everything changes every year all the systems get better, but what do you Perfer
I was like my Iphone, but there is a issue with The Man with the Badge
Who uses a standalone unit like tomtom or Garmin, built into radio unit?
cell phone, and cell phone software?
and the best place to put it when insue and not in use (security)
Old 03-04-2013, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much any smartphone+modifry bracket+Bluetooth head unit will make for a good setup. I have a Kenwood X494 with Bluetooth connected to my Xperia SL which is mounted to a quick release on my modifry bracket, I can control my GPS, music, and run Torque from there. Works a treat. I can take a picture if you'd like.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:41 PM

please,
I thinkin of the Modifry bracket, also it works with my Pioneer bt8400 unit, music, pandora, bluetooth
Old 03-04-2013, 09:08 PM

I have the Modifry bracket. Works well, I put my phone dock on the bracket with the ball mount and use my phone GPS. Still need to clean up the wiring, but there is a path that's decent. Too bad the 12V is a bit far away.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:44 PM

For the 12v, you can hardwire a charger into a power lead from the radio and run the cable through the AC vent. I of course reccomend wiring a HIGH QUALITY universal USB charger if you are going to do this, but it will clean it up a bit. I'll try to snap a pic tommorow.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:55 PM

Sorry it took so long to get these up.

GPS unit, Iphone, android, paper map-jpn9k3o.jpg
GPS unit, Iphone, android, paper map-cyshcst.jpg
GPS unit, Iphone, android, paper map-ssj1xrd.jpg
Old 03-13-2013, 05:33 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Dedicated-Swiv.../dp/B009GGUMDO
Old 03-13-2013, 05:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll buck the trend and say just get a dedicated GPS. Here is what I have found with using a phone for a GPS:

- It's not as good as a dedicated GPS at picking up a signal
- It's not as stable as a dedicated GPS. Phones freeze and crash. My Tom Tom is 100% rock solid. It has NEVER failed me.
- Nearly all car chargers don't supply enough current to keep the phone fully charged while using the GPS. Basically your phone will run dead on longer trips. If this happens you're left with no phone AND no directions to get back home.
- It's a pain if anyone every calls in the middle of critical directions. You basically lose your GPS during that time. Then you're left fumbling with a complicated device when you should be driving.

I've gotten pissed off at my phone more times than I care to count trying to use it for a GPS on important trips. Now I just use it as a backup while my dedicated Tom Tom serves GPS duties.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^ you raise some good points

Ideally a standalone would be better. I have an older Garmin and I only had an issue with it one time but would still rate it extremely reliable.

I currently just use my iPhone/GoogleMaps app hooked up to my headunit. It stays charged and talks through the speakers (turns down the volume on the song) and haven't had any problems with it. Also have used the default Apple Maps application but the google one gives turn by turn. Depends if you want turn by turn of if you want to find an alternate route. Also never had an issue with getting a signal. Even when I go to the Edge network the GPS still works just fine, but this is usually when the highway runs through a remote area.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:15 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
- Nearly all car chargers don't supply enough current to keep the phone fully charged while using the GPS. Basically your phone will run dead on longer trips. If this happens you're left with no phone AND no directions to get back home.
The real cheap chargers are usually 500mA chargers, but spending a few extra bucks and getting a 1A charger like this Motorola are well worth it imo: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Vehic.../dp/B000S5Q9CA

I bought a few of these for our cars and they can even charge the battery (albeit slowly) while the GPS is active.

I do share your sentiment though regarding the phone sometimes being a pita as a nav unit. I've had annoying issues where it couldn't lock on the satellite at times and one time where it froze on a long trip. It can definitely be annoying. Usually though it works well enough for me that it hasn't made me buy a gps unit. The ability to search for something and navigate to it w/o having to type in an address and update the map software is nice.

Quick Reply: GPS unit, Iphone, android, paper map