Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

GP of Europe

Old 05-29-2005, 07:05 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default GP of Europe

WTF??

First did you see FAs right rear tire? Does it look as if it has any tred left?

As far as KR going around on a damaged tire, that's the most disgusting thing I've seen. He puts a lot of people at risk least of all himself. They should have stopped him and given him a penalty for unsafe driving. Did anyone think that was safe the way he was driving on that tire? I'm glad he didn't get away with it. I don't want to say what his penalty should be, but zero points is a good start. BTW if he had stopped and got a tire he would have been in 2nd-3rd place (probably).

Last point, I know they shouldn't change the rules in mid-season (tho they do it all the time anyway). But the one set of tires is such complete The least they should do is let you change as many tires as you need, but maybe penalize you by not letting you re-fuel at the same time.

Whatever they do, I hope not to see this one set of tires rule for much longer.\\\\
Old 05-29-2005, 09:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah a completely stupid rule with no merit. Taking into account how much money teams spend, a few set of more tires per race isnt gonna cost that much more. Second, with all that talk about safety, the one tire rule can be down right dangerous. Great minds at FIA.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:36 AM
rai

Originally Posted by S2k007,May 29 2005, 09:06 PM
Yeah a completely stupid rule with no merit. Taking into account how much money teams spend, a few set of more tires per race isnt gonna cost that much more. Second, with all that talk about safety, the one tire rule can be down right dangerous. Great minds at FIA.
Are they doing one set of tires b/c they cost $$ or do they want to slow the cars down with hard compound? Also if they want to slow the cars (for safety) its not working if it ends with so many tire falures.

KR had the chance to get a new tire so I blame him or his team for his crash.

BTW I read about KRs crash before I watched it, I was knew the tire was going to fail therefore I had a different outlook when I was watching him drive on a damaged tire.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if it was meant to slow the cars down with a hard compound for safety, its a direct contradiction to safety itself. You saw what happen during the race, if he changed his tire he would have been penalized. So instead he drives on a bad tire, he crashes, very dangerous. Regardless if it was his team's fault or not, penalizing a team for changing tires makes them not want to change tires and thats dangerous.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:06 PM
rai

Originally Posted by S2k007,May 30 2005, 02:02 PM
Even if it was meant to slow the cars down with a hard compound for safety, its a direct contradiction to safety itself. You saw what happen during the race, if he changed his tire he would have been penalized. So instead he drives on a bad tire, he crashes, very dangerous. Regardless if it was his team's fault or not, penalizing a team for changing tires makes them not want to change tires and thats dangerous.
He could have changed one tire, but he would have lost the lead. They allow you to change only one damaged tire. Stupid IMO
Old 05-30-2005, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if they want to have a restriction on tires i say you can only change tires once during the race.....

this 1 set of tires i not safe....
Old 05-31-2005, 04:16 AM
Fishfryer527

I would assume that developing and testing tire compounds and construction is much more expensive than actually building the tire.

Maybe the rule should read that changes to tires and fuel cannot be performed in the same pit stop. That would allow cars on new tires to pick up the time they lost in the pits, but allow the smoother driver/chassis to not incur the penalty at all. This would add up to give the fans faster laps, more passing, more pit exitement, as well as add to the complexity of the strategy of the 'Game'. Maybe in addition, only one compund can be used for any race, this would still keep costs down as compared to having several sets of tires with various compunds.

In the Kimi case he would have pulled into the pits for new tires in with 15 or so laps left. The new tires would have given him extra speed (say 2 seconds a lap), the 40 seconds he wasted in the pits would have almost been made up.

If they really wanted to slow the cars up, they would just put on restrictor plates, use pushrod engines and limit carb sizes to 390 cfm. Now that would make for some boring racing.

Old 05-31-2005, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the one tire set per race was meant to bring more excitement towards the end of a race.

In theory if you take better care of your tires than the guy in front of you then you should have an advantage at the end of the race and be in a position to challenge.

Kimi should have changed that tire after he flat-spotted it.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:13 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

The offificial F1 website, www.f1.com, specifically stated in their '05 rules summary that the rules changes (one set of tires, two races per engine) are targeted towards slowing the cars down. That's it. Nothing about promoting a more exciting race, nothing about controlling costs. Same deal with the new 2.4 liter V8 engines - it's to slow the cars down. (Surely nobody believes that intoducting and entirely new engine spec is even remotely connected to cost reduction???)

The people who make the F1 rules are morons, IMO.
<shrug>
Old 05-31-2005, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kimi's tires weren't damaged because of the tire rule, they were damaged because he locked them up trying to get by a lapped car. Even with last year's rules, if Kimi had flat spotted them 12 laps before the finish, they would be crazy to pit and change the tire with 22 points down from first place in points. Mclaren has had very few tire related problems so far. Look at Monaco, their rear tires looked barely worn compared to other cars at the end of the race.

I think the tire rule is great, it slowed Ferrari down and we actually have a points race and the races are more exciting to watch and less predictable.

It's racing, ANYTHING goes, you go out there and you know the risks. They get paid to take those risks. The person who wants it the most and is willing to go the distance wins.

Quick Reply: GP of Europe