Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Got a postcard in the mail about my driving skilz!

Old 06-08-2016, 11:19 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1465402721' post='23988185
[quote name='JonBoy' timestamp='1465399523' post='23988143']
[quote name='CosmosMpower' timestamp='1465398222' post='23988119']
LOL WTF? Jealous of your car? You don't have to be a cop to look up license plates, anyone can do to the TX DMV pay a few bucks and look up a name/address based on a plate. I've seen quite a bit of road rage in DFW but I'm prepared for it
Yes, but it's an official request and it doesn't necessarily happen immediately. Your request and your identity are logged so that they have a paper trail in case something happens. Also, they don't approve just any request - you need a good reason for it. Basically, if you aren't an investigator, insurance company employee or have a court case against the driver, you're probably hooped.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5826764_sear...in-number.html

The DMV isn't going to give you a vehicle owner's info because they tailgated you or cut you off....
I can pull the name, address, registration info and if there's a lien on any vehicle with a TX plate instantly. I don't work for the DMV, police or any other govt entity.
[/quote]

How? One of the "pay to get info" sites?
[/quote]

Pretty much. Again, it's public information. These companies just gather it all up. I use Lexis Nexis, which is available to the public, but you probably only get the super awesome version if you have a law firm account.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:44 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

EG you are leaving out key pieces of information.

I am not sure if you have actually searched public records, but if you have you know you have to make certain declarations on the reasons why, whether it is through Westlaw or Lexis. You'll also be aware of the ramifications if something came as a result of your search.

This isn't some free for all search engine for people.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:14 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

That's true of certain information, but you can get all of the information I described even when you select that you have no permissive use and that it is not for litigation purposes, the two questions that Lexis asks before providing info.

Also, just to be clear, I'm not advocating revenge or using Lexis to track someone down and teach them to improve their driving. I didn't think it needed to be stated that you an still get in trouble if you legally acquire someone's info lawfully and then use it in an unlawful manner.

But, as has been suggested in this thread, someone's home address obtained from their license plate isn't exactly a state secret.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:48 PM

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I got this postcard in the mail. It was mailed with my name and address. I consider it a true privilege and honor that someone would go through so much effort to recognize and compliment my driving skill and ability:

I love the way they feel the need to offer their opinions on something like this- i'm sure they live their lives absolutely without fault. I'll bet if you followed them you'd see them passing the right, not signalling, speeding 5 over the speed limit, crossing the lane after a turn without signalling. yup, i bet their shit don't stink either.

Given they didn't sign the letter, it holds no weight. If they had signed the letter instead of sending it along anonymously, then maybe you could have had an intelligent conversation with them. Nothing but cowards they are.

I hope one day to receive a letter like this. I just have people follow me to work to tell me how i wronged them on the road.

darcy
Old 06-09-2016, 05:07 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Today I honked at a woman who was buried in her phone instead of noticing that the light had turned green. She flipped me the bird. Some people just feel entitled that they can do no wrong and it is their job to control others' behavior.

Writing a letter takes a lot more effort than a hand gesture, and finding your address much more effort. I wonder if it is really from someone that knows where you live already.

Is the postmark from your local station? (951 W Bethel Rd, Coppell, TX 75099)
Old 06-09-2016, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Originally Posted by SpidArman' timestamp='1465405163' post='23988228
That's extremely f@#ked up if anyone can just go get all of your personal information just on a whim.
You Americans really have no privacy anymore eh?
That's a stretch. Public information has always been public. That's nothing new. Some companies collate and sell said information. There is nothing wrong with that. Now, if we're talking about the NSA'a bulk collection of American cell phone data, that's a conversation worth having.

But the points made in this thread have nothing to do with that, and don't kid yourself into thinking that your country is somehow a greater protector of civil liberties.
lol
Old 06-09-2016, 06:08 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Today I honked at a woman who was buried in her phone instead of noticing that the light had turned green. She flipped me the bird. Some people just feel entitled that they can do no wrong and it is their job to control others' behavior.
Ya, I don't understand people. If I do the same (which admittedly has happened), I will simply wave as an apology and move on. If you F up, just acknowledge it and move on. I totally understand how road rage occurs and people end up on the evening news.. I was driving to work one day and quite pissed off for other reasons when a guy cut me off causing me to slam on my brakes. Of course I honked at him and he had the nerve to give me the finger. At that point I was beyond mad and pulled up next to him honking and gesturing him to pull over. Of course the little b*tch just stared straight ahead and ignored me and just kept driving. He was driving an Audi (shocker). I don't know what would've happened if he pulled over but I sure as hell wasn't in the mood to back down at that point.

I'm not sure why people act so hard when they're behind the wheel of their car. Nothing worse than people who act like they own the road and can do no wrong.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:50 AM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Is this the first step in a scam or shakedown?

If there is no such motivation by the sender and no contact information I'd pitch it
Old 06-09-2016, 06:58 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by SpidArman
That's extremely f@#ked up if anyone can just go get all of your personal information just on a whim.
You Americans really have no privacy anymore eh?
We don't. And to really wet your noodle, most don't care. They voluntarily spew out all their business on social media so the the local government/municipality says F it, we'll do the same!
Old 06-09-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

power tripping soy baby

Quick Reply: Got a postcard in the mail about my driving skilz!