Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Got a postcard in the mail about my driving skilz!

Old 06-07-2016, 07:57 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
It's amusing on one level, but on another what if the guy decided to take it to the next level? Would he show up at my house or vandalize my property to teach me a lesson? I don't like that mentally unstable people have access to find out a person's name and home address from a license plate.

My name and address were computer printed on a label. He then took the time to affix an additional 3 labels (following too closely, tailgating cop, and failure to signal) on one side of a pre-made postcard and then use a 'forever' stamp to send it to me. So, figure at least a buck of hard cost and a few minutes of time to notify me that based on his professional or unprofessional opinion, I was driving like a jackass.

It really is kind of disturbing people are so self-righteous as to do something like that and likely utilize resources at their job (off-duty cop or similar) to get access to vehicle owner/address info.

You're not at all wrong, but you could play the "what if" game until you drive yourself nuts.

The fact is that anyone can find you based on your license plate with minimal effort. Some people hear that and think, "I'd better do what some psycho wants me to do so I don't draw his ire." I hear it and think it's just another reminder as to why I'm always prepared to defend myself. You're a big enough guy that most people probably won't go out of their way to pick a fight with you, but crazy people only understand getting shot, unfortunately.

Further, you probably weren't committing some horrific sin so much as this guy is suffering from a case of hall monitor syndrome, so don't beat yourself up. Chances are you'll never encounter another chode like this guy, but it never hurts to be prepared to deal with someone going crazy on you. I can get you in touch my the guy I train with if you're inclined to bone up on your "how to not win runner up in the gun fight" skills.

Also, I'm sure this nut has a whole spreadsheet full of people he's sent these love letters to. One of them will track him down, and they'll either start making out or they'll kill each other. Haha. Either way, he's probably got bigger fish to fry than to continue to bother you. At least I hope so.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Driven
So you were tailgating and didn't use turn-signals, but you're playing the victim card?
Maybe... just maybe, don't be a terrible driver?

OTH, them spending the effort to mail you something is comical.
Pump your brakes, friend. At best, these offenses fall into the "that could be dangerous under the right circumstances" category. Sure, he did something wrong, and doing the wrong thing is bad and all that. I just don't think that everytime someone forgets to signal that an angel loses its wings and crashes somewhere off the coast of Florida. I think you're gilding the lily a bit to suggest that he's playing the victim card. Both things can be true. He can be in the wrong for committing a minor traffic violation AND the other guy can be crazy.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oreos were invented in 1912.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:05 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Truth32
Oreos were invented in 1912.
Informative.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:37 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Sabre
And you're totally sure it isnt a friend just screwing with you?
Yeah, most of my friends have better things to do than waste time on stuff like this.

Originally Posted by freq
Looks like Acura or Honda leather?
It's the semi-aniline leather in the LX570. Pretty good stuff.

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
You're not at all wrong, but you could play the "what if" game until you drive yourself nuts.

The fact is that anyone can find you based on your license plate with minimal effort. Some people hear that and think, "I'd better do what some psycho wants me to do so I don't draw his ire." I hear it and think it's just another reminder as to why I'm always prepared to defend myself. You're a big enough guy that most people probably won't go out of their way to pick a fight with you, but crazy people only understand getting shot, unfortunately.

Further, you probably weren't committing some horrific sin so much as this guy is suffering from a case of hall monitor syndrome, so don't beat yourself up. Chances are you'll never encounter another chode like this guy, but it never hurts to be prepared to deal with someone going crazy on you. I can get you in touch my the guy I train with if you're inclined to bone up on your "how to not win runner up in the gun fight" skills.

Also, I'm sure this nut has a whole spreadsheet full of people he's sent these love letters to. One of them will track him down, and they'll either start making out or they'll kill each other. Haha. Either way, he's probably got bigger fish to fry than to continue to bother you. At least I hope so.
It's all good. I honestly worried about it for one minute yesterday and that's it. There is crazy everywhere and you can't walk through life scared. You can walk through life packing heat with a CHL which I do frequently. Plus, as you said, I'm not the smallest guy either (6'2", 220lbs), so most people won't jump me over small stuff. Had a guy want to get out and fight me on a road rage incident a few years back. He jumped out and I jumped out and we both walked towards each other pretty fast. He had cocked back his right hand and as I got closer to him, his whole posture toned down dramatically (he was a smaller late 40's guy, maybe 150lbs and not in good shape). He was yelling at me and I told him to go ahead and hit me as I had a dash camera, so as soon as he hit me, I would put him down and it would be self-defense. He yelled some more and got back in his car and drove off.

Honestly, it was a VERY, VERY stupid situation all around. I felt like a complete idiot, so anybody thinking of lecturing me, just save it. I was lucky and I don't plan on having a roadside conversation again anytime soon.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:54 AM

Haha. We've all had a few of those.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:59 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
Looks like Acura or Honda leather?
OT. Looks like S2K upholstery. Nice color.

My Acura didn't have the pinholes. Much thicker leather.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:14 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

that is an awesome post card. i would frame it too. Sure seems like someone is just f@#king with ya though. My A.D.D. won't let me read all posts, but do you remember the day / situation or is this how you drive every day? ?
Old 06-08-2016, 06:43 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sabre
And you're totally sure it isnt a friend just screwing with you?

If his friends are like my friends, they'd use something far more funny or serious than "tailgating" and "failure to signal."

They'd send one like "driving while fat" "Driving without enough torque" or "Driving while checking out an ugly chick in the next lane".
Old 06-08-2016, 07:03 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL WTF? Jealous of your car? You don't have to be a cop to look up license plates, anyone can do to the TX DMV pay a few bucks and look up a name/address based on a plate. I've seen quite a bit of road rage in DFW but I'm prepared for it

Quick Reply: Got a postcard in the mail about my driving skilz!