Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Got a postcard in the mail about my driving skilz!

Old 06-07-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by David1
A license plate is in "public view" and public record. Anyone can go to any DMV and get your information just like accident reports are available to anyone for a fee. Your license plate is also available to any plate reader equipment to.
Not necessarily and not generally. People can't just "access your information" at all. They can generally access VEHICLE information but not OWNER information unless they file a request for that information (which is then on record).

I can only speak for my locale but here, they can't get your home address or your name or anything from your plate, unless they are law enforcement. Private parking lots hate it because they can ticket your car all day long for not paying the parking fee but they can't actually get your information to collect on a debt.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:22 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

My extensive watching of bad TV cop dramas (was it maybe NYPD Blue?? Early Law & Order?) tells me cops aren't allowed to look up license plates except in the line of duty.

Note: I may be completely off base on this.

Edit: Ah ha!

Bobby gets in trouble over the license plate he ran for Joey Salvo the previous week at the FBI's request when they will not stand up for him after IAB finds out about it, and he learns that the FBI suspects IAB of having someone on Salvo's payroll.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NYPD_Blue_(season_4)
Old 06-07-2016, 11:45 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by David1' timestamp='1465321322' post='23987197
A license plate is in "public view" and public record. Anyone can go to any DMV and get your information just like accident reports are available to anyone for a fee. Your license plate is also available to any plate reader equipment to.
Not necessarily and not generally. People can't just "access your information" at all. They can generally access VEHICLE information but not OWNER information unless they file a request for that information (which is then on record).

I can only speak for my locale but here, they can't get your home address or your name or anything from your plate, unless they are law enforcement. Private parking lots hate it because they can ticket your car all day long for not paying the parking fee but they can't actually get your information to collect on a debt.
I don't think it works quite the way you think. Sure, a cop probably shouldn't ware department resources on stuff like this, but public information is public information, meaning anyone who knows how can look it up. I can tell where someone lives based on their license plate, and I don't have to break any laws to find that information out.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:47 AM

It's kind of funny, Quickag. That guy got pretty butt hurt.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:23 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
I don't think it works quite the way you think. Sure, a cop probably shouldn't ware department resources on stuff like this, but public information is public information, meaning anyone who knows how can look it up. I can tell where someone lives based on their license plate, and I don't have to break any laws to find that information out.
According to other LEOs, it doesn't work that way at all. These types of searches are logged and you have to justify each and every one (if you're investigated). Just because you're a cop with access to information doesn't mean you have a right to look at it or use it aside from official business.

You can tell what state someone is from by looking at their plate but you can't know their name, city or actual address just by looking at their plate.

What the OP got was, quite frankly, harassing and unprofessional.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:31 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

It's amusing on one level, but on another what if the guy decided to take it to the next level? Would he show up at my house or vandalize my property to teach me a lesson? I don't like that mentally unstable people have access to find out a person's name and home address from a license plate.

My name and address were computer printed on a label. He then took the time to affix an additional 3 labels (following too closely, tailgating cop, and failure to signal) on one side of a pre-made postcard and then use a 'forever' stamp to send it to me. So, figure at least a buck of hard cost and a few minutes of time to notify me that based on his professional or unprofessional opinion, I was driving like a jackass.

It really is kind of disturbing people are so self-righteous as to do something like that and likely utilize resources at their job (off-duty cop or similar) to get access to vehicle owner/address info.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:48 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

And you're totally sure it isnt a friend just screwing with you?
Old 06-07-2016, 01:20 PM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

So you were tailgating and didn't use turn-signals, but you're playing the victim card?
Maybe... just maybe, don't be a terrible driver?

OTH, them spending the effort to mail you something is comical.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:48 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Looks like Acura or Honda leather?
Old 06-07-2016, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.' timestamp='1465328707' post='23987340
According to other LEOs, it doesn't work that way at all. These types of searches are logged and you have to justify each and every one (if you're investigated). Just because you're a cop with access to information doesn't mean you have a right to look at it or use it aside from official business.

You can tell what state someone is from by looking at their plate but you can't know their name, city or actual address just by looking at their plate.

What the OP got was, quite frankly, harassing and unprofessional.
I don't think we're on the same wavelength. I agree that cops can't use department resources to troll people. But I can legally do so and so can you.

Quick Reply: Got a postcard in the mail about my driving skilz!