Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Got My First VW today - 2024 Golf GTi

Old 05-02-2024, 02:22 PM

Received 3,786 Likes on 2,669 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
No no, you just discovered German engineering at its finest. JDMs do a decent job with their clips in that they generally will release when you press and pull, but sometimes you get a grumpy one, or have a randomly different one that's buried behind something that you can't see that happens to be a little different like needing to lift a lock tab or some bs. Domestics are terrible, just a hodge podge of random connectors which oftentimes break if you're not familiar with them. But ze Germans overengineer everything, so long as you know it needs a key, and that you have said key, you then have a consistent, effortless disconnection. Much of their older cars are the same way, if you know the order in which to disassemble something, it may be tedious, but there's a very matter of fact way that makes them actually easy to work on, despite being time consuming. Good example is like a timing belt on Boxsters. You'd think it'd be an absolute nightmare to do, but then you take out the seats and a few interior trim, there's an access window, and then boom full access, loosen tensioner and it's off. Spark plugs require a lift, taking the wheels off, liner, but once you get to them, boom easy access. Unlike say a BRZ, which per manual requires you tilting the engine (most people just use a series of articulating extension and a can do attitude). Modern German cars, or cars in general, are becoming increasingly the same, but that point about needing a key for the connectors sounds about par for the course.
So true. I had to help my brother in law replace spark plugs on his BMW 1 series, I also found the coil pack connectors to be a pain the rear end, and some of them were broken before I even touched them, from prior people messing with them.
I also dislike the idea of wheel bolts vs. lugnuts, and you also have caps on the wheel bolts, one more step in the wheel removal process, not my fancy.
The following users liked this post:
TheDonEffect (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 02:27 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
No no, you just discovered German engineering at its finest. JDMs do a decent job with their clips in that they generally will release when you press and pull, but sometimes you get a grumpy one, or have a randomly different one that's buried behind something that you can't see that happens to be a little different like needing to lift a lock tab or some bs. Domestics are terrible, just a hodge podge of random connectors which oftentimes break if you're not familiar with them. But ze Germans overengineer everything, so long as you know it needs a key, and that you have said key, you then have a consistent, effortless disconnection. Much of their older cars are the same way, if you know the order in which to disassemble something, it may be tedious, but there's a very matter of fact way that makes them actually easy to work on, despite being time consuming. Good example is like a timing belt on Boxsters. You'd think it'd be an absolute nightmare to do, but then you take out the seats and a few interior trim, there's an access window, and then boom full access, loosen tensioner and it's off. Spark plugs require a lift, taking the wheels off, liner, but once you get to them, boom easy access. Unlike say a BRZ, which per manual requires you tilting the engine (most people just use a series of articulating extension and a can do attitude). Modern German cars, or cars in general, are becoming increasingly the same, but that point about needing a key for the connectors sounds about par for the course.

You might be right, but the set I bought had about 50 keys in it and had to go one by one to figure out which one fit the connectors I needed. Maybe easier with some experience, a total PITA for first timers.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:43 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
You might be right, but the set I bought had about 50 keys in it and had to go one by one to figure out which one fit the connectors I needed. Maybe easier with some experience, a total PITA for first timers.

Yeah, that's sorta the thing about them, which is why those who specialize in certain German brands tend to stick with them, and why others may not be extra motivated to work on them.
Old 05-03-2024, 07:32 AM

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
So true. I had to help my brother in law replace spark plugs on his BMW 1 series, I also found the coil pack connectors to be a pain the rear end, and some of them were broken before I even touched them, from prior people messing with them.
I also dislike the idea of wheel bolts vs. lugnuts, and you also have caps on the wheel bolts, one more step in the wheel removal process, not my fancy.
Get one of these: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben.../002840sch01a/

Makes re-mounting the wheels so much easier...
The following 3 users liked this post by jnewtons2k:
jeffbrig (05-06-2024), windhund116 (05-03-2024), zeroptzero (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 08:39 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by jnewtons2k

I like! Especially for big 4-WD truck tires!

Last edited by windhund116; 05-03-2024 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:52 AM

Thanks very much, yeah that is a great idea and definitely what my back needs , I am going to get that for sure. I ordered a rear upper hatch spoiler from ECS a few weeks back that is now on the car, I will pick this up from them next, thanks so much.
jnewtons2k (05-04-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 03:58 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Nah - go for the genuine Porsche ones. Amazingly, they're actually a couple of bucks cheaper :P (Ten years ago, they were just $8 when I bought mine, lol)
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99957107430.html
The following 3 users liked this post by jeffbrig:
jnewtons2k (05-07-2024), rwheelz (05-07-2024), zeroptzero (05-07-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 01:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

VW and Audi are junk. Get ready for endless repairs.
Old 05-12-2024, 02:20 PM

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by bkowa092
Please enlighten those that own, so we know what to expect?
WolfpackS2k (05-13-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by bkowa092
I rarely own vehicles out of warranty, but the GTi looks pretty simple to work on if I ever needed to do basic repairs. One thing I never worry about is repairs as I have never had to do a basic repair on any of my daily driver vehicles over the last 40 years, just regular maintenance. My S2000 was the only vehicle I owned that suffered a major engine repair issue and I had to cover it myself, but it wasn't my daily driver.

I once owned two Dodge SRT-4 vehicles - both versions of it - and I remember Honda forum people constantly saying how unreliable they would be. Those cars turned out to be some of the most reliable vehicles I had owned back in the day, I did not have a single issue with the vehicles, zero defects and no reliability concerns.

Last edited by zeroptzero; 05-13-2024 at 03:11 AM.
JohnE (06-25-2024)

Quick Reply: Got My First VW today - 2024 Golf GTi