Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Got email to order Foundation Series Cyberbeast

Old 06-18-2024, 08:59 AM

Received 423 Likes on 236 Posts
Default Got email to order Foundation Series Cyberbeast

Struggling on whether to put down $1k non-refundable deposit. Delivery estimated between Oct-Dec of this year.

I think it would be fun and overall a great truck, but I really don't need it right now. Yes, I know all the compromises, I know some hate it, but I've heard it actually drives comfortable, quiet, tight turn radius, quick steering, and fast as heck.

Anyway, anyone want to talk me into it or out of buying it? I'm totally on the fence...
Old 06-18-2024, 11:23 AM

Received 280 Likes on 175 Posts

I had to Google what that is. Personally, I think that CyberTruck looks like a ridiculously stupid vehicle driven by pompous you know what. (which I know you're not). Not saying I'm right in making those driver assumptions, but it's my default view

I'd pass (i'm obviously biased)
The following 2 users liked this post by WolfpackS2k:
jeffbrig (06-19-2024), QUIKAG (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 11:48 AM

Received 611 Likes on 426 Posts

With how quickly you move through cars, I'd caution you on this solely for that reason only. Are you willing to be stuck with the vehicle for 1yr before you're able to sell it?

https://autos.yahoo.com/tesla-threat...124500041.html

The following users liked this post:
QUIKAG (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 12:33 PM

Received 1,226 Likes on 1,071 Posts

He bought a Cybertruck and his wife threw him out. Am I the only one not surprised here?

-- Chuck
WolfpackS2k (06-19-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 12:38 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,851 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
He bought a Cybertruck and his wife threw him out. Am I the only one not surprised here?

-- Chuck
That is not what the story says.
QUIKAG (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 12:46 PM

I think I'm going to hold if for no other reason than I don't need or necessarily want the $20k extra foundation series. It does come with some good stuff, but not $20k of value. I read that if I don't order the foundation series, they'll eventually circle back to me down the road with a normal order based on my reservation number. I can then decide then if I can live with it's polarizing looks and other craziness.

In the meantime, I'm pretty happy with what I have, but it did provide more of a thought exercise than I expected on whether to order one when the email came through yesterday evening. I wish I wasn't such a serial car whore.
Old 06-18-2024, 03:11 PM

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

Don’t you have the I6 Turbo Diesel already? Sorry it’s not going to be a better truck. EV’s depreciate like mad. As much as you are a vehicle trading whore, do you want to take a bath like that on a $100,000 purchase? I mean July 4th is right around the corner. You’d be better off lighting off roadside stand fireworks with bennies compared to buying that awful thing.

A friend who works for GMF, just bought a brand new AT4 Duramax, all tricked out. It was 60k. Leaves $40k to put down on the Z06.
QUIKAG (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
Don’t you have the I6 Turbo Diesel already? Sorry it’s not going to be a better truck. EV’s depreciate like mad. As much as you are a vehicle trading whore, do you want to take a bath like that on a $100,000 purchase? I mean July 4th is right around the corner. You’d be better off lighting off roadside stand fireworks with bennies compared to buying that awful thing.

A friend who works for GMF, just bought a brand new AT4 Duramax, all tricked out. It was 60k. Leaves $40k to put down on the Z06.
This is all true and I do really like the I6 Duramax truck I have. It’s just really nice, comfortable, smooth, and torquey with solid mileage. Yep, save money for the Z06/ZR1.
Old 06-19-2024, 11:33 AM

Received 518 Likes on 398 Posts

I'm sure it's the same over there, but over here I already see enough of them that the novelty has worn off. I remember when I saw the first one in the wild, people in the streets were stopping and taking photos, etc. Now if it gets a look it's more of a sneering sorta look.

Despite my criticisms of Tesla, I give them a ton of credit for this vehicle in particular. They're pushing the world with 48v, the battery cells are bigger and more efficient, etc etc, and reading that Yahoo article it seems like they're the only OEM actually trying to do something about the flipper market.

With all that said, I'd pass. It's a fast pick up, ok great, but do I really want to go that fast in a vehicle like that, I mean sure on a test drive or rental, but as my actual vehicle, I dunno. It that's what you're into, then there is nothing like it in the world, and I totally get buying something for the novelty of it. But I don't find it that novel anymore, and for me it's a meh. The compromises as a vehicle, and the perceived down the road issues are enough for me to not want it.

But today is Wednesday, so I think that's reason enough for you buy something right? lol
QUIKAG (06-20-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 01:59 PM

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
This is all true and I do really like the I6 Duramax truck I have. It’s just really nice, comfortable, smooth, and torquey with solid mileage. Yep, save money for the Z06/ZR1.
You damn well know the CT is just a look at me vehicle for all the scatterbrained attention seeking whores out there. EV Trucks, towing, like say your car to the track. Yeah ECR, maybe, but anything farther, you are f’d. EV Trucks just suck at doing truck things like towing someplace a few hours away, you’ll have to stop and charge.

Then you flip to “I wanna go off-road” ok then. But a CT, Raptor, any “expensive” truck, you really gonna off-road and scratch the expensive vehicle, buy new bumpers, etc, going off-road? Nah, very very few do that and honestly having spent my fair time off-road, SXS, ATV, or MX all day. I do understand those who buy, say a 4 year old, 10 year old Wrangler, and trick it out. I get that. But nobody with any common sense is gonna off-road the CT unless it’s AZ or CA and hit the desert. I wouldn’t want to take a CT or Raptor, or anything expensive down the national forest roads where my rural land is. I’ve driven those extensively and again, SXS, ATV, or MX, all damn day.

So that leaves the CT for commuting turf in reality, Costco trips, I mean driving you could do in a damn Prius, and save yourself $60,000 or more. If hell bent on an EV DD or something, and you’re hooked on Tethla, OK cool, go buy a M3P or MYP, and call it a day. You’ll get the equivalent speed, better handling, better driving dynamics, and save yourself $50,000. Or like Don pointed out, wait for the next new Tethla car thing, that has the 48V etc improvements.

The CT is for the superficial, image/status crowd. F all that. For $100k, I’d take my friends AT4 Duramax and a Prius for that kind of money. I drove his new Duramax AT4, that’s a stump puller but honestly I have no need for that level of towing capability at all. It was nice, but too got damn big for regular parking spaces in busy areas like restaurants and stores. But what the F do I know? I’m as anti-superficial as it gets. I’ve always bought vehicles based on what I’m actually going to do with it, not what I am not. Got tempted, once, to order what I call a “show” car back in the day and said F that too. One of my bikes is really attention getting/looking, as it’s a race bike with race bodywork but even on that I’m in a tinted visor Shoei and A* full suit so nobody has a clue who I am and any stare downs get a whack of the throttle and I’m out.

I think “new new” has you again. Maybe time to trade the ITS in for something else! Wanna blow $100k? Buy a MSP. Or be patient and wait for the crossplane!

Quick Reply: Got email to order Foundation Series Cyberbeast