Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Good lord is Ford stupid

Old 05-20-2007, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wtf is wrong with some of you? Who the hell cares what it looks like? NO cheap economy car looks even halfway decent these days, except maybe the Mazda3, and that's just not ugly. If we got the Euro Focus, you'd be trashing it the same as you trash everything else we get from Detroit.

And seriously, who the hell cares about ugly disposable deathtraps, no matter who makes them?!? "oooh the new Fit has such a nice interior, I gotta have it!" :/ They're all pieces of crap for people who can't afford better but aren't smart enough to buy a better used car for the same money or less. Detroit doesn't make squat on them so there is very little incentive to invest heavily in one for the US market. They only sell them because of stupid gov't. regs that mandate them. I don't blame Ford for not making any effort to bring a car that they make peanuts on to the US.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why don't you tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back....

Old 05-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by rockville,May 20 2007, 12:20 PM
Really, I'm sure there are a number of reasons (good and bad) we have what we have but I'm certain that these notions that we are smarter than those making the choices at Ford is not one of them.
I don't know that that is true. I am a car enthusiast and if I were in charge of Ford I would say " Alot of people like small cars, why don't we have a good one?" or "Family cars are making billions for Toyota and Honda why don't we have a good one?" (now they have a decent one after rebadging mazda 6's in different clothing)

I would not have greenlighted the Excursion, which was a shortlived turd. I also would not greenlight stuff like Lightnings either. It would also occur to me that the Explorer is REALLY REALLY long in the tooth. Sales of those dropped about 30% last year.

Even though I am not a huge fan of F150's and Mustangs, if they sell, build them, and keep them state of the art rather than carry over for ten model years.

The focu was a hit at introduction here, why are we still seeing basically the same car a decade later, but with bodywork that keeps getting LESS attractive?

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see the handwriting on the wall of the auto industry.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by GT_2003,May 20 2007, 12:51 PM
wtf is wrong with some of you? Who the hell cares what it looks like? NO cheap economy car looks even halfway decent these days, except maybe the Mazda3, and that's just not ugly. If we got the Euro Focus, you'd be trashing it the same as you trash everything else we get from Detroit.

And seriously, who the hell cares about ugly disposable deathtraps, no matter who makes them?!? "oooh the new Fit has such a nice interior, I gotta have it!" :/ They're all pieces of crap for people who can't afford better but aren't smart enough to buy a better used car for the same money or less. Detroit doesn't make squat on them sothere is very litle icentive to invest heavily in one for the US market. They only sell them because of stupid gov't. regs that mandate them. I don't blame Ford for not making any effort to bring a car that they make peanuts on to the US.
You should send them your resume. You'll get top level management for sure.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by vader1,May 20 2007, 11:32 AM
Even though I am not a huge fan of F150's and Mustangs, if they sell, build them, and keep them state of the art rather than carry over for ten model years.
dude, the reason those cars sell well is because they are cheap. They are cheap because ford puts zero development costs, very low material costs (ever seen a new mustang dash?), and counts on huge volume to bring down production costs. If you "keep them state of the art", you immediately lose 90% of the people that buy these models because the price inevitably goes up.

Nothing wrong w/ state of the art vehicles, but not for a company like Ford that requires massive volume to cover their fixed expenses.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by vader1,May 20 2007, 11:33 AM
You should send them your resume. You'll get top level management for sure.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by vader1,May 20 2007, 11:32 AM
I don't know that that is true. I am a car enthusiast and if I were in charge of Ford I would say " Alot of people like small cars, why don't we have a good one?"
because they don't make squat on them? Seriously, who said Ford had to do EVERYTHING like some other company? Why don't you buy Honda or Toyota if you like their cars better? Nobody really cares. Detroit makes far more money on their trucks than they will ever make on their low-end cars, and that's the way they like it.

How many Toyotas can the market support? If everyone made a Toyota there would not be enough buyers to go around, and everyone would suffer. If you actually look at the market, not very many companies intentionally challenge the exact same niche. It just doesn't make any sense to compete for the same dollars with the same product. You always want to be putting a product on the market that has distinguishing features, be it power, space, price, or whatever. This isn't just restricted to cars and trucks. There is absolutely no point in going into business if all you aspire to is selling copies of your competitors for the same money.

I may not be "top-level management material," but I'm not the one suggesting Ford compete in a market where they don't stand to make any money. All the resources that they would need to devote to manufacturing and development for the low-margin small car segment would not return the kind of money that they need right now. I fail to see how someone can think that is a good idea - it reeks of ignorance. As far as Ford not making a decent family sedan, who else makes a full size RWD V8 sedan that starts at $25K? It sure as hell isn't Honda or Toyota.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

who else makes a full size RWD V8 sedan that starts at $25K? It sure as hell isn't Honda or Toyota.
what do you mean the crown vic? or whatever they call it now days? Who the hell cares about one of those? Old people? Taxi companies? Cops? lol Those cars wouldnt exsist anymore if it wasnt for fleet sales.

Hell dodge has the charger starting at $21,000 (probably with a v6) but its a hell of alot nicer than ford's grampa car.

Ford makes some great cars. But they are MUCH to stuck on their 'prize creations' such as the Mustang and their trucks. (granted i actually feel their trucks are well built)...but speaking for the Mustang. Ford acts as if it is the ONLY car they care about and that IT is the ONLY way to say them. They make like 25 different "special Edition" mustangs just withen the last few years. Its pathatic.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:08 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GT_2003,May 20 2007, 06:38 PM
As far as Ford not making a decent family sedan, who else makes a full size RWD V8 sedan that starts at $25K? It sure as hell isn't Honda or Toyota.
With gas approaching $4.00, nobody is making a Minivan with a V12 getting 8mpg either... why don't you send a letter to Ford and see if you can get them to capitalize on the people in this untapped market segment... all two of them.

(If you didn't understand the sarcasm, it is that people trying to buy a car <$25k will be affected by rising gas costs more than the luxury buyers are)
Old 05-20-2007, 08:56 PM

Euro cars fetch a higher price so bring them here wont be the answer unless you want a $35K Focus. Let's face it, Ford couldn't design a nice design unless they just ripoff old ones for the moment. Too bad since they use to make some of the best looking cars on the road(flame suit on) .

Sam

Quick Reply: Good lord is Ford stupid