Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Good lord is Ford stupid

Old 05-19-2007, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Onehots2k,May 19 2007, 07:35 AM
Now i wouldnt mind driving that Euro Spec Focus.

that is a very cool car. albeit probably expensive.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:04 PM

I would have preferred they just stick with the first gen with an upgraded interior.
Really, the Focus platform is a great platform even at what 7 years old (ie about the same as the S2000). The issue isn't the platform, never was. The issue is the so-so interior fit and finish and the iffy styling. Basically if Ford did a better job with the platform they wouldn't have to worry about it.
To bad they instead dumped the hatch backs (same is true for the idiots who decided the Civic shouldn't have a hatch) and gave the car questionable styling. The preview shots of the interior seem iffy at this point.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sorry, but the Civic hatch never sold all that well. Not having one for the US is basically a no-brainer.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:57 AM

The Mazda3 hatch is selling well. The Rabbit/Golf hatch is selling well. The Focus hatch also sold well. I don't see why Ford or Honda would drop the hatches. At least Ford has a somewhat passable excuse in that as of 2008 there is no hatch based on that platform. Not a good one as the platform certainly supports a hatch. Honda is even worse because there IS a Civic hatch in other markets. Honda simply chose not to sell it here. Instead we get the Fit. Come on, for even money (which they just about are) I
Old 05-20-2007, 09:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

you know that 'new focus' looks ALOT like the new WRX front end. Either way its completely and totally horrendous looking.

The euro focus on the other hand is DAMN sweet. Its no wonder ford is doing so bad when they made ugly ass shit here and have all the hot fords overseas. :bangheads:
Old 05-20-2007, 10:03 AM

IMO, its going to take a new owner for Ford to change. They seem like they are a bunch of complete idiots, and are just running it into the ground with "restructuring" which is only a band-aid if you dont fix the real problem.

I am with everyone else in saying that I would rock the Euro focus anyday.

How about we all pitch in, buy Ford, turn it around, and make millions each!
Old 05-20-2007, 10:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think one of the reasons is that the proud engineers and designers in the US would have a fit if their "pride and joy" were replaced with euro-trash.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

False pride is what's killing the company... the ongoing inability to admit there's a problem is incompatible with success in the current field.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:20 AM

Not really, the original Focus (and thus the US platform) came from Ford of Europe.

Really, I'm sure there are a number of reasons (good and bad) we have what we have but I'm certain that these notions that we are smarter than those making the choices at Ford is not one of them. Chances are if we were put in charge of Honda or Toyota we would run it into the ground in a decade. We the car enthusiast would likely run it like Mitsubishi or Nissan. Note that both Mitsubishi and Nissan produced cars (especially in the 80s and early 90s) that represented what engineers loved. Honda and Toyota were more conservative and did mainstream stuff. Look what's happened to the tech for tech sakes leaders. Look what happened to conservative companies.

One other thing, Bill Ford said he didn't want to run the company. It looks like there was a good reason. The current product line is weak.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:20 AM

It's really sad and disappointing to watch a car company piss itself away down the drain. And cars like that make you wonder who's running the company...it seems to me like any average person off the street who has any desire for automobiles could design more passionate and exciting vehicles.

At least Automobile is giving us something to laugh about. I took their poll...the Ford Fugly it is.

Quick Reply: Good lord is Ford stupid