Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Good Daily Beater?

Old 10-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Site Moderator

Received 355 Likes on 308 Posts

Oh but something to remember about any 90's honda is they get stolen ALOT. You may be better off with something alittle less popular with the car theives.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for all the advice!! its greatly appreciated. I am considering selling some things to maybe increase my budget to around 7k. I am really wanting something different from the s2k so that when in the s2000 it just seems that much more enjoyable. I am not trying to spend much because im trying to stay car-payment free. The subaru is looking great so far. Id like to have a 4 door integra but the theft possiblity just turns me off to it. Id like something normal to blend in during the daily grinds.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My old Toyota Matrix was an awesome daily. I loved it. Never had any mechanical issues with it. You might be able to find one under 7000.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

For a daily beater you must buy a Honda. Almost anything made in the 90s from American auto is very poor quality and if your even considering German made your full out crazy.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in the same boat.
Will eventually need a roomy beater for cheap.

I think I'm glnna wait for a good accord maybe accord wagon or protege hatch. Something with some decent trunk space in case I need to move a set of wheels or Costco. Lol.

Old subys are not a bad idea.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by woodburn
For a daily beater you must buy a Honda. Almost anything made in the 90s from American auto is very poor quality and if your even considering German made your full out crazy.
I have to disagree on the German made statement. 90's BMW 3 series are great beater cars that will run forever but unfortunately are kind of expensive to fix little things so you would need to find one in great condition. Like stated above the Forester would be a great choice if i were in your situation
Old 10-20-2011, 08:52 PM

You certainly don't have to buy a Honda and for $7k you don't need to go back to the 1990s either.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rockville
Originally Posted by woodburn' timestamp='1319169391' post='21088689
You certainly don't have to buy a Honda and for $7k you don't need to go back to the 1990s either.
Yeah pretty much anything from toyota or honda even mazda too.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by rockville' timestamp='1319172753' post='21088766
[quote name='woodburn' timestamp='1319169391' post='21088689']
Yeah pretty much anything from toyota or honda even mazda too.
[/quote]
And quite a few from the Koreans and Americans would be good choices. I even bet there are some great European options (I rather like used SAABs my self). Again I don't think used Hondas are always that good because often the used car price is so high you can get a used other brand for less. When I was looking at used trucks I looked at Toyota but the price of a used Taco was much higher than that of a used Ranger for the same age and mileage. It was about the case that a 70k 4-5 year old Ranger cost the same as a 10 year old Toyota with 2x the mileage. The Toyota may be better but it wasn't that much better. Your logic, which has merit, is the idea that a X year old Civic or Corolla with X miles is better than a Focus or Accent of the same age and mileage. Well that is true though I think you will find the differences often aren't as much as you think. However, when you factor in asking price often the value of the Toyota or Honda isn't as good. I also, personally, would leave most Hondas and Toyotas out since hatches were rare. It's clear you like Honda and Asian cars in general but try to be a bit more objective.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by alex s
Foresters are a great little car/ute/wagon/whatever you want to call it. I have a turbo one, so I may be a little bit biased. I can tell you this though, the gas mileage isn't great on the turbo OR the non-turbo. Expect 18-20 in the city and 21-24 on the hwy. All the automatic Foresters utilize an archaic 4-speed (even my '10) and the 5-speeds are hard to find in turbo trim (also with that tranny you start running into reliability issues with anything over 300-320ish whp). Just something to keep in mind if you mod.

I can tell you, it's tough. I leased my mine, so I don't treat it with the same regard as my s2000 and it takes it all. You'd be amazed at the sheer amount of cargo you can stuff into it as well. It's a pretty good compromise between daily driver and fun at the wheel.
Wait so the auto tranny can take more abuse than the manual one?
Honda/Acura/BMW-e46 could all learn a thing or two from Subaru!

Quick Reply: Good Daily Beater?