Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Good car sighting morning on the way to work

Old 08-04-2009, 05:26 AM

Received 426 Likes on 237 Posts
Default Good car sighting morning on the way to work

Typically, my 30 minute, 23 mile drive each way to work is boring. There is this crazy dude who ALWAYS hauls a** in a black Mazdaspeed 3 that I've seen a few dozen times because his likelihood of passing me is good. If I'm doing 75 and he's doing 95+, he's always catching up to me at least a few times a month.

Typically, I'm in my truck (or today I was testing our new Ford Fusion our company got for a sales guy) and the guy blew by me again today, but it's hard to take chase in a Yukon or 4 banger Fusion.

Literally, it's like his average cruising speed is 95mph and I've seen him do it so many times to and from work, I'm used to it. One day, I was driving the C6 to work and he passed me. Well, let's just say he got a taste of what my car sounded near redline right past his ear at 130mph. We exchanged thumbs up and I've talked to him at a stoplight before. He's pretty cool.

Well, today I saw a silver GT-R driven by a 60ish year old white dude and then a little further down the road, I see a blue Corvette and as I get closer, it's the new ZR1. It looked great in person. It was also driven by a 60ish year old white dude that actually looked pretty similiar to the GT-R driver. Good times.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Aug 4 2009, 05:26 AM
Typically, my 30 minute, 23 mile drive each way to work is boring. There is this crazy dude who ALWAYS hauls a** in a black Mazdaspeed 3 that I've seen a few dozen times because his likelihood of passing me is good. If I'm doing 75 and he's doing 95+, he's always catching up to me at least a few times a month.

Typically, I'm in my truck (or today I was testing our new Ford Fusion our company got for a sales guy) and the guy blew by me again today, but it's hard to take chase in a Yukon or 4 banger Fusion.

Literally, it's like his average cruising speed is 95mph and I've seen him do it so many times to and from work, I'm used to it. One day, I was driving the C6 to work and he passed me. Well, let's just say he got a taste of what my car sounded near redline right past his ear at 130mph. We exchanged thumbs up and I've talked to him at a stoplight before. He's pretty cool.

Well, today I saw a silver GT-R driven by a 60ish year old white dude and then a little further down the road, I see a blue Corvette and as I get closer, it's the new ZR1. It looked great in person. It was also driven by a 60ish year old white dude that actually looked pretty similiar to the GT-R driver. Good times.
The GT-R has such road presence when seen in person. I liked it a lot. Only had they offered it in manual

Even though there's little cosmetic difference between a ZR1 and a Z06(fenders, wheels, CF roof, CF spoilers etc.), the stance of a ZR1 is unmistakable.
I've only seen 1 on the streets, although I see probably a dozen in the proving grounds.

Interesting morning you had.

Dan
Old 08-04-2009, 06:12 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

There are two people (or maybe the same person?) who commute in Maseratis on the same roads as me, every day, rain, snow, or shine. One has a new coupe (Gran Tourismo?) and one has a Quattroporte. They both sound incredible.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:17 AM

Received 426 Likes on 237 Posts

[QUOTE=nearwater4me,Aug 4 2009, 06:10 AM] The GT-R has such road presence when seen in person. I liked it a lot.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Aug 4 2009, 06:17 AM
It might have been one of the first GT-R's to go off-roading too. We hit a major accident on 114 and the guy cut through the grass and hopped off a small curb onto the access road. He went slow enough that it didn't appear to scrape anything, but I was surprised the guy didn't hestitate to follow other cars as they cut off the road onto the grass.

That gentlemen got balls going over curbs and such.
I would've just sit there wait for the road to clear up.

Dan
Old 08-04-2009, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Aug 4 2009, 06:12 AM
One has a new coupe (Gran Tourismo?) and one has a Quattroporte. They both sound incredible.
No doubt about it.
I've heard a Quattroporte really stepping on the gas after I gave him a thumbsup.

Dan
Old 08-04-2009, 06:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Maserati Gran Turismo is such a beautiful car. Probably the most aesthetically pleasing car on the road, IMO. It's just so striking. Different, yet subtle. Refined but very original. Hands down my favorite looking car. I'd like to pick one up if they offered it in a manual.

I saw a GTR on the road the other day. We lined up at the light. I didn't think he would floor it but he did to get in front of me to make a right at the light. When I saw him gun it, I mashed the throttle, though obviously a bit later than he did. With the turbo lag in my car, I thought I was in third. Had I known he was going to floor it, I would have been ready and ultimately, smoked him.

Hey, it was only like 1/32 of a mile between the lights!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:36 AM

very cool.

in the past three days i've spotted a GTR, a Z8, a 430 vert, a gallardo vert - all within a couple miles of my apartment.

not normal for cinci.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:43 AM

I see your ZR1 and GTR and raise you a Diablo 6.0.

Kennedy Blvd in Tampa Monday. I met the guy a few months ago at Cars and Coffee in Clearwater. Nice guy - gorgeous Diablo. Red/snowcorn interior. Sounds amazing. .and I love the plate... "205 MPH" - Daily driven. May not be as expensive as some of the others on the road today, but definately a high maintenance and rare piece.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:26 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I saw a light blue Tesla in Plano the other night. The strange thing is that it did not jump out at me much, I guess I'm just used to look at the back of the Elise parked in the garage too long

Quick Reply: Good car sighting morning on the way to work