Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Good or bad product?

Old 03-28-2004, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good or bad product?

Instead of getting a Valentine One or Passport 8500, I'm think about getting a Rock Mountain C450, which is a radar and laser detector/scrambler. Has anyone had personal experience with this product or any Rocky Mountain product? I'm just looking to see if it's worth the money: retails for $350.

Here's their site:
http://www.rockymountainradar.com/product_...236f1654842443a
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Radar/Laser Detector With Fully Integrated Radar/Laser Scrambler
Old 03-29-2004, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any FCC-legal product that claims to scramble radar and lidar is full of crap. Makes my "instant BS-alert" turn on. At that price why wouldn't you buy a known-good detector, like the ones you mentioned?
Old 03-29-2004, 12:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Truth About Rocky Mountain Radar (aka RMR)
"The only "jamming" that took place with RMR (Rocky Mountain Radar) jammers was the word "Jammer" on the box, Speed Measurement Labs, Independent Testing 2003." Rocky Mountain Radars products which go under names such as RMR-C302, Phantom, Phantom II, Phantom III, Black Widow, Phazer, Phazer II, Shadow, Eclipse, Mirage and Spirit (they change frequently), RMR-c410, RMR-c430, RMR-DLS310, RMR-DLS312, RMR-DLS350, RMR-210, RMR-230, RMR-250 have never been proven to work AT ALL against jamming radar or laser. Test after Independent tests shows that these products are barely acceptable as detectors (see recent tests below).

Rocky Mountain Radar does a tremendous amount of advertising of Phazer, Phantom and the RMR line and claims to "pay $100 of your ticket" if one of their products does not work. Here's the scam. The product may cost $40 to manufacture. You buy it for $299...you get a ticket and they send you $100. They are still up over $150. Furthermore, the cost of a ticket is minimal compared to the increase in your insurance rates.

Here's some Independent Test Results for Rocky Mountain Radar(RMR)

Speed Measurement Laboratories recently tested numerous products (2003). Here is a how the SML lab tests for RMR products can be summed up:

"We ran the RMR jammers a total of sixteen times toward the police operated radar and laser guns. Not a hint of jamming. Then the writer was shown how to operate the radar and laser guns and he aimed them at the RMR jammers approaching the 1,000 foot cone. He saw for himself. Same result. The only "jamming" that took place with RMR jammers was the word "Jammer" on the box."

Radar and Laser Detector testing: Worst performing on all tests.
Radar Jamming and Laser Jamming: Ineffective on all tests.

- Troubleshooter.com
"Rocky Mountain Radar (Mike Churchman, owner) - makes false advertising claims about his products. The company produces radar and laser jammers. The products simply do not work. I have tested them many times and they have never blocked, deflected, absorbed or confused police radar or laser guns as advertised. Each time I invited Churchman to observe the tests and even instruct us on how to properly test them (even though I believe no instruction should be necessary -- either they work or they don't). He has refused to address our test results."

- RadarTest.com
"Except for the Phantom, which contains rudimentary radar-detection circuitry, each is essentially an empty box with a 12-volt power cord, a cheap cast-plastic waveguide assembly, one or two front-mounted LEDs, a basic power-supply circuit and a button or two. Press the button and an LED lights up, accompanied by a tinny bird whistle. ("Our patented 'FM Chirp', " company salesmen proudly proclaim.) We've tested these products a dozen times against every front-line police radar gun and laser, finding all of them utterly worthless."
Old 03-29-2004, 01:39 PM

Wow! Thanks for the info!

So you guys are sure on those findings, heh? I'm sure not to buy it then. Time to go back to either Val 1 or 8500. Thanx!
Old 03-29-2004, 01:56 PM

Valentine 1 would be my vote.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:44 PM

So you think the arrows on the Valentine 1 is worth an extra $100? Because they are both comparable in performance. I'm looking for either one for a decent price.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:02 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Purple_sky
So you think the arrows on the Valentine 1 is worth an extra $100?
Old 03-30-2004, 09:19 AM

Believe the tests. I bought one a few years ago and a friend of mine who is a very understanding police officer checked out a radar unit and we did our own tests. Our tests indicated that the unit had precisely the same affect on police radar as a jelly donut on the dash. They did honor the return for refund.