Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

GM's "Roadster" For Sale Cheap

Old 10-19-2005, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steve c,Oct 19 2005, 06:53 AM
So they kill the Camaro because of low sales volume -- then they replace it with this 50k neither here nor there truck/car/ugly thing that sells even fewer units per year.

Riiight.

For what its worth if you read the ad it says 3 available at this price --- and looks like a dealer trick to get bodies into the showroom --- almost but not quite bait and switch.
word! good post

I have driven the 05, its very very different, and it takes a unique buyer to really want one at that price. Too bad they dont start at 29K.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Slamnasty,Oct 19 2005, 08:16 PM
A 5,000 lb roadster... isn't that an oxymoron?

Not if you consider the Merc SL, which has hovered between 4000 and 4500 pounds for more than a few years.
Sure, the Mercedes-Benz SL is heavy, but it is a techno-wonder roadster for folks who can afford it.

At least give credit to Benz for also offering the nimbler SLK 6-cyl and 8-cyl roadsters.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:47 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDawgS2000,Oct 19 2005, 02:17 PM
A LOT of people still gawk at that thing going down the road.
Gawking does not equal appreciation. Take a geo metro and cover it with poo and see if lot of people gawk at it.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Palmateer,Oct 20 2005, 06:30 AM
Sure, the Mercedes-Benz SL is heavy, but it is a techno-wonder roadster for folks who can afford it.

At least give credit to Benz for also offering the nimbler SLK 6-cyl and 8-cyl roadsters.
GM offers 8 and 4 cyl roadsters in addition to the SSR. You going to give them any credit?
Old 10-20-2005, 10:05 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Slithr,Oct 20 2005, 11:22 AM
GM offers 8 and 4 cyl roadsters in addition to the SSR. You going to give them any credit?
While I agree with the point you are trying to make, some of the GM bashing is GM bashing while I think some of it is pointing out huge discounts on cars that 99% of people are flabbergasted ever got the green light for production.

IMHO, cars like the Aztek and this thing are such poor execution (especially the original SSR without the high hp) that it is mind boggling any exec said, WOW!, that's a beaut! Lets Run with it!" That criticism is EXTREMELY fair in my opinion and fits well in this case.

They could have done a case study to find that the Dakota convertible pickup was not a big seller and perhaps would be a flop in GM's case as well, regardless of how you style it.

truck+roadster= TOADSTER
Old 10-20-2005, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Slithr,Oct 20 2005, 09:22 AM
Sorry, the point I was replying to was about overweight roadsters.

The main point is about deep discounting of a preposterous GM "roadster."
Old 10-20-2005, 04:46 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by steve c,Oct 19 2005, 06:53 AM
So they kill the Camaro because of low sales volume -- then they replace it with this 50k neither here nor there truck/car/ugly thing that sells even fewer units per year.

Riiight.

For what its worth if you read the ad it says 3 available at this price --- and looks like a dealer trick to get bodies into the showroom --- almost but not quite bait and switch.
steve, what the hell are you talking about.

its only a scam when they show an ad car to create the illusion that all of the similar cars are the same price. they specifically say in this ad that they have 3 to choose from.

when a dealer says "2005 honda accord EX for 19,995" and then it says a stock number under in the fine print, that is shady and they are trying to lure people in under the assumption that all cars like that are that price.

but when they tell you that they have a limited number at that price, then thats not deceptive.

and in this case they were trying to illustrate that they had a lot of those vehicles. 3 is a lot for a car like that. what do you think that they are trying to pull here? that they actually have fifty in stock, and they are trying to convince you to buy one because you think tey are going fast?

i'm not trying to break your balls here, i'm just not sure what you are reffering to.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Right .. that's why it is in small print in the area your eye is least likely to look at (ask any designer). Also not sure where you read that they have a lot of them ...
Old 10-20-2005, 05:07 PM

what are you talking about, it clearly says that they have three of them. thats a lot for a car like this.

and just for the record i have been in or around the car business my entire professional life. when you want to hide something from them you put it in the fine print at the bottom, and you throw an * by the priginal claim.

i am just saying that you are off base saying that they are being misleading on this ad. i am not trying to defend them, i dont give a shit i'm just saying that this is not what you claim it to be.

think about it like this. you have some car that you cant get rid of. why would you lie and say that you have three. when you really have...

wait a minute, what in the hell were you even tyring to say that they were attempting to accomplish by putting the "we have 3 avaiable" thing in there.

i can tell you what they are being misleading about in that add. if you can guess it i'll give you a cookie.

again, i'm not trying to break your balls, i just dont know what you are getting at.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:13 PM

the only thing that is really screwy in this add is the fact that there is a stock number listed, which means that it is a specific vehicle. all of the others that they have willnot be priced the same. when they say " three others at SIMILAR savings" they are being somewhat misleading. the other three that they have will have something like a rebate, or some other thing that applies to all vehicles. but they will have different equipment and therefore cost more. and lets say the ad car will have a rebate, a dealership discount, a blah blah blah, the others dont have to have any of those things and they are still considered "similar: because they all three have the rebate.

i dont know the specifics for this vehicel and ad, i'm just giving an example

Quick Reply: GM's "Roadster" For Sale Cheap