Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

GM's Best Sedan?

Old 08-26-2009, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the size and weight of a 5 series, marketed at the 3 series which it will under cut by thousands. It's sophisticated like Jack In the Box. Yes, it's bigger and cheaper. And yes you can get it in sirloin (maybe, if they bring the Insignia XFR over, otherwise it's just normal ground beef Insignia). And no, it's not filet mignon even if sirloin does connect with the tenderloin on the cow.

-Quite possibly the single most retarded sentence ever posted on the internet.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:55 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by alexh,Aug 26 2009, 12:09 PM
It's the size and weight of a 5 series, marketed at the 3 series which it will under cut by thousands. It's sophisticated like Jack In the Box. Yes, it's bigger and cheaper. And yes you can get it in sirloin (maybe, if they bring the Insignia XFR over, otherwise it's just normal ground beef Insignia). And no, it's not filet mignon even if sirloin does connect with the tenderloin on the cow.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by alexh,Aug 26 2009, 12:09 PM

/Shrug, to each their own. I can think of several cars I'd rather be subjected to. In the Accord/Camry world it's probably not so bad, which is what it really competes with (VXR excluded) and not a BMW 3 series. There's a reason people buy 3 series and not Accord and it's not entirely for the snob appeal.

Oviously, I haven't driven it, but yah.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/j...icle5292547.ece

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/312874...a-salesman.html
Apparently the new Insignia was benchmarked against the Ford Mondeo for handling and the Volkswagen Passat for the interior and build quality. "I wanted 80 per cent of the Mondeo's handling," says the Insignia's vehicle line executive, Jim Federico, referring to the high driver inputs the Mondeo demands. He neglected to add: "And 80 per cent of the Passat's cabin quality," although the Insignia does fall some way short of the VW in a number of areas. The cabin is clearly inspired by the Passat, with its sweeping trim line across the bottom of the windscreen and into the doors. On the whole, it's smart and comfortable, with plenty of accommodation front and rear, and a huge and pleasantly shallow boot. It's not all brilliant, however. The centre console, while easy to use, is finished in nauseously greasy plastic, similar to that of the grubby dismembered doll's head that our dog found under a hedge. Some of the leather seat options feel like overstuffed armchairs and there are spectacularly bad colour schemes, including a sort of last-in-the-box fondant-filling hue mixed with puppy-poo brown.
In other words, get a Mondeo if you have to buy a sensible family sedan (Volvo S80 is as close as we get) and care about driving or get a Passat if you don't. On the upside, it's a lot cheaper than the Passat so maybe it's not surprising it's not as good a car.

So, if a fat family sedan excites you it's probably great. If not, well, get a CTS
Old 08-26-2009, 07:59 PM

I don't think the S80 and Mondeo are at all related. The S80 and Taurus are rather related.

I do wish we still got the Mondeo. The Contour was great in many ways and the newest Modeos seem to simply fix the Modeo mk1/Contours weak points.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:24 PM

Same platform, which doesn't mean much everything rides on shared platforms these days.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:12 AM

Are you sure the Mondeo and S80 are on the same platform?

Edit: You are right. I was thinking the S80 and Taurus are on the same platform. My confusion is that the 2006 S80 platform is shared with the Taurus. The current S80 is shared with the Mondeo. So as I thought the Taurus and Mondeo aren't related but through two generations of S80 there is a relation.