Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

GM too stupid to build good hybrids..

Old 06-06-2005, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM too stupid to build good hybrids..

Topic title is just a joke-I'm not really a GM-hater..
But this is a link to an article about GM holding a competition to re-engineer the Equinox to reduce gas consumption. Rose-Hulman, one of the colleges involved, is my old school.

http://www.tribstar.com/articles/200...ews/news04.txt
Old 06-06-2005, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha, do you knwo about the Chevrolet Silverado hybrid? Unlike the parallel and series system used by Honda and Toyota, the Silverado just shuts off its engine at stops. Then, it has an alternate battery for airconditioning, headlights, etc. (in other words, no electric motor). The mileage from engine shut off increases by 1-2 mpg (to 18 mpg, I believe), and there's no improvement in emissions. I read a review on it on a hybrid website, and it got harsh reviews! That's like a Christian website saying a Veggie Tales movie was boring.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

other words, no electric motor
t mates a 42-volt electric motor with a 5.3-liter Vortec V8 - the same 295 horsepower / 330 pounds-feet of torque V8 you can find in a traditional Silverado

I believe GM is using Toyota's first or second generation hybrid system in upcoming GM hybrids.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:02 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Toyota wants to licence their system, it'll become like "Intel Inside" of the hybrid car world.

Makes sense to me, If I was GM any association with honda or Toyota is a good thing. I mean most people think a Honda engine in a Saturn is better than a GM engin. Right or wrong that's what most people think.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by rai,Jun 6 2005, 01:02 PM
Toyota wants to licence their system, it'll become like "Intel Inside" of the hybrid car world.

Makes sense to me, If I was GM any association with honda or Toyota is a good thing. I mean most people think a Honda engine in a Saturn is better than a GM engin. Right or wrong that's what most people think.
Hopefully they work out the bugs before they try to start selling it. Prius is under investigation by the gub-ment.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rai,Jun 6 2005, 12:02 PM
I mean most people think a Honda engine in a Saturn is better than a GM engin. Right or wrong that's what most people think.
90% of statistics are made up on the spot.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:04 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Good luck with the project. The Equinox is on my short list for winter beater, but I went to their board and most are really upset with gas milage. Some are getting as low as 13 (probably leadfoots) but most are not gettting near the 25 mpg highway claim. If it actually delivered that on a consistant basis I would possibly buy one as it is rated high enough to tow my fibergalss Sea Ray.

Outback turbo is another possibility but they guys on that board claim they are getting 18-20 real world milage and that is not too much better.

In the contest does changing final drive ratio count or does it have to be technological innovations?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Grimace,Jun 6 2005, 10:05 AM
Hopefully they work out the bugs before they try to start selling it. Prius is under investigation by the gub-ment.

Another US Govt passing mis-info to the public.

This was a known issue for many months. And Toyota has been reflashing the ECUs when customer comes in for service. This was only affected cars from 04-early 05.

There are only 33 documented cases out of 88k sold!!!!

This is just another scare tactic to try to make the Prius a bad car.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:13 AM

Good luck, I believe you'll be competing against my school, WVU. Though we might be working with Ford, I'm not sure.

-Matt
Old 06-06-2005, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by no_really,Jun 6 2005, 10:17 AM
90% of statistics are made up on the spot.
So you've effectively said nothing then.

As far as Toyota licensing hybrid stuff out, it only makes pure sense. Residuals and renewables baby.

Quick Reply: GM too stupid to build good hybrids..