Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

GM is Really, Really Sorry

Old 06-24-2003, 07:59 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

While I'm not a big fan of GM I do respect the Corvette and the trucks. When we needed a truck that could tow and serve as a family "car" we looked at all the trucks that were available. The most comfotable and best driving trucks came from GM. Then we drove the Quadrasteer version and we were sold. If GM will keep making vehicles this good they are on the right road.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one of their trucks and it was the biggest POS money could buy.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:29 AM

Originally posted by CG
While I'm not a big fan of GM I do respect the Corvette and the trucks. When we needed a truck that could tow and serve as a family "car" we looked at all the trucks that were available. The most comfotable and best driving trucks came from GM. Then we drove the Quadrasteer version and we were sold. If GM will keep making vehicles this good they are on the right road.
The Accord and Camry have helped earn widespread US consumer respect in terms of quality since the 80's. I forsee Honda and Toyota trucks taking on and winning against the big boys (GM, Ford, Dodge) in the next decade. It may take a bit longer for the "good 'ol boys" to change their ways. The American made pride UAW brainwashing can only go so far, people that have not already seen thru their lies and poor archaic standards will....EEEEventually. I give Toyota credit for getting into NASCAR, Drag racing, things its pretty safe to say are more popular with the big domestic truck crowd
Old 06-25-2003, 07:55 AM
CG

[QUOTE]Originally posted by john576
[B]

The Accord and Camry have helped earn widespread US consumer respect in terms of quality since the 80's.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:58 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

GC what's the cost of quadrasteer option?
Old 06-25-2003, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My father bought a '94 S-10 4x4 V6 Extended Cab new, drove it for 20,000 miles and hated it. At the time I was looking to replace my '86.5 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 KingCab because it had 185,000 miles. I bought Dad's truck because I figured "how bad could it be, it only has 20,000 miles, it will be the newest vehicle I have ever owned." Wow, was I ever wrong!

I got rid of the silly thing in less than 6-monts and bought another Nissan.

In the short time I had the truck (and keep in mind my Dad is VERY mellow so he did NOTHING to stress the truck) I had the following things done under warranty, in this order.
- replace mounting bracket for right torsion rod, because it broke
- replace mounting bracket for left torsion rod, because it too broke
- replace front right brake sensor
- replace mounting bracket for right torsion rod, because it broke again
- replace fuel pump and repair wiring harness and after poorly installed wiring harness caused a short
- replace front left brake sensor
- replace both front brake sensors after ABS glitch which caused the brake system to not function at all and I flew off the road to avoid rear ending an older couple

That great GM feeling, I think not!

Chevy trucks, made like a rock. Hello? What kind of rock? Shale?
Old 06-25-2003, 09:33 AM
CG

Triple H, 94 was the last year for that body style and much was done to improve the 95 S10's. We had a loaded 95 S10 Blazer that I hated and my wife loved. (I liked my 93 Nissan truck better) Other than that stupid ass ABS crap the truck served us well for 125,000 miles and still looked new although we didn't do anything special to keep it looking that way. The leather was still perfect and we only cleaned it twice while we owned it. While it wasn't bad truck I really didn't want another GM but I'm damned happy I got one now.

rai, the option is expensive. On ours the option plus the extras that were bundled with it listed for around $6000. I doubt we'll get it back in resale but we'll buy it again. It's well worth it.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:00 AM

GM didn't develop it per se. Delphi did which GM spun off and now they can sell anything to anyone. GM may have played a part in it at one stage, but not anymore. If enough people buy it, the others suppliers will come up with their own or the other manufacturers will buy it from Delphi.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:44 PM

Funny to see that the immeasurable cost of using union labor has not come up.

I am a firm believer that if you pay people well and take the unions out of it, you will end up with a far superior product and people taking much more pride in their work.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:42 PM

I agree, but didn't want to open up the can or worms about unionized labor. Union or not, they are all are probably being paid about the same. The level of work that is received can be quite different based upon attitude towards the company. Unions add a layer in and communication fails because of it.