Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

GM is Really, Really Sorry

Old 06-16-2003, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM is Really, Really Sorry

From today's MSN's Slate:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2084377/

But that is essentially what GM is doing now, with a curious campaign touting its journey on "the road to redemption."
Old 06-16-2003, 02:11 PM

It couldn't be worse than guilt tripping people into buying domestics over imports - that was their modus operandi for several years during the '80s. I can't see why GM is incapable of making the best cars in the world, though. Their former and current subsidiaries make everything from far-out defense technology to telecom stuff. They have access to the talent, it's just that they don't seem to have any more passion for making cars that consumers will get excited about. Maybe Lutz and the success of the Z06 will turn things around, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:18 PM

too funny ...
Old 06-16-2003, 02:47 PM

Cannot remember the last time I stepped foot into a GM dealership, hell Ford, Dodge, etc for that matter. Why? Because I just saw a 03 Pontiac Grand Prix on the way to work this am. Are you kidding me? Recent products like Grand-Am, Aztek, Escalade p'u truck thing for $50K...no thanks.

Three thing that must happen for me to consider GM
1. Majority of Consumer Reports categories filled with red dots
2. Consistent Epinions ratings comparable with Accord, Camry, Maxima, etc
3. The Mob kidnaps Bangle and insists he doesn't receive any paychecks from GM
after BMW boots him

IMHO this is just another market plot to help get them thru the next decade. We're smarter than that GM, we bought our Hondas for a reason, a very good reason.
FWI:I drive an Accord with 167K on the clock, original clutch, never left me stranded...NEVER. I feel confident hopping in it and driving 3k miles straight, turning around and coming back, why?...just because I can. Would any one you have that kind of confidence in a Sunfire? I truly wish them luck though, Capitalism breeds competition and the consumer always wins.
-John
Old 06-16-2003, 03:22 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by john576
[B]Cannot remember the last time I stepped foot into a GM dealership, hell Ford, Dodge, etc for that matter.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:22 PM

I hate to car bash. I even feel guilty domestic bashing. But the truth is should we really be surprised that the only car company that I can think of that touts their repair facilities/workers as selling points of their car (i.e Mr. Goodwrench) wouldn't build crappy cars?

I'm retarded and many an afternoon, I'll test drive different cars just to get out of the house and satisfy a never ending curiousity. I'm not brand specific and I'm as likely to try out a new Yukon as I am a Z4. (BTW - I always tell the salesmen that I'm not at all interested in buying so that I don't waste their time but usually end up driving the cars 9 times out of 10 because they either appreciate my honesty or are bored out of their skulls and don't mind doing some "hot laps" on test drives).

Almost without exception, the worst put together and least pleasing to sit in are American cars. The plastics used in the dashes are worse, the leather or fabrics are worse, and the feel of the switches (turn signals in particular) just lags. The gaps between pieces are wider, and invariably the cars feel loser.

That's just my opinion, and others can feel free to disagree. But, when my first impressions aren't good and the tactile experiences of just sitting in the vehicle aren't that good, I don't get that warm feeling about a new car.

GM should apologize. But more important than that, it should start getting serious about making good quality products again. Not just re-badged Holdens, but good quality products that are screwed together well, engineered well, and last a long time.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know at least one reason why GM doesn't make better cars. All the GM people I work with (steering systems) are driven almost entirely by cover-your-@ss fear of liability. Things I've come up with to make improvements are generally canned or delayed indefinitely by their fears. I haven't felt this level of CYA/fear in their European competitors.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:14 PM

Dupe, it was posted 2 weeks ago.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:31 AM

The earlier thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=126185
Old 06-17-2003, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by QuicksilverC5
Dupe, it was posted 2 weeks ago.
Same topic, different article, but end result is same news so you're half right, and half wrong, so there!

Quick Reply: GM is Really, Really Sorry