Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

GM quality at its finest

Old 12-29-2006, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is someone on this forum that owns a CTS-V. He says that there is an inherent flaw with the car.

Here is what he says:

I would recommend against the CTS-V, and I'm qualified to say this because I have one (along with my S2K). I'm currently trying to get GM to buy it back under the lemon law. IMHO, they are a fantastic car but one that GM cut a couple corners on in bringing it to market. The rear diffs are woefully inadequate and not able to cope with the amount of power. The gears in the diff have been known to start howling in as little as a couple thousand miles. The only fix is to replace the entire rear end, if you can get your dealer to do it, in which case it'll just fail again. My car also has a pretty nasty vibration problem at highway speeds that comes from the driveline, which is also not a unique problem since many have complained about it. I've had the transmission, driveshaft and rear end replaced without fixing it. Even new tires, balanced twice, didn't do it. Check the CTS-V forum at http://www.cadillacforums.com if you don't believe me. The awesome handling is in large part due to the Goodyear F1 Supercar runflat tires that last 10K miles (if you're lucky) and cost $400/each. Lastly, the resale value is horrible.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That really sucks, I can understand why he was frustrated. The car chose the wrong moment to pack it in. As far as abuse, the only thing he could have broken would be the diff. And I think CTS-V diffs are known to be a little iffy, kinda like S2000 diffs.

Any car can be a lemon, though. Hope Cadillace takes care of him, the guy seems to really like the car, apart from the reliability issues.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:23 PM

Hey great. You found another reason to diss GM. Good for you.

For the money the car is great.
I got mine for just over 40K out the door new. To get the same kinda performance your talking M3, M5, RS4/S4 money.
I drove it pretty hard for 10,000 miles. GoodYear went 1/2sies on a set of tires for me. I put RSA's on it after the F1's quit. Not as good but still pretty damn good.
Nothing like 400HP under your foot.
I drove it pretty darn hard and it never missed a beat. Always got looks, always was the fastest thing in sight. Scared more than a few Vettes. Comfortable on the road, nice on the highway. Decent on gas when you keep your foot outa the loud pedal.
They do have issues, but dont we all.
Having said all that. I sold it. It was too much, too fast, too flash.
My wifes 54,000$ VW Tourass was a major pile of shit. lemoned that thing. see ya.

Now I drive a mini s

Old 12-29-2006, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by WarrenW,Dec 29 2006, 07:31 AM
Ah yes, Mr. "no_really", the great defender of Detroit Scrap Iron.

Warren
Aren't you the same person who, among other things, thought that success in F1 equals quality cars? Hello Renault!
Of course you also bought into the Audi unintended acceleration bit too. At least your credibility is firmly established

I suppose knowing that some guy thinks his CTS-V is junk will make my aunt feel better about her third Odyssey transmission or my other aunt's problems with her Odyssey. Don't those share parts with the MDX?
Old 12-29-2006, 02:25 PM

I think I'm finally beginning to get why some women like soaps... It's something old and familiar that will always be around when you need to get a good laugh.

Questioning domestic's quality on an imports board sounds like a sure fire winner.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rockville,Dec 29 2006, 05:54 PM
Aren't you the same person who, among other things, thought that success in F1 equals quality cars?
No, I don't believe I said that. I believe what I said is that technology developed for F1, Champ Car, ALMS, etc. trickles down to the cars we drive on the street everyday. Example - disc brakes, radial tires, fuel injection, carbon fiber, etc. were originally developed for racing applications which found their way into our street cars.

Warren
Old 12-29-2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by WarrenW,Dec 29 2006, 03:41 PM
No, I don't believe I said that. I believe what I said is that technology developed for F1, Champ Car, ALMS, etc. trickles down to the cars we drive on the street everyday. Example - disc brakes, radial tires, fuel injection, carbon fiber, etc. were originally developed for racing applications which found their way into our street cars.

Warren
Actually you did say that.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...c=402827&st=50
oops... your past comes to visit.

Then again you also are the last car person on the planet to realize that Audi's unintended acceleration wasn't because of faulty transmissions.

Just to point out a few more things you seemed to have missed...

I'm pretty sure disc brakes and fuel injection started with the aviation industry. That's certainly true of carbon fiber. Sorry to rain reality on your parade.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:08 PM

Warren
Old 12-29-2006, 04:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Like I said, I didn't think I said that. Hey I guess I did. I'm also man enough to admit my mistakes.

Damn dude, you have a lot of time to do all the research on what I did and didn't say, you should really get a life sometime.

I still say American cars are a POS and if you don't like that, do to an AMERICAN CAR MESSAGE BOARD! Why are you on here if you like Detroit Scrap Iron so damn much?

Warren
Old 12-29-2006, 04:14 PM

GM SUCKS

Quick Reply: GM quality at its finest