Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

GM Quality

Old 09-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GM Quality

"GM leads the industry in product recalls, having called in 2 million vehicles in April, and another 804,000 units last month...."

....and I distinctly remember having arguments with people and being called a "fanboi" for making comments about Honda quality being better along with about every other Japanese auto maker than the likes of some American companies. Hmm..... I guess stats lie too though.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:17 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

GM sells the most vehicles so it's more than likely to have more recalls than any other company. Chevy sold 300K+ units in one month.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To back up what rai said, we've already gone over this a thousand times.

And nobody called you specifically a fanboi, least of all because you liked Japanese cars.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:34 PM

Anyone have a percentage of recalls per vehicles produced... That would show the true numbers...
Old 09-28-2005, 03:04 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Only GM vehicle I would take a chance on is the Z06. Sorry, too many bad experiences.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another point; recalls are generally safety related. The real story is often found in little publicised TSB's.

Your attempt to draw reliability statistics from recall numbers is flawed.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:31 PM

I believe Japanese cars are of higher quality than domestics and this comes from someone who owns an expensive domestic.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:31 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Very flawed analysis, Dark Sub Rosa. You neglect to mention that GM has a very large portion of the market. In addition, a lot of Japanese manufacturers prefer to hide potential defects and issue quiet TSB's versus doing a public recall.

I applaud GM for doing the RIGHT thing and fixing any problems that surface, unlike some other foreign manufacturers.

P.S. You are still a fanboi.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:01 PM

this thread is worthless and biased. I don't care how you read it.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:39 PM

can't resist....

I'm not sure if anyone reads (or believes) Consumer Reports, but, that magazine consistently (for the many years I've been reading it) notes additional electrical, brakes, body integrity, and power equipment problems for MANY of GMs products. For example - take a close look at the Corvette. ...and the survey says "more than 15% have electrical probems on a 3 year old 'vette".... The sky's the limit...just how much "more" I wonder?

Hell, to be fair, those surveys only rate the S2000 as being "average" in reliabilty....down from Honda's usual "much better than average" standing.

I can imagine there are folks on this web site that will be quick to call the publishers of CR and the hundreds of thousands of surveyed households "fanbois" / "fangurls".
Just not too sure I'd agree with them...

While American auto manufacturing HAS improved of late (and, I sincerely hope it continues in that direction), the fundamental problem seems to be QUALITY beyond the 3 year-old mark for much of GMs product line.

Having said the above...I'll readily admit the new C6, and, in particular, the Z06 is certainly cause for excitement. At the moment, however, it is the ONLY GM product I'd seriously consider....yes, that includes Cadillac's(?) equivalent.

my .02....

Quick Reply: GM Quality