Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

GM lunacy

Old 10-17-2008, 09:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GM lunacy

Instead of biting the bullet and declaring bankruptcy (which would allow dumping the unions, reworking contracts, and unloading losing properties) GM is taking the
Old 10-17-2008, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate that GM is having so much trouble when they finally have the product and quality under control. That said I hate to see this happen. It seems like a stupid idea to me. Mercedes all but killed Chrysler via truly bad management. This truely is bad. I would hate to see GM file chapter XX but I agree that breaking all the legacy costs and right sizing the company is the true answer. Do that and Toyota should be thankful they have a protected home market
Old 10-17-2008, 11:49 AM

I still don't get this. I'd like to know what Wagoner, Lutz and co. and thinking, what this will bring them. If it happens I maintain that GM did it only to turn the Big 3 into the Big 2. And now that Renault is expressing interest in the Jeep brand, I can only think that's what GM is after. But I can't imagine Jeep's sales are all that great in an increasingly SUV-averse market.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:01 PM

Even losers still need friends.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by rockville,Oct 17 2008, 10:31 AM
I hate that GM is having so much trouble when they finally have the product and quality under control.
How did you come to the conclusion that GM has their product and quality under control? I do not see that picture! First off the new CTS ,G8, and Camaro looks like they are going to be falling into the good category but still you have all those full size pickups and SUV things with way too many models with almost no market to sell them to then you have the hot segment of economy cars and the AVEO is not anywhere up to par with the Fit or Fiesta (All early reports say the new Ford is Awesome) . The interior of the Impala is still GM cheap. The Colorado/Canyon is < the Tacoma. The Solstice/Sky is < the S2000 or as Consumer Reports says "The S2k was most reliable car in its class while the Solstice was the least reliable in its class ". Looks like to me they still have a long way to go to be competitive in product or quality and the Volt is an unproven technology . Next you add in the economy the way it is and the financial crisis plus GM's cash burn and the only thing I see is a vision from a Tom Hank's movie - " Houston we have a Problem".
Old 10-17-2008, 08:12 PM

there would be so much product overlay its retarded, losing money + losing money does not make money
Old 10-17-2008, 09:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverstreak HX,Oct 17 2008, 05:45 PM
How did you come to the conclusion that GM has their product and quality under control? I do not see that picture! First off the new CTS ,G8, and Camaro looks like they are going to be falling into the good category but still you have all those full size pickups and SUV things with way too many models with almost no market to sell them to then you have the hot segment of economy cars and the AVEO is not anywhere up to par with the Fit or Fiesta (All early reports say the new Ford is Awesome) . The interior of the Impala is still GM cheap. The Colorado/Canyon is < the Tacoma. The Solstice/Sky is < the S2000 or as Consumer Reports says "The S2k was most reliable car in its class while the Solstice was the least reliable in its class ". Looks like to me they still have a long way to go to be competitive in product or quality and the Volt is an unproven technology . Next you add in the economy the way it is and the financial crisis plus GM's cash burn and the only thing I see is a vision from a Tom Hank's movie - " Houston we have a Problem".
+1
Old 10-17-2008, 11:37 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Honda Fit base msrp= 13850
Chevrolet Aveo base msrp= 11460
So about a 22% premium for the Fit, yeah, that's a real fair comparison.
The yaris and the aveo are abotu the same price, and I think they are on teh same level in terms of quality, although I like the styling of the yaris hatchback a ton more, but that's just my subjective preference.
You could knock their trucks all you want, but they never had to recall any frames before.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:41 AM
Banned

Daimler (Mercedes) had already lost $40B from the merger with Chrysler. Now GM is taking a chance with it? Btw, Daimler still owns 20% of Chrysler.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:22 AM

Corviper Time!

Quick Reply: GM lunacy