Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

GM kills hp cars

Old 05-11-2009, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don,

It does seem that they want to end production of the turbo Ecotec. I'm not sure if that's the plan but I think you are right.

I don't know why they have both the Impala and Malibu. There likely is a good reason but it may not be for the consumer market.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by The Vanishing Boy,May 11 2009, 02:58 AM
-> Good thing they haven't touched the G8 GXP...yet.

Whatchu talkin bout? Pontiac is dead. That includes the G8 GXP. A whopping 1,828 GXPs have been built, and it is my understanding that that's it. No more will be coming.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:25 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by bjohnston,May 11 2009, 07:42 AM
Whatchu talkin bout? Pontiac is dead. That includes the G8 GXP. A whopping 1,828 GXPs have been built, and it is my understanding that that's it. No more will be coming.
LEss than 5000 2009 G8's to be made.

Pontiac G8 GXP, Solstice Coupe - Future collectors items? [w/POLL]

by Jeremy Korzeniewski on Apr 30th 2009 at 3:01PM

Like so many former GTO or Trans Am owners out there, will there be a day when you look back at the 2008 Pontiac G8 or Solstice as "the one that got away?" Probably not, according to Rob Hunting, General Manager at AutoTrader Classic. Despite the fact that the G8 GT is an excellent performance car, it's not really all that rare. Same goes for the Solstice. Furthermore, neither nameplate carries a significant amount of cachet
Old 05-11-2009, 05:30 PM

If you pay taxes, you're paying for a little chunk of every GM coming off the line and part of it's life cycle under warranty (under a current proposal). Assumption is you're a US taxpayer. If not, have a good laugh.

If you can still enjoy the performance cars (or any cars) from GM on the public dime, you're much more tolerant than I am. I can't look at them the same.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-> ...
[QUOTE=bjohnston,May 11 2009, 08:42 AM]Whatchu talkin bout?
Old 05-11-2009, 07:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the CTS-V is an indication of an important car to GM then I'm wondering if we haven't entered the Twilight zone?

I mean have you actually seen one? Up close and in person when you peep thru the windows you find it's a pimpmobile put together by the head designer at Target!

I was told that I just HAD to compare the CTS-V before I bought my new M3. It was going to be sooo much better. To even secure one to look at I had to talk to several dealers cause they didn't want just anyone driving these super rare and powerful beasts, but I finally found a dealer who'd drive with me and keep my face from being torn right off my body by the unnatural acceleration abilities of "the beast".

Talk about disappointing!

With this car they missed the boat on the little old lady side and they missed the boat for the performance guy. It is a tarted and fluffed up Cadillac with everything that implies. The fluffed up portion is the part I objected to the most, well after the whole forest that was cut up and pasted in inappropriate spots of the interior.

Actions happen an eternity after your inputs. Its as if they want to protect you from yourself. Once it finally gets rolling it does have good acceleration, but I was expecting a whole lot more after seeing Top Gear.

I've recently had an Escalade so I'm not anti-Cadillac, but they just don't get it. A luxo tourer pick-up? That's skirting the edge, but it was useful, this doesn't fit the advertising in any way shape form or fashion.

Now if you were to strip it down to a shell and put it back together sensibly and give some immediacy to the inputs it has potential, but then it wouldn't be a Cadillac.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by bakun,May 9 2009, 04:37 PM
I know it sucks to say this, but I hope they can the Corvette. While most 'vette owners are decent people, the smugness and shit-talking from some of them while their company is failing, living a slow death on federal life support to pay off stupid design and labor decisions, is just too much. As far I as I'm concerned, all of GM could go away tomorrow, we'd take the big economic hit all at once, and then maybe they could come back with great designs (including the 'vette flagship sportscar) and good business practices.)

As it stands now, they're going to drain the government money and fail anyway, leaving us all with cents on the federal dollars loaned.
I took a fat shit on this post?
Old 05-11-2009, 08:31 PM

I'm gonna miss this one. Def one of GM's best. Right next to the Corvette imo.

Link