Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

gm: death wish

Old 09-29-2006, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Elistan,Sep 29 2006, 08:10 AM
From the article:
"Sales of Hummer were up almost 50 percent in the first eight months of this year. By contrast, GM's overall sales were down 12 percent."

That really surprises me. Who's buying these things, with gas prices what they are? Is the SUV craze still as strong as ever? Is it just the initial excitement of the H3?
It's simple, soccer moms and wannabe rappers are buying these...
Old 09-30-2006, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gas prices do fluctuate but I know that in many areas they were well over $3 a gallon, and close to four as recently as a month ago. Personally I think the new Hummer commercials are cool
Old 09-30-2006, 07:50 AM

Diesel engines will save the hummer brand.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Elistan,Sep 29 2006, 07:10 AM
From the article:
"Sales of Hummer were up almost 50 percent in the first eight months of this year. By contrast, GM's overall sales were down 12 percent."

That really surprises me. Who's buying these things, with gas prices what they are? Is the SUV craze still as strong as ever? Is it just the initial excitement of the H3?

"The H3, which is built on GM's midsize pickup truck platform, accounts for about three-quarters of the brand's current sales. It is similar in size to a Nissan Pathfinder or Toyota 4Runner and is powered by a 5-cylinder engine."

So 75% of Hummer sales comes from the H3. Go figure.
Rich people buy Hummers. Which IMO is a dumb reason to sell more of them, because theoretically, the number of rich people isn't going up that fast! I mean, Rolls Royces I'm sure have a HUGE profit margin PER CAR, but make chump change profits to the whole company compared to an Taurus or Fusion.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:36 AM

So, let me get this straight. GM has a death wish for expanding the only product line that is selling? Uhh... sorry, you guys are idiots. Seriously, never start a business. Ever. Two years before the H2 first came out, you could have argued that it would ruin the brand image because it was turning Hummer into a consumer brand.

Then you've got NFR, self proclaimed econ 1a maester, who really doesn't know crap. First of all, the S550 is a 4000 lb flagship luxury sedan with a base price of ~$90,000 and you aren't going to see much discounting so MSRP is what you're going to pay. The XLRV is a luxury roadster which can be had for about the same price. They probably have a bit more market overlap than a $200k ferrari and a $200k house. Secondly, you're completely ignoring cost. Take the Vette. At the price it doesn't have as nice an interior as a CLK or SLK from benz or the Z4 from BMW. Uhh, duh. The corvette isn't a luxury car and never has been, it's a performance car. What the **** are you doing driving an S2000? The interior on a Hyundai Elantra is better. And yes, I'm being facetious unlike you.

Basing the total package off of one aspect (interior quality) because it is the only aspect that Corvette is beaten on is pretty pathetic. But I'm sure you're living in a 20,000 squarefoot mansion on 20 acres of pistinely landscaped and cultivated wilderness. After all, it is superior to just about any other house you could find.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Malloric,Sep 30 2006, 12:36 PM
So, let me get this straight. GM has a death wish for expanding the only product line that is selling? Uhh... sorry, you guys are idiots. Seriously, never start a business. Ever. Two years before the H2 first came out, you could have argued that it would ruin the brand image because it was turning Hummer into a consumer brand.

Then you've got NFR, self proclaimed econ 1a maester, who really doesn't know crap. First of all, the S550 is a 4000 lb flagship luxury sedan with a base price of ~$90,000 and you aren't going to see much discounting so MSRP is what you're going to pay. The XLRV is a luxury roadster which can be had for about the same price. They probably have a bit more market overlap than a $200k ferrari and a $200k house. Secondly, you're completely ignoring cost. Take the Vette. At the price it doesn't have as nice an interior as a CLK or SLK from benz or the Z4 from BMW. Uhh, duh. The corvette isn't a luxury car and never has been, it's a performance car. What the **** are you doing driving an S2000? The interior on a Hyundai Elantra is better. And yes, I'm being facetious unlike you.

Basing the total package off of one aspect (interior quality) because it is the only aspect that Corvette is beaten on is pretty pathetic. But I'm sure you're living in a 20,000 squarefoot mansion on 20 acres of pistinely landscaped and cultivated wilderness. After all, it is superior to just about any other house you could find.
Wow, finally someone here actually gets it.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:11 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Malloric,Sep 30 2006, 02:36 PM
Then you've got NFR, self proclaimed econ 1a maester, who really doesn't know crap. First of all, the S550 is a 4000 lb flagship luxury sedan with a base price of ~$90,000 and you aren't going to see much discounting so MSRP is what you're going to pay. The XLRV is a luxury roadster which can be had for about the same price.
Fairly certain he meant the SL550, which is directly comparable to the XLR-V. In fact, the SL is a little cheaper than the XLR-V.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Sep 30 2006, 05:11 PM
Fairly certain he meant the SL550, which is directly comparable to the XLR-V. In fact, the SL is a little cheaper than the XLR-V.
once again, Chris Stack totally misses the point, and zooms in on red herrings and unimportant asides. :/
Old 09-30-2006, 03:31 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by no_really,Sep 30 2006, 07:21 PM
once again, Chris Stack totally misses the point, and zooms in on red herrings and unimportant asides. :/
Umm, wasn't Malloric focusing on the stupidity of comparing a 4k lb luxury sedan with a luxury-roadster? So I point out that the OP probably intended to compare a luxury roadster to the XLR-V, and it was a simple typo.

In your eagerness to promote GM or slam a guy who doesn't really care for them (even though I made no subjective comments in that post either way), I think it was YOU who totally missed the point.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Former Moderator

I meant SL. It was a typo.

Even if GM tripled their hummer sales, (which isnt gonna happen), they would still be staring death in the face. The only way to survive is tap into the mid size and econo car class....the cars that sell MILLIONS. Accords, Camrys, Civics, Corollas.....those are the breadwinner cars. Not a hummer in drag. The Corvette is pointless in this conversation. It has a VERY limited market, and is just a halo car. Thats like all hondas other than the NSX....being built like crap, and I say "Honda is great, look at the NSX."

You think toyota got the number one spot because they sold a lot of RAV4s and Sequoias? Please.

Quick Reply: gm: death wish