Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

GM to buy CHRYSLER?

Old 02-17-2007, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing that GM could gain would be the minivan. GM has got nothing, while the Caravan is up for redesign, but the last model seemed to be the benchmark.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:10 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Dodge/Chrysler hasn't had a competitive minivan in ages. The only reason people bought it was price (and maybe brand loyalty). The Odyssey has been the standard since 1999 for fuel mileage, performance, practicality, and reliability (transmission woes aside). While Dodge/Chrysler sell a lot of them, they're nowhere near "benchmark" status.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love how people can claim "reliability" in the same breath as dismissing clear mechanical issues lol. The Odyssey has had issues since day one. The Chrysler minivan has been the benchmark since day one based on price, performance, design, and reliability (no transmission issues). "Benchmark" doesn't mean no-one makes a better product, just that it is the standard used to judge others. I have no love for Chrysler products, but I'm also not into making excuses for Honda products.

Regardless, the original article is no more about GM buying Chrysler than it is about aliens landing on the moon. If more posters RTFA, there would be fewer silly comments in this thread, IMHO. The headline isn't the story, and in this case, it is so far removed from the story it is ludicrous.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by GT_2003,Feb 17 2007, 06:33 PM
The Chrysler minivan has been the benchmark since day one based on price, performance, design, and reliability (no transmission issues).
My family bought a new Plymouth Voyager in '95. Within 100k miles the interior glue fell apart, the transmission started slipping, the AC couldn't be used on hot days or the engine would die, and the sliding door fell off! After 8 years the thing was worth $1k. Should have bought a Honda(4 years too early).
Old 02-17-2007, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Spartikus,Feb 17 2007, 06:58 PM
My family bought a new Plymouth Voyager in '95. Within 100k miles the interior glue fell apart, the transmission started slipping, the AC couldn't be used on hot days or the engine would die, and the sliding door fell off! After 8 years the thing was worth $1k. Should have bought a Honda(4 years too early).
god forbid you spend a dime on maintenance and repairs :/
Old 02-17-2007, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by GT_2003,Feb 17 2007, 09:06 PM
god forbid you spend a dime on maintenance and repairs :/
I don't think many people have to glue their interiors back together and weld the freaking door hinges back on. I can somewhat understand an interior, but a door falling off?? That also wouldn't have changed the fact that the van was worthless after a mere 8 years.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:29 AM

any vehicle suffers from neglect. Hardly an indictment of a brand. If you let things fall apart, you have no-one to blame but yourself.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:00 AM

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA @ GM!!
Old 02-18-2007, 12:39 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by GT_2003,Feb 17 2007, 08:33 PM
i love how people can claim "reliability" in the same breath as dismissing clear mechanical issues lol. The Odyssey has had issues since day one. The Chrysler minivan has been the benchmark since day one based on price, performance, design, and reliability (no transmission issues). "Benchmark" doesn't mean no-one makes a better product, just that it is the standard used to judge others. I have no love for Chrysler products, but I'm also not into making excuses for Honda products.
Hold on while I double over in laughter.

Okay, I'm done.

Are you serious? The Chrysler has had the worst fuel mileage, the worst engine, the worst fit and finish, the worst resale value (it's truly horrible), paint problems, and transmission problems as well.

I never said the Odyssey was perfect - I said it was the best.

If "benchmark" doesn't mean anything positive, why would you use it? Most people use "benchmark" to indicate that it's the HIGH standard against which all others are measured...much like the 3-Series is the benchmark for compact sport sedans. It is rarely used to indicated a middle-class standard.

I haven't seen or read a single article that listed the Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth minivans as the "benchmark" since the mid-90s (that's 10-12 years ago). No one takes them seriously except on their prices. You still get what you pay for, though.

Bottom line: DaimlerChrysler minivans are hasbeens. They are nowhere near competitive with the new Kia, Honda, or Toyota minivans (yes, I said Kia and yes, I'm serious).
Old 02-18-2007, 01:06 PM

Whether or not it's the category leader doesn't really matter for the purpose of this discussion. At least Dodge has a minivan that sells. GM doesn't.

Quick Reply: GM to buy CHRYSLER?