Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

GM to buy CHRYSLER?

Old 02-16-2007, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see how either company could benefit from this acquisition. as far as I'm concerned, Renault-Nissan is better off buying Chrysler; it would be cool to see them as a truly gobal car company.

but I would really rather not see a GM-Chrysler acquisition occur if for no other reason than it meaning we won't get both the Challenger AND the Camaro
Old 02-16-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't this just double the size of the impending black hole? Renault-Nissan makes more sense but that'd be awfully ambitious for a company just coming back from their own brush with oblivion.

Maybe Chrysler's styling would rub off on GM? Anything would help.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:31 PM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Feb 16 2007, 04:33 PM
I bet I could lease a stripper for cheap..
Word of advice: Don't mention this to the fiance.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:51 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt,Feb 16 2007, 05:31 PM
Word of advice: Don't mention this to the fiance.
Hey, if it floats, flies, or f#$s, RENT IT!

Old 02-16-2007, 05:45 PM

If this comes true, I know exactly what to do: shell short a whole lot of GM stock.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:38 PM

this is less than a rumor. It is merely an example of news organizations trying to generate print space in the dearth of anything tangible to report. The real story is simply routine business in the form of a company exploring its options. The name dropping of GM is merely that - name dropping.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:17 PM

I guess instead of the Big 3 there will be the big 2. So retarded. I think the last folks that should be buying other companies are GM.(Ford too)
Old 02-17-2007, 02:36 AM

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,353 Posts

I guess the true way to suceed is kill the competition? A few less members in the oligopoly probably looks real good to GM right now. In fact, a duopoly is what theyd have.

For some haribrained reason, some people will only buy American cars, which is getting harder and harder to define due to globilization. But they do, so GM and Ford could be the only entries into the American car manufacturers guild.

Here is what the problem is, and why GM, Ford and Chrysler have had to layoff...wrong product and quality. American companies put too much emphasis on their truck divisions, which are more prone to fluctuations in demand than their passenger car divisions. Honda and Toyota are building their companies on the backs of the profits form Accords and Camrys.

Also, the quality levels of American cars, while improving, still lags behind their Japanese rivals. It is not as bad as European makes, but that is a different story. ntil these two things are fixed, market share will continue to slip, profits will continue to fall and the comapnies will continue their downward spiral to oblivion.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:15 AM

The only reason I could see this happening is if GM wants to flat out kill Chrysler in the hopes that less competition will help them recover the losses from the buyout. Not likely.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by vader1,Feb 16 2007, 11:29 AM
-- General Motors is in talks to buy DaimlerChrysler AG's struggling Chrysler Group in its entirety, according to several reports.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/16/news/compa...dex.htm?cnn=yes
Another pathetic attempt by GM to trick people and investors into thinking its business is still viable when in reality, it doesn't have enough money to even buy a roll of toilet paper, much less another maker. The last pathetic attempt was talking to Nissan. This "talk" of buying will just be just that, a "talk". The purchase will never take place.

I hope GM will buy Chrysler so both will dissolve together, because when the blind gets with the deaf, both will be decimated by the strong. I'm sure Daimler (MB) is because it ever touched Chrysler and now can't wait to get rid of it. It will be hilarious if GM buys it.

Quick Reply: GM to buy CHRYSLER?