Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

GF got a Mazda rx8... Thoughts?

Old 09-11-2013, 05:56 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

The nice thing about rotaries is that they are very reliable and only have one part that needs replacement in most cases. The bad thing is that part is in the middle of the engine, and if it goes, so goes the engine, and you can get a lot of collateral damage.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
The nice thing about rotaries is that they are very reliable and only have one part that needs replacement in most cases. The bad thing is that part is in the middle of the engine, and if it goes, so goes the engine, and you can get a lot of collateral damage.
This is what sucks about rotaries, if one thing fails and isn't caught early, the entire motor can and usually goes. Carbon build up left unchecked... Blown motor, faulty spark plugs left unchecked... Blown motor... And they're really not good at coping with heat... Blown motor. Lol I just could never take the chances of owning one unless it had been fully rebuilt with better parts all around.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:56 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

does hers have the original engine? that is kinda unusual for a 2004 to make it that long on the original engine. they extended the warranty to 8 years 100k miles... my 2007 that I currently have is good until 2015 so I don't care if the engine dies or not..

I wish there was a way to add 100-200hp reliabily... I am not about to turbo it and have pieces blowing off left and right...
Old 09-11-2013, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Scot
does hers have the original engine? that is kinda unusual for a 2004 to make it that long on the original engine. they extended the warranty to 8 years 100k miles... my 2007 that I currently have is good until 2015 so I don't care if the engine dies or not..

I wish there was a way to add 100-200hp reliabily... I am not about to turbo it and have pieces blowing off left and right...
I'm unsure, and yea I read about the extended warranty but I don't know if you have to be the first owner or what, if not then that would be great since hers has 98,000. I'm betting its not the original motor. But, we're going to take it up to Mazda to have them give a full diagnostic of everything and see what needs replaced
/fixed right off the bat.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Reliability and durability are two very different things. If you drive it like a minivan and maintain it well, the motor will be reliable in the sense that it will start when you turn the key and get you from point A to point B. However, they have absolutely piss poor durability and there is absolutely no way I would put my money down on one. I personally think it was a big mistake buying with with 98k miles on the clock.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Reliability and durability are two very different things. If you drive it like a minivan and maintain it well, the motor will be reliable in the sense that it will start when you turn the key and get you from point A to point B. However, they have absolutely piss poor durability and there is absolutely no way I would put my money down on one. I personally think it was a big mistake buying with with 98k miles on the clock.
That's weird. From what I've been reading they love to be revved, you actually are suppose to rev them to at least 7200 once a day to avoid carbon build up, and that driving them like a granny is bad for the motor.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by __Ap2__s2k
Originally Posted by deepbluejh' timestamp='1378915626' post='22772732
That's weird. From what I've been reading they love to be revved, you actually are suppose to rev them to at least 7200 once a day to avoid carbon build up, and that driving them like a granny is bad for the motor.
Regardless of how you drive the car, it still doesn't' change the fact that these motors wear out 2-3 times faster than a normal piston engine. About three years ago I looked hard at an RX8 but just couldn't pull the trigger for this very reason.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Originally Posted by __Ap2__s2k' timestamp='1378915972' post='22772743
[quote name='deepbluejh' timestamp='1378915626' post='22772732']
Regardless of how you drive the car, it still doesn't' change the fact that these motors wear out 2-3 times faster than a normal piston engine. About three years ago I looked hard at an RX8 but just couldn't pull the trigger for this very reason.
[/quote]

Oh I won't disagree there, I tried to get her to realize this. But girls like to not listen.. So, she'll just find out. I'm gonna look into swap options seeing as how she'll be able to afford a costly swap if (I mean when) the motor goes lol
Old 09-11-2013, 09:38 AM

Every time I read a post about an RX-8 I wonder why anyone in their right mind would want such an unreliable, underpowered, gas thirsty car. I understand that it drives well and looks decent, but with all the cons and almost no pros, I just don't get it??!.. I'd set it on fire if I had as much trouble as everyone reports. Better yet, I wouldn't own one to begin with.. But if you/your GF likes it, congrats. Hope you're luckier than most who have so many issues..
Old 09-11-2013, 10:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's due for a motor if it has not had one yet. I know 2 people with them and both have had the motor replaced. No different than an old FD. Just have an LT1 in the garage for it.

Quick Reply: GF got a Mazda rx8... Thoughts?