Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

GF got a Mazda rx8... Thoughts?

Old 09-10-2013, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GF got a Mazda rx8... Thoughts?

So yea, my girlfriend got an 04 Mazda Rx-8, 98,000 miles. It's really nice and in really good condition. I haven't had the chance to go see it in person and test drive it but it seems to be in good shape. Even though I highly advised against getting it, she had to have it, even after I warned her about how likely the engines are to die at high mileage. I've had a few friends who've had them and say its really a hit or miss thing. I do know to check the oil about every other 2nd gas fill up because these blow through gas, and to change the oil about every 3,000 miles. So really what I'm posting for is for any advice from other owners or knowledgable rotary guys. I just have my fingers crossed that this motor lasts a bit, because I have seen some very high mileage rotaries. Thanks for the input
Old 09-10-2013, 02:32 PM

Blow through oil**
Old 09-10-2013, 03:51 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

I love RX8's. I am on my 6th one in 3 years. Quick steering, short shift & good handling like s2000. I have pics of my speedometer at 155 so they get moving eventually. Lol. Not a dragster but plenty fun. Plusind seems to get 20 mpg with mixed driving. :-)
Old 09-10-2013, 03:52 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

My trusted Mazda guy says that rotaries since the 80s are seriously starved of oil via injection to keep emissions in check. He suggests pre-mix for all rotaries.

My only direct experience is that my '90 RX-7's perfectly maintained engine expired at an autoX (its one and only ever performance driving event) at 105k miles on the clock, and not a single rotor-head was even remotely surprised...
Old 09-10-2013, 05:06 PM

Yea I've read up on how the later model rx8's have revised oil supply and what not, I'm just gonna give it an overhaul as soon as she gets it, new coilpacks, plugs, oil change and the biggest thing to have checked out from what I know is to go to Mazda and have them check to see if the ecu is up to date with the most current flash. So all that as soon as it gets to me tomorrow.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by ZDan
My trusted Mazda guy says that rotaries since the 80s are seriously starved of oil via injection to keep emissions in check. He suggests pre-mix for all rotaries.

My only direct experience is that my '90 RX-7's perfectly maintained engine expired at an autoX (its one and only ever performance driving event) at 105k miles on the clock, and not a single rotor-head was even remotely surprised...
That is just ridiculous, I'm not hating on rotaries, but I seriously have no clue how they can get by as being mass produced for daily driving... I know that with proper maintenance they will treat you right, but I just feel like (for most of the world) the rotary should just be used in racing applications or something. You really have to know what you're getting into with one of these. But if it blows, she can get another motor so it's all fine and dandy.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:35 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by __Ap2__s2k
That is just ridiculous, I'm not hating on rotaries, but I seriously have no clue how they can get by as being mass produced for daily driving... I know that with proper maintenance they will treat you right,
If you're lucky...
Old 09-10-2013, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by __Ap2__s2k
Yea I've read up on how the later model rx8's have revised oil supply and what not, I'm just gonna give it an overhaul as soon as she gets it, new coilpacks, plugs, oil change and the biggest thing to have checked out from what I know is to go to Mazda and have them check to see if the ecu is up to date with the most current flash. So all that as soon as it gets to me tomorrow.
Change the fuel filter as well. If you do the maintenance the N/A rotary can be very reliable, just there is always something to do and generally they are more expensive to maintain.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:49 PM

I heard not only check the oil but you need to top off every other fill up. Better safe than sorry.
But when I was looking into rx8s, those past 80 or 90k had replaced engines or required it.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:54 PM

I'll look into how often the fuel filter needs replacing, I read that the plugs/coils need to be changed around every 30,000 miles... Sucks for her haha but yea I told her shed gonna have to keep a quart of oil on her at all times. Cross your fingers for me guys, since I'll be doing all the maintenance each month on this thing lol

Quick Reply: GF got a Mazda rx8... Thoughts?