Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Getting help with selling to a dealer - Civic SI

Old 06-03-2016, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting help with selling to a dealer - Civic SI

Hey everyone,

I've been posting on the forums lately as I'm making my transition from my 14' Si Sedan to a S and I got a buyer! However, it was a "Acquisition Manager" from a Honda dealership. He offered me a pretty fair deal, much better than what other random dealers have been calling and offering me. Close to KBB, maybe around 450 under. My car is in pretty excellent shape and I have cared for it well over the last 2 years and will get a quick wash and wax before he comes by.

That being said, he is driving 3 hours to pick up my car and while I have verified all his information, got his business card and ran it against the employees at that specific Honda dealership, I'm wondering if there are still any hidden tricks I should watch out for. He told me he has already contacted a dispatch for the agreed upon amount and is bringing it next week when he comes to get the car. He didn't specify whether this be a cashiers check or a more traditional check, but I was hoping to get any tips, advice, or suggestions for when he actually comes and the safest way to assure that the money is received (I know that he is from the Honda dealership so there is security in that, but I'm still just a little skeptical).

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and your help!
Old 06-04-2016, 07:00 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Make the transaction at your local bank and ask for a wire transfer. Simple as that. The money is wired into your account, you sign over the title. No chance for phoney check. You just probably have to choose a weekday during banking hours instead of a weekend.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:00 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Crazy question here. How do you know that he works for a Honda dealership? Have you verified it? It seems a little odd he has you meeting him some place to buy the car. That's not how trade-ins typically work.

Something about this smells a little weird.

I hope it all works out for you, good luck.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:13 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I agree this seems odd. I would call dealership to verify, ensure the funds are wired into a dummy account and let him show. Cash also works.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:27 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the tips so far! I put my SI on craiglist, autotrader, etc and he reached out to me yesterday afternoon. I asked for his business card/name and then went to the Honda dealership site to look at all the employees at that dealership and he was in the directory with that same title. If he were to bring a check is there anyway to securely deposit it/reduce the risk of it bouncing? Alongside that, we agreed on a price over the phone, but I'm not looking forward to if he starts tire kicking once he gets here (although he is the one driving 3 hours and not myself). Thanks again everyone!
Old 06-04-2016, 09:42 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Have you called the dealership main number and asked to speak with him?

Very unusual for a dealer to let one of their employees drive 3 hours to look at one car. Normally they'd spend that amount of time to buy 5-10 used cars at auction.

Agree with others. Wire transfer or certified bank check and do transaction at the bank to verify funds.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:17 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Used car dealers have been aggressive in buying up good cars off of craigslist, the hardest thing about the used car business isn't selling, it's buying. With used car prices on the rise, good margins, and places like carmax.com dealers are getting more aggressive. Or he may just be swooping it up for himself under the guise of being a dealer. If the check clears I really could care less.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:24 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Used car dealers have been aggressive in buying up good cars off of craigslist, the hardest thing about the used car business isn't selling, it's buying. With used car prices on the rise, good margins, and places like carmax.com dealers are getting more aggressive. Or he may just be swooping it up for himself under the guise of being a dealer. If the check clears I really could care less.
this.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:43 AM

Would be good if you wrote the actual trade in numbers and your car milage

While it is possible for a dealer to do that if they have a customer lined up, I've never heard of a franchise dealer drive up 3 hours to buy a car close to kbb, especially the manager himself. Local dealer gave me like $12-13 for my S2000.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:45 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,080 Posts

If the "dealer" is putting this effort into the car they figure to sell it for more. Not just recoup expenses but make a nice profit.

If the guy working for the dealer wants this for himself it must be a bargain as guys at dealers have access to auction and trade-in cars every day.

I'm still having a hard time believing it's worth a day's drive back and forth for a Civic.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: Getting help with selling to a dealer - Civic SI