Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Getting a beater/daily driver. Need inputs!

Old 11-04-2005, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you sold you ITR because of a movie? ITR=best handling fwd ever....
Old 11-05-2005, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id get the civic, it'll get better gas mileage an repairs will be much cheaper. Its just a beater, dont worry about your image..... If people look at you funny, think to yourself, "Shallow *ssholes, I have another, nicer car"
Old 11-05-2005, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by versionJDM,Nov 4 2005, 12:12 PM
Yes, it's silly. Why care what other people think?
Old 11-05-2005, 08:14 AM

[QUOTE=ProV1,Nov 4 2005, 09:40 AM] think carefully about getting a beater, or at least get it checked out by a top mechanic.

i just got a 99 Mazda 626 LX with 108,000 miles for $630. I had oil changed and also check for problems..

1. needs auto tranny replacement b/c it's slipping -> yeah right, i'll just drive it til it dies

2. the shop says coolant tank has no coolant, but "white foamy" stuff that smells like exhaust??? WTF?? then why isn't the car overheating? they want $87 for a pressure test too..
Old 11-05-2005, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by versionJDM,Nov 4 2005, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by b0mbrman
Holy crap, did you guys fail your english classes? ONE of the reasons is because of the idiot F&F ricers (not the movie), then there is theft, lack of daily comfort features (i.e. A/C, cruise, etc), revved on at every light, no track around where I live (one being built, though), etc. Are those enough reasons?

Thanks to all others with helpful inputs. Upon taking a look at the car, I think I'll keep looking for a Civic.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:56 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

So the Bimmer doesn't look up to snuff?
Old 11-05-2005, 10:11 PM

I'm keeping my options open. I'm not set on anything yet. A Bimmer would be tons more fun, but a Civic wouldn't be bad, either. Talking to some BMW guys, seems like 92's had more problems than the other years. But that's expected from the first production year. If I do get one, I'll probably get a 94+ 325/328.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Paul55100,Nov 5 2005, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by b0mbrman
Holy crap, did you guys fail your english classes? ONE of the reasons is because of the idiot F&F ricers (not the movie), then there is theft, lack of daily comfort features (i.e. A/C, cruise, etc), revved on at every light, no track around where I live (one being built, though), etc. Are those enough reasons?

Thanks to all others with helpful inputs. Upon taking a look at the car, I think I'll keep looking for a Civic.
Did you fail yours?

Even if it's only one of the reasons, you still care what other people think.

p.s.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by b0mbrman,Nov 6 2005, 07:37 AM
Even if it's only one of the reasons, you still care what other people think.

p.s.
Are you saying that none of your past decisions have been influenced by a 3rd party opinion? Why do you care so much about the reasons for selling my own car? Are there certain guidelines and regulations for selling one's car?

My car, my reasons.

If you've got nothing to add to this thread about getting a daily driver/beater GTFO.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:09 AM

I drive a girly Honda and a Ford that no one's ever heard of. What do you think?

For a daily driver, I'd recommend an Integra Type R--actually, an Integra 4-door, as you seem stuck on sedans. And if you really don't want an Integra, I'd go one generation back on the Civic you're looking at...but that's mostly just personal preference. Short of the 99-00 Si, I've never been in a Civic made between 1996 and 2005 that got me excited.

As for the BMW, you're right about the subframe issue. That's a killer...

However, there are also lots of little problems...Most are cheap, easy fixes or little things that won't stop you from driving, but may get annoying over time. These inclde the arm bushings, shock mounts, cooling system--especially the water pump.

Not so common but still a problem in some are the clutches and tranny mounts. Look for the GM transmission if possible, and you could avoid this.

Electrically, expect to run into lots of little gremlins in places like the window motors, climate control, expect to have 2 or 3 random warning lights on at all times--especially the airbag, trunk wiring.

I think that's it

What is GTFO?

Quick Reply: Getting a beater/daily driver. Need inputs!