Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Gen 3 Dodge Viper

Old 06-14-2010, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen 3 Dodge Viper

The first thing that I notice is that the car actually WANTS to kill me. Think Eleanor from Gone in 60 Seconds. Let me explain. Getting on the freeway ramp, I put the pedal to the metal in first gear. Wheelspin came and I let go of the throttle. After I gained traction, I put it back down only to lose the rear end again around 45-50mph. DAMN. So again, after I regained traction I put it down in second. Everything seemed fine until the rear end again lost traction @ 75mph. Jeebus this thing is quick! I'm assuming the current run flats I have on the car have to do a lot with traction issues but really, this car emits a killing aura on its own. In my S2000, I was able to top it at 144mph without being afraid. I'm terrified of even ripping the gas in 3rd gear in the Viper!

The sound is incredible even with the stock exhaust. I love the backfire popping noise it makes when I downshift. Because of it, I find myself downshifting for no absolute reason.

I haven't really tested the car in cornering as I wanna wait till I can get my hands on some Michilen PS2's, so that's just gonna have to wait. Now, I bought the roadster and compared to the coupe I want to say that its much better to have the top down! (I road tripped with a buddy of mine that owns a '06 Viper coupe) I never got to experience top down really with the s2k cuz I was just too lazy to take off the hardtop. Now that I can do it with ease, I don't think I'll ever have the top up. Besides, it looks wayyy sexy without it!

So that pretty much sums it up. The Viper is a car that will kill you if you give it a chance. It doesn't take any prisoners and it'll eat any amateur and spit them right out into a ditch. I'm not saying I'm a pro, but I'm definately not gonna do anything but straight line until I can figure out this car's limits out on a safe track. Gingerman, here I come!

UPDATE
Here are some pictures!

Old 06-14-2010, 04:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lilgookiemonsta,Jun 14 2010, 06:06 AM
The first thing that I notice is that the car actually WANTS to kill me. Getting on the freeway ramp, I put the pedal to the metal in first gear. Wheelspin came and I let go of the throttle. After I gained traction, I put it back down only to lose the rear end again around 45-50mph. DAMN. So again, after I regained traction I put it down in second. Everything seemed fine until the rear end again lost traction @ 75mph.
The sound is incredible even with the stock exhaust. I love the backfire popping noise it makes when I downshift. Because of it, I find myself downshifting for no absolute reason.
So that pretty much sums it up. I'm not saying I'm a pro ...
no confusion here bruh lol

Thanx for the review, always wanted to drive one, an older one tho.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:35 AM

I like Vipers and what they stand for...overconsumption. It is not that I like overconsumption, just the opposite, but overconsumption some how gives me hope, do you know what I mean?

maybe I'm confused.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by fishfryer,Jun 14 2010, 07:35 AM
maybe I'm confused.
Yes, yes you are.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:05 AM

Enjoy the TQ. You will want more once you get used to it.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:27 AM

Congrats! Sounds sick!

Pics please!

Also, what other cars did you consider before the viper?
(Not saying you should have. This car is a beast and I'm wondering what led you to it...)
Old 06-14-2010, 06:27 AM

I think going from an S2000 to a Viper is probably too big a step for most people. Hell, for anyone. Good luck, have fun, and be safe.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:54 AM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I really want an 06'...they have all depreciated so much...you can pick up an 06 with maybe 15,000 km on the odometer for the same price you get a new Mustang 5.0
Old 06-14-2010, 08:58 AM

I considered a NSX, C6 Z06, and a GTR. The NSX held its value really well and couldn't keep up with the other 2 in terms of speed. The C6 is a bit faster on a roadcourse than the viper being 200 lbs lighter and with nanny controls but I wanted a raw car (AP1 style! lol). That already excluded the GTR lol..
As far as pics go, I don't have a lot.. I've been driving too much But I have 2 lol.. Here thery are!

Old 06-14-2010, 09:02 AM

I LIKE IT!!!!

Congrats on the new car, I like it alot more than the GTR and it is way different fron the NSX, vettes are great, but maybe too common.

The funny thing is, whenever I see a viper I still turn my head.

ENJOY!

Quick Reply: Gen 3 Dodge Viper