Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Gay by Design, or a Lifestyle Choice?

Old 04-13-2007, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gay by Design, or a Lifestyle Choice?

This is something to talk about...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/12/fashion/...47f3608&ei=5070
Old 04-13-2007, 08:38 AM

I always wondered why STIs had been given this stigma as high-performing lesbo-liners. But I think Mr. Markus is somewhat right: if you look at the gay/lesbian population in total, it's highly unlikely they're apt to drive much that is different from the average straight consumer. Money will always become an issue at some point, and there may be plenty of gays that want a Miata, but can't afford one.

Likewise, real results will be skewed for straights even, because some straight men will not buy a particular car because it may be seen as gay (the guy who rented an Escalade, for example). So as much as there are gays that trend in a particular direction, there are straights that will do the same (in a different way) because of different forces on their buying habits.

It's ultimately too hard to really tell, but it seems one way because peoples' brains start at gay/lesbian, and then move on to the other stuff associated with them.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:29 PM

The new WRX is ghey.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So thats why the badges are pink. J/k
Old 04-14-2007, 12:26 AM

I feel sorry for everyone over at the Miata camp. I have all the respect in the world for those cars. I've seen them at the track and they are DAMN capable. Problem is that they will always bee the "gay little roadster" to the public eye.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:14 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Only a problem if you're worried about what others think.
Don't feel sorry for the largely self-actualized Miata camp.
Feel sorry for the guys who have to have an Escalade or Charger/300C or other ginormous retarded vehicle in a futile attempt to compensate for their other shortcomings!
Old 04-14-2007, 11:47 AM

I've always thought that the Miata got the gay rap mainly because a higher percentage of women drive them than say BMW Z cars or S2000. So if a man drives a car that more women drive they must be, well, gay.

I always think people who really believe that are telling you more about themselves then they are about cars.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:52 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I never knew Frank Markus (of MT, and previously of C/D) was gay. I know Mike Duschane, formerly of Automobile and now of C/D is, and he was a frequent poster on the Boxster board.

Also, a C/D writer, Don Schroeder, who died a few years ago testing a RENNtech Benz was gay as well. I'm surprised there are so many homosexual car writers.

No biggie, just interesting.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The S2000 for homosexuals:

Old 04-16-2007, 09:31 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

well as someone who just bought a miata, i can certainly say that most people think my car is gay.

but guess what?

i dont care. a lot of people say that it doesnt bother them when someone makes fun of them (think if the "little person" from south park) when really thyey are crying on the inside. but i seriously dont give a shit. my miata is fun, fast, gets good gas mileage, and i like the fact that its little. traffic isnt such a problem with a car this small as i can pass someone with a small window of opportunity.

in short, i like my car and the fact that i **** girls exclusively is enough to make me indifferent to what people say about me based on my car.

are we all in the third grade?

Quick Reply: Gay by Design, or a Lifestyle Choice?