Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Gas payback calculator

Old 07-09-2008, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rai,Jul 9 2008, 02:42 PM
another point, does a hybrid really get 45 mpg? It depends on how you drive. Clarkson did a test with a Prius on the race track he got ~17 mpg. Not saying it's that in real world but if you like to have your foot into it the hybrids are just slow cars with average fuel economy.
Your desire to go fast really changes when you change out of a sports car. I drove my parent's Prius for a few months, & I agree with the person who once said that the car that you get, you focus on it's strong points. For example if you get an S Class Mercedes, it's all about the opulence & luxury, if you get a Vette it's about the hp & acceleration taimes, with the Prius it's all about the gas mileage.

When I drove it, my eye was constantly on the gas mileage estimator screen. I was so happy when I got better gas mileage, than worried about acceleration & handling.

On a few trips down to San Diego, when I averaged 75-80 mph all the way down, I averaged 45 mpg. Key is driving smoothly.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan,Jul 9 2008, 06:35 AM
On the right side of this MSN page, there's a calculator to determine how many years it'll take for a scooter purchase to pay for itself in gas purchases.

You can also put in numbers to look at going from, say, a truck to a hybrid. Assuming you'd be replacing a vehicle, for purchase price take into account the trade-in value of the old one, and for miles you can use it put the same as your weekly miles. (And for insurance, just put in zero dollars assuming that the new vehicle isn't much more than the old one.)

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Savin....aspx?GT1=33007

Might be of interest to people reading the "Overreacting to gas prices" thread.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...&f=73&t=608365

For example, if it costs you $20k to trade in your 14 mpg truck for a 45 mpg hybrid, it'd take you 9.77 years to break even driving 200 miles a week with $4/gal gas.
9 years but you now have a newer car that has an unbelievable resale to show for it.

You would have had a 9 year (older) truck and nothing to show for it.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:27 AM

[QUOTE=ruexp67,Jul 9 2008, 11:03 AM] With the windows down and the AC on?
Old 07-10-2008, 04:40 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by qsmarcei,Jul 10 2008, 06:27 AM
I dont think a g35 is going to net you 30mpg average.

It's not really breaking even. You own a newer, more desirable car. You would have spent the money one way or another (gas or car).
I doubt it would give me 30MPG either, but with less mileage, it would take even longer to reach the break-even.

What makes you think the G35 is more desireable TO ME than the SUV? I get great visibility in traffic, I can haul people and cargo, I have towing capacity, I can argue that in real-world driving situations I am safer, there is much more interior room for the driver.

Also, I didn't factor in interest on a $20,000 loan. I also didn't talk about the fact that the truck is paid for means that I don't have a car payment at all. The calculator also doesn't factor in the depreciation of a new car. So if I buy a brand new G35, the minute I drive it off the lot, I have lost money there too.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:50 AM

I think we are in agreement that the formula is vague and doesn't contain the amount of variables needed to make a sound decision.

The value of your truck to YOU has no bearing on its financial burden. Just because you need it, you want it, or you would prefer to use it doesnt mean it cost you any less. We buy things because we want them or need them and deal with the financial burdens accordingly.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:22 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, but it is still relevant to the conversation. Otherwise, everyone would be driving electric smart cars.

The car needs to fit the needs of the driver, and if I have to spend $20,000 to get a different car that meets my needs, then the finances just DON'T add up, since the current car meets the needs.

If I could meet my needs for no more than ~ $4000 it is getting closer, but much beyond that cost differential, the numbers just don't justify it.

When this car no longer meets my needs, either because my needs change, or the car does (breaks catastrophically for example) then the value proposition changes.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Malloric,Jul 9 2008, 10:47 PM
..something other than the $200 extra gas it costs you to drive a conspicuous vehicle is what is driving your switch.
Like I have said, and you just re-iterated, there are always exceptions to the rule. I know my reasons, you do not. So why do you question that which you do not know?

My original post was simply to give an example of how much money can be saved by making a switch. Oh, and to answer your question, with the amount of miles I drive, based on gas prices currently, the A4 will save me $500/month in gas alone. The payments will be around $200/month cheaper and maintenance & insurance will be considerably cheaper. I will instantly be near $800/month making the switch and as gas prices continue to soar (can you say $7/gallon??) I will be well beyond that savings a month.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by ruexp67,Jul 10 2008, 07:22 AM
Well, but it is still relevant to the conversation. Otherwise, everyone would be driving electric smart cars.

The car needs to fit the needs of the driver, and if I have to spend $20,000 to get a different car that meets my needs, then the finances just DON'T add up, since the current car meets the needs.

If I could meet my needs for no more than ~ $4000 it is getting closer, but much beyond that cost differential, the numbers just don't justify it.

When this car no longer meets my needs, either because my needs change, or the car does (breaks catastrophically for example) then the value proposition changes.
You chose the g35 as your own data point. I will not attempt to persuade you from your own data point. I will not prove the utility of your selection over your current situation. I dont know you from steve.

My comment of owning a more desirable car was just the fact that it is newer, and easier to sell. If you could pay off a 30,000$ car in 9 years by not driving a truck. That , to me, is a no brainer. Obviously we are very different.

nice vette
Old 07-10-2008, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qsmarcei,Jul 10 2008, 05:26 PM
You chose the g35 as your own data point. I will not attempt to persuade you from your own data point. I will not prove the utility of your selection over your current situation. I dont know you from steve.

My comment of owning a more desirable car was just the fact that it is newer, and easier to sell. If you could pay off a 30,000$ car in 9 years by not driving a truck. That , to me, is a no brainer. Obviously we are very different.

nice vette
NINE years! That's a long time to drive the same car. Now I'll drive a nine year old car, but not the same car for nine years.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:21 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow2001,Jul 9 2008, 08:41 AM
it really depends on the numbers. i play around with the calulator

my sti = i average about 18 mpg (thats if i shift at 3k rpm and not go into boost)
gas mileage for the scooter = 80 mpg (i am using there numbers)
price per gallom = $4.25 for the good stuff
miles I drive per week = 250 miles
miles per week you can use your scooter = 100 miles. I would only drive to work
amount you cold save a year = $951.53

price for scooter = i would buy use so, $2000
yearly insurance = no idea on scooter insurance

years to break even = 2.1 years

that calulator does not include, maintance, tires, repairs.

if gas is at 5.00, years to break even = 1.79 years
if gas is at 6.00, years to break even = 1.49 years

the articale does say that you can not carry a flat screen tv or winter. no winters here in houston and how many flat screens do people buy? i rare have them deliver it.
I think for liability only, scooter ins is like $75/year. How much damage to an SUV could you do on a scooter.

Had one of those in college. Good time.

Quick Reply: Gas payback calculator