Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Garage floor protection

Old 01-26-2005, 10:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Garage floor protection

Mods: Feel free to move this if this isn't the appropriate forum. I just figure the guys that spend a lot of time UTH probably have an intimate relationship with their garage.

Anyway... so I'm building a new house, and I'm wondering what kind of protection I should used on the garage floor. Epoxy, standard concrete Sealant, Floor tiles?

I've seen lots of recommendations for the Epoxy (like Rustoleum stuff), but I wonder about traction when the floor is wet. Is there a recommended way to increase traction?

What about floor tiles? They are probably a bit pricier than what I'd like to pay (especially since I have some 600+ sq.ft. to cover), but are there any advantages to them over epoxy?

Are there other alternatives? Anyone have any experience/recommendations?
Old 01-26-2005, 12:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tiles look good but are a little expensive and can be a maintenance issue if abused. Painted or epoxy surfaces look good when new but wear.. they can use an addittive to increase traction. Believe it or not the most comfortable garage I worked in has outdoor carpet which the owner just replaces every couple of years when it gets dirty (spills and leaks seem they would be an issue but he avoids most somehow).
Old 01-26-2005, 01:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Moving to S2000 Talk but I'll leave a link here in UTH.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested as well... It's my parents' garage but it houses my car so I'm in there more than anyone I think I'll be going with the epoxy though... tiles are wayyy too expensive. I looked at some prices and there's no way I'd spend that much money on a floor of a garage that's definitely going to get messed up unless its going to be under a Ferrari!
Old 01-26-2005, 02:22 PM

I've been thinking about doing the epoxy. I've seen two floors finished (one blue and one beige) and they look beautiful. Doing it when you build the house is the way to go. I have a 4 yr old floor that has to go thru all the prep to clean stains and fill scratchs and chips so the epoxy seals correctly and looks good. www.ucoatit.com is one of many makers; I saw it on two guys garage or something on speed channel.

edit, btw, for traction most of these places have kits that include colored texture that you sprinkle onto the surface while it's wet. One of the options is flecks of ground up rubber made for added traction. Not sure I'm explaining it well, but it looks great when it's done. I wanted to do mine the day after I saw my friend's floor.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:46 PM

Epoxy floor coating is the best. You can do it yourself with very little effort and great results. Even with a new concrete floor you'll need to etch it. You'll be surprised how dirty a new floor can be. Well worth the time.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I think you have to wait a few months before you use any of the coatings so that the concrete cures properly.......

I went cheap and used garage floor paint instead of epoxy......I have a few spots there is hot tire lift....

if you coat.....follow IndyS2000's advice.......etch it!!
Old 01-27-2005, 05:18 AM

Thanks for the input. With the epoxy stuff, is there any problem with scratching/gouging? I know that my floor jack has a tendency to leave marks, even on my current concrete garage floor. I'm wondering if the epoxy would be resistent to this.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:06 AM

[QUOTE=mxt_77,Jan 27 2005, 09:18 AM] Thanks for the input.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by mbilderback,Jan 27 2005, 10:06 AM
PS as far as the jack is concerned, it might gouge anything so try attacking the source and fix your jack.
Fix the root cause? That's a novel concept.

Thanks for the feedback!

Quick Reply: Garage floor protection