Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

G35 coupe 03-04

Old 08-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by macdaddies911,Aug 30 2010, 03:23 AM
I've noticed prices on g35 coupes getting cheaper and am thinking of picking one up as a DD.

Anyone have advice or input?

Anything to look for or be worried about>

I'm considering auto or stick doesn't matter to me but does the auto tranny have any issues?
Don't. They suck, they're huge, they're slow, the interiors are very low quality.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys are they mechanically sound I welcome your opinions but would like to know i'm not looking at a hunk of shyt.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Owned a '05 G35c for 3 years, while my mom has an '05 TL that I get to drive around often.

The G35c was my daily driver, and it served nicely as a DD, with decent power and a nice exhaust note. Decent amount of interior room and fairly good ride comfort. But other than that, it was boring to drive and too heavy to toss around. Engine was strong like advertised. My other car is a Z4M-coupe so I can't really complain about the G35c's gas mileage. It's actually hard to decribe it, but the G35c was completely souless and lacked personality. It didn't excite me and didn't stir up my emotions in any way. It didn't feel like a "toy". It felt like a nice DD that got me from point A to B, which was probably Infiniti's intention when they decided to build the car. To be honest, it wasn't until I read this thread now that I went "damn I couldn't believe I actually owned the G35c for 3 years; I kinda just forgot about that car".

On the other hand, it's way ahead of my mom's '05 TL. I actually love the TL's styling, but every time I drive her TL I'm reminded of why FWD sux and why RWD is superior to FWD. Over a period of 3 years, the G35c's interior held up a lot better and was put together a lot tigher than my mom's TL. I maintained both cars myself and the G35's leather seemed a lot more robust whereas the TL's leather started wrinkling and drying/cracking a litte bit a lot sooner. No exhaust note or engine sound in the TL compared to the G35. Gas mileage isn't much better than the G35's, if at all. As boring as I thought my G35c was to drive, I'd become a zombie if I had to drive the TL everyday.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by macdaddies911,Aug 30 2010, 01:11 PM
Guys are they mechanically sound I welcome your opinions but would like to know i'm not looking at a hunk of shyt.
It's a mechanically sound hunk of shit.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:38 PM

When I was looking at a DD (new) back in '03, I drove the G35 but ended up getting an IS300 (sport cross). No regrets, it's still a great car, feels much less ponderous, has been dead reliable, interior still feels quality. Gas mileage isn't amazing, but a bit better than the G35. I can't speak to the long-term reliability of the G35 though.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z4EC,Aug 30 2010, 10:51 AM
Owned a '05 G35c for 3 years, while my mom has an '05 TL that I get to drive around often.

The G35c was my daily driver, and it served nicely as a DD, with decent power and a nice exhaust note. Decent amount of interior room and fairly good ride comfort. But other than that, it was boring to drive and too heavy to toss around. Engine was strong like advertised. My other car is a Z4M-coupe so I can't really complain about the G35c's gas mileage. It's actually hard to decribe it, but the G35c was completely souless and lacked personality. It didn't excite me and didn't stir up my emotions in any way. It didn't feel like a "toy". It felt like a nice DD that got me from point A to B, which was probably Infiniti's intention when they decided to build the car. To be honest, it wasn't until I read this thread now that I went "damn I couldn't believe I actually owned the G35c for 3 years; I kinda just forgot about that car".

On the other hand, it's way ahead of my mom's '05 TL. I actually love the TL's styling, but every time I drive her TL I'm reminded of why FWD sux and why RWD is superior to FWD. Over a period of 3 years, the G35c's interior held up a lot better and was put together a lot tigher than my mom's TL. I maintained both cars myself and the G35's leather seemed a lot more robust whereas the TL's leather started wrinkling and drying/cracking a litte bit a lot sooner. No exhaust note or engine sound in the TL compared to the G35. Gas mileage isn't much better than the G35's, if at all. As boring as I thought my G35c was to drive, I'd become a zombie if I had to drive the TL everyday.
awesome insight, i appreciate it!

What MOST ppl aren't getting is I'm not in the market for a sports car to toss around and bond with blah blah blah...

I need something thats somewhat comfortable with decent torque and pick up to get me to school and home etc etc..

The next car i'll buy that will mean something to me will be an S2000 successor.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Z4EC,Aug 30 2010, 11:51 AM

Kinda weird that after 03(?) when the new body style appeared, it seemed like the TL's quality spiraled downward. They rattle and creak horribly and the leather quality wasn't as good as the older ones.

Not sure about the new ones.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:50 PM

The problem is it's not comfortable in my opinion. I owned one for 6 months before getting rid of it because the cars are pure and utter shit.

I hated the seats, found them extremely uncomfortable. Overly aggressive lumbar support + the seats are too narrow.

I hated the ergonomics of the cabin, typical Nissan "place buttons everywhere" syndrome. In Honda's changing AC/Fan/Stereo stuff is intuitive, in G35's it's a mess. Bose stereo was crap.

I found with the bigger Rays wheels the car rode terribly over bad pavement, it felt like it was "crashing" rather than absorbing. Rear end would skip around when pushed.

Head room is non existent since 98% of them come with sunroofs. Terrible blind spots and rearward visibility (I guess sacrifice for aesthetic appeal)

Rattles galore (many owner complaints)

Position of seat belt is = to being put in a rear naked choke (many owner complaints)

But beyond that like others have touched on the damn thing drives like a truck. The transmission feels like it came out of a truck, the motor which is insanely loud and unnecessarily coarse feels like it came out of a truck (happens to be in everything in Nissans line up including a truck) the entire car just drives clunky and truck like.

Mine had 9K miles and after the first week of ownership I actually jacked it up to look at the motor mounts to ensure they were still good because I couldn't understand why there was so much vibration throughout the car and shifter. Oh yeah 22MPG in your dreams, closer to 17-18.

Lastly the exhaust note was cool 5 years ago but now it just sounds like a dying whale to me. If you noticed Nissan made G37's exhaust much quieter.

05-06 got the Rev up motor with more HP but lost torque and moved the power band farther up the RPM range, so it's no faster than the 03-04. Also 05-06 have oil consumption issues. I have thoroughly looked over the 05-06 in comparison to my 04 and found better quality interior (Nicer carpet, floor mats, different dash board with softer plastic, different door panel trim, new gauge cluster that looks less Nissan Maxima, headunit swaps buttons for nobs, and other small changes.)

There is probably more I can't remember (or choose not to) but from the day I owned the car to the day I sold it, I could never get comfortable driving the damn thing regardless of adjustments.

Anyway the car sucks. Buy something else or test drive it to see for yourself. Or better yet buy something that makes more sense because G35's don't.

EDIT: You asked mechanically, they are reliable but just don't put your windows down because the regulators go bad often. I think this has to do with the design of the frameless doors requiring the window glass to automatically lower 1/4 inch every time the door is opened so it doesn't slam against the door frame of the body.

I forgot to mention the oil dipstick. It makes me so angry I'm not even going to comment. Thank god it was changed in 05.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:53 PM

I've had the 05 G35 and 07 Tl, night and day, the G was horrible. Get a TL hands down.

The G seats were horrible, and very uncomfortable. The interior layout is just crap and not thoughtout well. The TL on the other hand had the black leather, and held up very well even with kids. Much better then the G. A lot more comfortable, great over long drives, and gas was a lot better then the G. The feel of the Acura was nice and classy and fun to drive as a DD. everything about the car is just so much nicer and more put together. I owned both at the same time for about a year and a half. So you can really feel the difference switching from one car to the other.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:54 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdizzle,Aug 30 2010, 07:50 PM
Lastly the exhaust note was cool 5 years ago but now it just sounds like a dying whale to me.
lol

Quick Reply: G35 coupe 03-04