Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Fun > numbers...

Old 11-06-2015, 08:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
There has to be a balance of both. A first gen miata is engaging to drive but I wouldn't call it fun, it's just too slow to be fun. I drove a student's 700 hp Shelby Super Snake and it was fast (sorta) in a straight line but wasn't fun to drive on track at all. My supercharged Elise was very engaging and had just barely enough performance (1953 lbs, 250 crank hp) to be fun overall. I think a S2000 has about the right mix of engagement and performance.
I disagree with you there, I think a first gen Miata is a ton of fun.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:17 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1446821527' post='23796628
There has to be a balance of both. A first gen miata is engaging to drive but I wouldn't call it fun, it's just too slow to be fun. I drove a student's 700 hp Shelby Super Snake and it was fast (sorta) in a straight line but wasn't fun to drive on track at all. My supercharged Elise was very engaging and had just barely enough performance (1953 lbs, 250 crank hp) to be fun overall. I think a S2000 has about the right mix of engagement and performance.
I disagree with you there, I think a first gen Miata is a ton of fun.
Go drive one at COTA or any big track in an instructor run group with a bunch of Vipers, GT-Rs, GT3s, that will change your mind. I've owned 2 myself (93LE, 97) and got tired of not being able to pass V6 minivans trying to get on to the freeway.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:24 AM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Any conversation talking about fun is going to be subjective by nature. I agree that overall speed increases the fun factor for me because it increases the fear factor and I like being a little scared. If my heart isn't pumping a little faster then to me it simply isn't as fun.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Go drive one at COTA or any big track in an instructor run group with a bunch of Vipers, GT-Rs, GT3s, that will change your mind. I've owned 2 myself (93LE, 97) and got tired of not being able to pass V6 minivans trying to get on to the freeway.
Eh, it's more of a street car. I had a 93LE too! Great car, really wish I had kept it... I don't really sweat getting passed by minivans and stuff though. I am sure it would be frustrating on the track but it's tons of fun on the back roads then again, so is a Corvette....
Old 11-06-2015, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truth in that statement. It's why manual equipped exotics are going for double or triple what their paddle shift counterparts are. The manual will come back.. It's just more fun.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:18 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

I use to own a Maserati and it's all about flair, style and emotion. Sure, Maserati won World Championships and Indy, but that was decades ago. Maserati hasn't had world class leader since the Bora. They do make beautiful cars with some of the best looking interiors in the last 30 years. Italian cars never deliver on price point. There is always some cost cutting. Heck, even Ferrari is not immune to this.

Right now, Maserati's Achilles heal is the time from design to dealer's showroom. I'd like to see them shed the steel and mimic similar construction as Tata is doing. Sergio seems like he's content with Maserati and focus is on or has always been on the long dollar with Alfa (goes back to my earlier statement on taking too long to get product out).
Old 11-07-2015, 09:13 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by rnye
Truth in that statement. It's why manual equipped exotics are going for double or triple what their paddle shift counterparts are. The manual will come back.. It's just more fun.

Very true point, holds true for m3s, vettes, Zs, etc but I wonder if that's a function of demand or supply.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine had a Porsche Cayman. He was at a Porsche Club track day with one of the factory drivers (sorry, it was about 10 years back and the details of who are now quite fuzzy). Anyway, the factory driver commented that the Cayman was the best driving of the current cars. It wasn't the fastest around the track but it was the best road going Porsche in his view because it had the best balance between feel, usable grip, breakaway etc. As a long time Miata owner I really understand this. The S2000 is a car that also really hits those points (though the steering feel was never as good as the early Miatas).
Old 11-09-2015, 12:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

but its the numbers that sells cars
Old 11-10-2015, 05:32 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by myclue
but its the numbers that sells cars
Says the guy with the GT-R lol

Quick Reply: Fun > numbers...