Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

FRS vs RX8 vs S2000 on Everyday Driver

Old 05-06-2013, 05:11 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Great review, and very unsurprising one as well.
But the thing that many people fail to realize is that the fact that theyre even comparing the 86 twins to a dedicated, more expensive sports car and can't immediately be dismissed already shows how great the car really is. You don't see people comparing GTIs, Mini Coopers, WRXs, etc to the s2000.
Alot of folks are turned off by the fact that the s2000 is a two seat convertible. Yes, the FRS backseats are tiny, but theyre there, and offers additional cargo in a pinch. Not everyone's lives completely revolve around cars, some people actually like go to home depot or ikea every once in a while, or has to give a ride to their friend's hot lil friend, etc. I DDed my S for the last 6mos of college, and it worked out well, but it did make me really miss the extra cargo room. Probably the best thing that happened to my affection for the S was getting a boring 4 door sedan DD to go with it... and then I found I enjoyed driving mundane, undramatic cars.
I love the S, owned two in fact, and I could logically own another one in the future, but I also learned that the car just isn't for me. I love driver's cars, but I want all the involvement without the harshness and rattles. And I'm a cheap bastard so enter the FRS.
Just waiting for the news on teh STI model, supposed to be in sept. Also waiting to hear about the new IRS mustang.
Good post.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Great review, and very unsurprising one as well.
But the thing that many people fail to realize is that the fact that theyre even comparing the 86 twins to a dedicated, more expensive sports car and can't immediately be dismissed already shows how great the car really is. You don't see people comparing GTIs, Mini Coopers, WRXs, etc to the s2000.
Alot of folks are turned off by the fact that the s2000 is a two seat convertible. Yes, the FRS backseats are tiny, but theyre there, and offers additional cargo in a pinch. Not everyone's lives completely revolve around cars, some people actually like go to home depot or ikea every once in a while, or has to give a ride to their friend's hot lil friend, etc. I DDed my S for the last 6mos of college, and it worked out well, but it did make me really miss the extra cargo room. Probably the best thing that happened to my affection for the S was getting a boring 4 door sedan DD to go with it... and then I found I enjoyed driving mundane, undramatic cars.
I love the S, owned two in fact, and I could logically own another one in the future, but I also learned that the car just isn't for me. I love driver's cars, but I want all the involvement without the harshness and rattles. And I'm a cheap bastard so enter the FRS.
Just waiting for the news on teh STI model, supposed to be in sept. Also waiting to hear about the new IRS mustang.
I think it has more to do with the layout of the car over what the car is capable of. There just aren't many lightweight rwd cars out right now. They're all bigger vehicles with less feel. You constantly see miata vs brz vs s2k vs rx8 vs boxster because they're all something similar: Lightweight rwd.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People keep harping on the NEW BRZ/FRS in STI form. But Toyota and Subaru both said publicly that they agreed in contract not to offer a boosted version till at least the 2015 model. So whats the big deal?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Owning both, I agree that the fun factor is there in both cars, with the s2000 being slightly more fun. The s2000 is also a lot more difficult to drive at the limit. The S2000 is closer to its potential in stock form than the FRS is. While the s2000 might be able to achieve 85% of it's potential in stock form without mods (for a track setting), the FRS is closer to 75% of its potential in stock form. Knowing this, I would never expect a stock FRS to perform as well as a stock S2000.

That being said, for the enthusiasts on this forum, the fact that the aftermarket has embraced the frs/brz so quickly is a great thing. I think Toyota and Subaru have a real winner on their hands. The popularity of track days, etc, combined with the low entry price, and more practical nature of the FRS/BRZ has made it a car that you can truly drive everyday, but still take out and autox, canyon run, or track on the weekends. It's more practical and for enthusiasts only able to have one car, it's great.

The s2000 on the other hand is unique in that it's not a parts bin car. Great for performance, but at the same time, you can tell Honda didn't intend for the car to be a daily driver. Minimal windshield wiper settings, no rain rail on the soft top to keep water from pouring in off the top when you open the door or window in the rain, etc.

Consider the S2000 a full dedicated running shoe, while the FRS is a cross trainer. You can do the same activities in both kinds of shoes, but the cross trainers are more verstile (though compromised in a full on marathon), while the FRS (cross trainers) work better in all other activities aside from that marathon.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:27 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GT Motoring II
Owning both, I agree that the fun factor is there in both cars, with the s2000 being slightly more fun. The s2000 is also a lot more difficult to drive at the limit. The S2000 is closer to its potential in stock form than the FRS is. While the s2000 might be able to achieve 85% of it's potential in stock form without mods (for a track setting), the FRS is closer to 75% of its potential in stock form. Knowing this, I would never expect a stock FRS to perform as well as a stock S2000.

That being said, for the enthusiasts on this forum, the fact that the aftermarket has embraced the frs/brz so quickly is a great thing. I think Toyota and Subaru have a real winner on their hands. The popularity of track days, etc, combined with the low entry price, and more practical nature of the FRS/BRZ has made it a car that you can truly drive everyday, but still take out and autox, canyon run, or track on the weekends. It's more practical and for enthusiasts only able to have one car, it's great.

The s2000 on the other hand is unique in that it's not a parts bin car. Great for performance, but at the same time, you can tell Honda didn't intend for the car to be a daily driver. Minimal windshield wiper settings, no rain rail on the soft top to keep water from pouring in off the top when you open the door or window in the rain, etc.

Consider the S2000 a full dedicated running shoe, while the FRS is a cross trainer. You can do the same activities in both kinds of shoes, but the cross trainers are more verstile (though compromised in a full on marathon), while the FRS (cross trainers) work better in all other activities aside from that marathon.
Forgive me if you've answered this elsewhere, but how would you rate the steering feel on the FRS compared to the S2000?

I know in the video they said that all of the cars get EPS right, but frankly I don't believe it because IMO the steering feel is the S2000's one big (and relatively un-fixable) weakness.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW2 Tuning
Forgive me if you've answered this elsewhere, but how would you rate the steering feel on the FRS compared to the S2000?

I know in the video they said that all of the cars get EPS right, but frankly I don't believe it because IMO the steering feel is the S2000's one big (and relatively un-fixable) weakness.
Steering FEEL is better than the s2000's, but not by leaps and bounds. It's a marginal difference, but you can feel it.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:01 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

In general, the skinnier the tire, the better the feel, so the BRZ's narrow tires may have something to do with that.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
In general, the skinnier the tire, the better the feel, so the BRZ's narrow tires may have something to do with that.

okay, i've fixed the age old problem of numb steering feel in the S. Lets go put two spare tires on!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GT Motoring II

Nice analogy!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:48 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
The BRZ/FRS has 215 section width tires at all four corners. The AP2 S2000 has 215 section width tires in the front. So for steering feel...they're the same in that respect

Quick Reply: FRS vs RX8 vs S2000 on Everyday Driver