Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

FR-S Pricing Leaked

Old 03-21-2012, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FR-S Pricing Leaked

When it hits Scion dealers in June, the 2013 FR-S will be priced from $24,200 according to a leaked dealer document. That puts it just $50 under the 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

Included in that price will be the 200 hp 2.0-liter direct-injection boxer 4-cylinder mated to a six-speed manual transmission. Those wishing for the surprisingly good six-speed automatic will have to add $1,100 more for a total of $25,300.

The FR-S will be available in seven colors: Raven, Asphalt, Hot Lava, Argento, Ultramarine, Firestorm and Whiteout.

For more on the Scion’s new rear-drive sports car, read AutoGuide’s 2013 Scion FR-S First Drive Here, or watch our video below.

Link: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ked-24200.html

Here's the link to the FT86 forum on the price: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4328

What do you guys think?
Old 03-21-2012, 04:30 PM

I think its solid pricing. The chassis performance is supposed to be good and the dimensions certainly suggest it on paper. However, the engine is very low quality from a performance standpoint. 150-ish ft-lbs is acceptable, but only if it can be delivered at very high RPM. 7400rpm redline in conjunction with that is very disappointing. Its a bad catch 22 because what can you do about it? You can FI it and sacrifice the entire premise as a driver's car or you can pour stupid amounts of money to milk out some more RPM from a $24k car? Its also slightly front heavy with mcpherson struts in front...quite frankly extremely disappointing because this thing was designed from the ground up to be what it is. Its not some side project derived from existing cars. I think that it will be a good tuning base and if MSRP is $24k, then street price should be fair for what you are getting.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Genesis has more power for the same money but it is a lot heavier. The FRS seems more driver focused and will appeal more to the enthusiasts and track junkies. I wouldn't buy it for 24K but it's only because I have the S.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:35 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Hmm. It's easy to dismiss this pricing as fail, but let's dig a little deeper. The base gen coupe isnt noticeably higher, but it does come with more power but with more weight. For me, the gen coupe to get the is the v6. Yeah, the I4 turbo can be made to make such and such power, but it doesnt have the solid internals and better turbo like the evo, so I question its durability at and above 300hp. The V6 mustang imo is probably more of a viable option since it packs 300hp and undercuts the price, but again not apples to apples and neither is really comparing the gen coupe, but people will understandably compare the two.
But here's the thing, assuming there is no FI options, with the frs you're getting the best offering whereas with the gen and mustang you're getting the lesser model, so while the gen and mustang feel like it should have more power, the frs will feel right with what it has. Again, not apple to apples, and people may need more room, or want the more power, or want more of a cruiser, and that's cool too, but I don't think theyre necessarily a better value than the frs, just offer a different package.
So enough wihh the value comparison, let's talk numbers. Considering an RSX Type S cost about 23Kish when it came out, a celica gts was actually more than that, 24K for a rwd version of those cars seems like a good value to me. Yeah, no leather, no sunroof, but it does have rwd, can't have it all I guess, lol. And those cars are over a decade old now too, so you need to adjust for inflation. Also consider that an SI today will cost you about 22K and well, seems like a fair price to me. It won't beat any of the cars I mentioned in this post on paper, but to a discerning crowd it will have the goods they're looking for.
For me, yeah I'm not happy that it's not 20K, but I guess it's the frugal bastard in me because realistically speaking if you really think about it, 24k is a fair price, 20K would've been a steal (I mean that's practically civic ex/corolla s money) like how the the scion tc was back in 2005. But unlike the tc, this car isn't meant to be a volume seller, and they realize that, and I'm sure they'll easily find enough butts for 24K. The real question is how much will the BRZ be?
For me, I like buying the best of a breed and I think most folks are. Think about how many people on these boards like mustangs (ok not many, but a number of us do) but won't buy a v6 version as our toy car, but can find something in its price segment we would buy. So if I were looking for a car at 24K, I'd be looking at the FRS. If I were looking at gen coupes, I'd be looking at the v6 (I prefer the V6), but if I were looking at that car at its current pricing I'd be definitely looking at the mustang gt.
But to be a bit cheeky, in reality, I'll be watching the prices on ls3 C6s a little longer, 24K isn't a no brainer run to the dealer and order one kind of price for an frs, it's more of yeah it's worth it but let me shop around. And that's my conclusion.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:58 PM

I'd have to agree with you, especially the part about buying the "best model" of a car. I honestly thought the car would be 22k-23k to compete directly with the Civic SI. However, 24k isn't bad, higher than most would want but a fair price. I can see the BRZ start around ~25k and go up with the options, but my guess would be as good as yours. We'll just have to wait and see. I think what it comes down to is if the people interested in the car feel it's worth 24k, or would they rather jump to something else.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:52 PM

There's a rather long discussion on ft86club.com about pricing, and a fair amount of the forum members think the price is a bit high. 24k isn't cheap, but when you look at the current competition, the car looks like a pretty good value. A new miata with the touring package (17inch wheels+six speed) goes for $25,830, A Mini Cooper S with the Sport Package and Sport Suspension goes for $25550. A Genesis Coup with the R-Spec package goes for $27,375. A lot of the FR-S competition has a lower base price, but once you add up all the sport package stuff, they become a bit more expensive than the FR-S. I like the fact that, like the S2000, this car come standard with the sport package built in. If this car drives as well as all the magazines say it does, it could be a very popular autocross and trackday car. I've seen a few shots of some racing versions, and looks like this car could become very popular at the club racing level as well.
The only problem that I see is Toyota trying to sell a sports car of any kind in the current economy. 24 grand is a good value by sports car standards, but it's still a lot of money. A lot of young buyers may simply opt for a used sports car (like an S2000), or keep on driving their current car. The other problem is that this car is being marketed and sold to enthusiasts only. The Miata and Mini appeal to autocrossers and hairdressers in equal measure. I don't think the FR-S will do the same. It seems like enthusiast only cars have a high initial demand, and then demand drops off rather quickly once all the people who wanted the car go out and buy it. At least that seems like the case with the Lotus Elise and the car I'm currently driving. That means there might not be enough used ones around in 5 years to start up a decent spec series.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:53 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Nice looking car, and as others said, for the money it seems reasonable. Is it a little underpowered for most people's liking? Probably, but considering a civic Si is only a little cheaper and this is RWD, it seems like a reasonable price. Only problem I see is like the person above said.. I'm afraid people getting this car are only going to be looking precisely for this kind of car (a driver's car), but I hope I'm wrong, perhaps there's a larger market for this car. Are they going to be able to convince civic Si buyers to buy this thing as well as grab marketshare from other cars? Perhaps.. We'll have to see. If the car is as good as it's hyped up to be, I certainly wish it well, as it'd be nice to see cars on the road that are fun to drive. Perhaps it'll encourage more cars like it.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Hmm. It's easy to dismiss this pricing as fail, but let's dig a little deeper. The base gen coupe isnt noticeably higher, but it does come with more power but with more weight. For me, the gen coupe to get the is the v6. Yeah, the I4 turbo can be made to make such and such power, but it doesnt have the solid internals and better turbo like the evo, so I question its durability at and above 300hp. The V6 mustang imo is probably more of a viable option since it packs 300hp and undercuts the price, but again not apples to apples and neither is really comparing the gen coupe, but people will understandably compare the two.
But here's the thing, assuming there is no FI options, with the frs you're getting the best offering whereas with the gen and mustang you're getting the lesser model, so while the gen and mustang feel like it should have more power, the frs will feel right with what it has. Again, not apple to apples, and people may need more room, or want the more power, or want more of a cruiser, and that's cool too, but I don't think theyre necessarily a better value than the frs, just offer a different package.
So enough wihh the value comparison, let's talk numbers. Considering an RSX Type S cost about 23Kish when it came out, a celica gts was actually more than that, 24K for a rwd version of those cars seems like a good value to me. Yeah, no leather, no sunroof, but it does have rwd, can't have it all I guess, lol. And those cars are over a decade old now too, so you need to adjust for inflation. Also consider that an SI today will cost you about 22K and well, seems like a fair price to me. It won't beat any of the cars I mentioned in this post on paper, but to a discerning crowd it will have the goods they're looking for.
For me, yeah I'm not happy that it's not 20K, but I guess it's the frugal bastard in me because realistically speaking if you really think about it, 24k is a fair price, 20K would've been a steal (I mean that's practically civic ex/corolla s money) like how the the scion tc was back in 2005. But unlike the tc, this car isn't meant to be a volume seller, and they realize that, and I'm sure they'll easily find enough butts for 24K. The real question is how much will the BRZ be?
For me, I like buying the best of a breed and I think most folks are. Think about how many people on these boards like mustangs (ok not many, but a number of us do) but won't buy a v6 version as our toy car, but can find something in its price segment we would buy. So if I were looking for a car at 24K, I'd be looking at the FRS. If I were looking at gen coupes, I'd be looking at the v6 (I prefer the V6), but if I were looking at that car at its current pricing I'd be definitely looking at the mustang gt.
But to be a bit cheeky, in reality, I'll be watching the prices on ls3 C6s a little longer, 24K isn't a no brainer run to the dealer and order one kind of price for an frs, it's more of yeah it's worth it but let me shop around. And that's my conclusion.
for me, paragraphs
Old 03-22-2012, 07:08 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Price sounds fine to me. 6MT, 200 hp, LSD, great handling, great looks (better than anything else mentioned on this page) and typical Toyota reliability mean this car will probably sell very well.

A WRX may be something that tempts people looking for a genuinely quick car but otherwise, this thing really has no competitor as an all-around car. The V6 Mustang will blow it away for speed but that car is big, heavy, has a rough interior and isn't particularly good-looking with it's dinky wheels and tires. The Genesis Coupe with the new 2.0T motor should be faster as well, and pretty decent in handling, but not nearly as focused. The Genesis, to me, seems a closer overall competitor (looks, price, power) even if it is more of a GT car in base trim.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has no pricing been leaked for the club racer/track version? That one is supposed to be bare bones with 16 steel wheels and all. Or is that only being offered by Subaru?

Quick Reply: FR-S Pricing Leaked