Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Formula 1 Grand Prix of Germany Update

Old 08-04-2003, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by slick rick
MS has a been in a slump lately.
Interesting perspective considering he has won more GPs this than any other driver. In fact, he has won more GPs this YEAR than many (including JPM) have won in thier entire F1 careers. If any other driver did this, he would be having a fanastic year...I guess MS has a higher bar to clear...

There was no doubting the Williams performance this race though...
Old 08-05-2003, 10:05 AM

I wish I could dig up a post from the beginning of this year where I said that this year is going to be very unpredictable.

You see, when Michelin got in the game, they didn't set any record books on fire. They just kind of mosied around and got a little better here, a little better there and in the rain they were just lost.

Well in the off season all the top brass was being threatened if they didn't get their act together. So they dug a little deeper and pulled out a rabbit.

All of a sudden this year Michelins were competitive. Straight out body-blow to Bridge. Now they were scrambling. They were at a huge disadvantage from the word "go".

Look at the McLaren. Last year -- nah, nothing special, just kind of hung in there scooping up points that the Ferrari and Williams left behind.
Now look at this year. Same car, albeit some cheating bastard mods (j/k btw), is now a very formidable weapon. It's suddenly in contention. Aside from David Retard, sorry Coulthard, not being able to come to grips with single lap qualifying, they are always up there.

So why would the same car go from mid pack to the front while the competition IMPROVED? It's because of tires.

So when I say MS has been in a slump, I should say Bridgestone has been in a slump. It's so obvious.

But, Schuey - the champ that he is, has refused to critisize Bridgestone. Instead he has said that their package hasn't been strong enough. Very impressive!

Let me know what you guys think
Old 08-05-2003, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with you Rick. MS is showing serious class and, like someone said above, more civilized track manners.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:21 AM

Slick Rick,
After following MS's career from his Benneton days, one has to be impressed with the maturity that has taken place over the years. From the days when he would drive a competitor off the course (JV when he was at Williams) to his support for JPM's controversial moves this year, Michael is far and away the premier talent in F1. I was at the Canadian GP this year (and several before) and absolutely marveled at the racing. I am fortunate to have seen this talent (as well as Alonso for that matter) drive in person.

You are correct about the tire war~Michelin is kicking the tar out of Bridgestone and the Michelin tires make all the cars using them look so much better. As you stated, the McLaren cars (last year's version at that) have been more than competitive using tires designed for the 17 (though it did take them a year to figure it out). Another Michelin runner, Renault (the surprise of the year) can actually give the bigger teams a real run for the money.

It ain't over yet, but I think it'll be Ferrari and Michael one more time. Last race, last lap... Who says F1 is boring?
Old 08-05-2003, 10:44 AM

You know, I have followed MS' career extensively and I have read quite a bit about him as well as other champions.

Believe it or not, crazy moves like he has displayed in the past only outline his utter commitment for me. I appreciate that he is willing to do whatever it takes to win. He is ruthless and shrewd and that's what makes me like him even more.

But he is also very political and genuine. The people that have worked with him -- in whatever capacity -- say he is a great person and a great leader.

As far as Renault is concerned, they are the only team using the OCP suspension. Optimal Contact Patch. It's something that Micheling came up with and patented. They offered it to all the Michelin teams, but everybody else turned it down. It basically changes the camber of the wheels on the straights. It makes the contact patch bigger on the straights. Pretty obvious from the name, huh?

Some interesting racing left this year though.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:07 PM

Slick Rick...I absolutely agree with you on the tires...Michelin is doing a great job and I believe that the Bridgestones are limiting Ferrari's chassis/engine currently.

Too bad they had to change the rules this year, it would have been much easier to compare seasons if the rules did not change.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:23 PM

True that.

I see some of you guys are real afficionados. That's great!

I say we set up an F1 discussion forum on this board.

There is an infinate amount of wisdom that you can gather from behind-the-scenes in Formula 1.

The whole thing is just so dam mindboggling.