Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Forgotten Performers

Old 09-15-2009, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacques79,Sep 15 2009, 07:16 AM
Ok so now only cheap American big V8 cars that are inexpensive to fix can be posted?

Yes I am a Boxster S fanboy. I'm also a Mustang Cobra fanboy, an M3 fanboy, a Z3M fanboy, a Z4M fanboy, an S2000 fanboy, an Integra Type R fanboy, a WRX fanboy, a Miata fanboy, etc...

I like all sorts of cars and different types of cars give different types of driving pleasure.

You don't go in a Mustang Cobra looking for S2000-like shifting precision and at the same time you don't floor an S2000 looking for Cobra-like neck snapping acceleration.
Considering cost is one of the main points of this discussion yes. Just because you can buy a certain car for $12,000 it doesn't mean it's a bargain... not even close. I know you can find a B5 S4 for around that, or even an FD RX-7... yet you will spend half of the cost of the entire cost in a year or so just in repairs and maintenance.

Don't come back with "it depends on how well it's been cared for". Partly? Yes, but only a tiny percent unless a car was used in a destruction derby. A Boxster, a b5 S4, an FD RX-7 all can be had for cheap, they are expensive to repair, not particularly reliable especially in comparison to competition and that comes into play in the BARGAIN factor.

Saying a Boxster S or whatever is a bargain at $15,000 when they are as expensive to maintain and repair is like saying it's ok to pay the $20,000 "bargain" sticker price with $8,000 in hidden "fees".

If cheap domestic V8's are the only thing that fits the mold then so be it but the bottom line is a Boxster does NOT.

And for you Mr. Pedal faster... if you think that a Boxster S is only a half of a second lap time slower than an LS1 Powered C5 FRC you're smoking crack. I can ASSURE you that you will FEEL the difference between a 5.7L Alluminum block pushrod V8 putting down 330+RWHP and almost 400 Ft lbs of torque over a 258 crank HP roadster that weighs about 100 lbs less than the Vette...
Old 09-15-2009, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Sep 15 2009, 08:26 AM
My mistake -- for some reason I was thinking the C4's last year was '99, not '96. Late model C4s aren't that much cheaper, though -- the difference is roughly four grand:

http://www.nadaguides.com/usedcars.aspx?LI...da=-1&mi=130000
Someone with such a strong opinion with such conviction should not be so neive as to look at book values as a primary source to what cars do or do not go for.

I can assure you the difference is more than $4,000.

Did you know NADA and KBB are still to this day over $10-15,000 off in book value compared to market value? It has been that way for over 7 years now...

Are you the guy that trusts consumer reports regarding reliability as well?

Do you buy a car because the commercial said it won an award for "initial quality"?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:48 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Sep 15 2009, 08:26 AM
My mistake -- for some reason I was thinking the C4's last year was '99, not '96. Late model C4s aren't that much cheaper, though -- the difference is roughly four grand:
All good, but you could get the C4 for cheaper since the 96 isn't much different from the earlier lt1 models (I think it was like 90 or 91 when they switched to the lt1). So yes, comparing a 96 to a 2000 porsche, the difference is a lot less noticeable, but compare it to an even earlier one like in the OP. Otherwise you could make turn the logic around and use the last model year for the gen boxster for comparison.

And I agree with the that a 15K porsche may not be a bargain since the ownership costs is so high. As an extreme example, you could compare 328 ferraris or Lotus Espirits, but not much of a bargain when you pay the dough in ownership costs.
The C4 is a cheap runner since it does share its engine with the camaro/transam, lots of aftermarket support, etc etc, not to mention your local gas station can service it, porsches, eh.
I'm not saying the boxster is espirit bad, not even nearly, but it will cost you, whereas the blue collar approach to the C4 vette, although dated and unrefined, will make it more approachable to the common man, although those tires will KILL you. But I digress.

To go back to my earlier post, I will again mention the Dodge Stealth/Mitsu 3000gt, the twin turbo awd variants of course. Tranny issues aside (lol, wow what an overlook), the car is pretty much rock solid and performs well despite its heaviness. Keep in mind that awd with a high hp engine can be quite fun and effective, think lambos. Got a friend with a 94 TT AWD, sucker puts down some power and can handle well enough that I wouldn't write it off completely. Yes, the tranny gives out but that's cuz you have awd, 3800lbs, and 300+lbs of torque (assuming you keep it stock). With the 94+ not so bad, and lots of places sell beefed up trannies for the car now too. But because everyone wants the FD, MKIV Supra, and Z32, everyone sorta forgot about this car, so the value is quite good considering all the luxuries you get with it too.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:59 AM

FWIW, in '96 they introduced the LT4 variant of the LT motor for all GS and 6-speed models. It was rated at 330 (so it wouldn't overshadow the new LS1), but I recall many dynos showing nearly matching HP for the LT4 v. the LS1.

It was kind of the LT version of the LS6 - just a few typical hotrod tricks (heads, cam, rockers).

'92 was the changeover year from the L98.

While I was confirming the first year for the LT1 I saw this in the article:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The C4's handling characteristics and cornering ability allowed it to dominate SCCA events and races during the 1980s and 1990s. It was undefeated in SCCA Showroom Stock competition from 1985 through 1987, despite Porsche's best efforts.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:13 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by 11Past9,Sep 15 2009, 11:01 AM
Did you know NADA and KBB are still to this day over $10-15,000 off in book value compared to market value? It has been that way for over 7 years now...
Uh. Proof? I've never heard of such a silly statement. That would mean the Boxster valued at $12K By NADA or KBB is actually worth $22K?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Sep 15 2009, 10:13 AM
Uh. Proof? I've never heard of such a silly statement. That would mean the Boxster valued at $12K By NADA or KBB is actually worth $22K?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
UHHHHHH uhhhhhhhhhhh

where did I say anything about a Boxster uhhhhhhhhh

RIIIIIIIGHHHTTTTT uhhhhhhhhhhhh

I was uhhhhhhhhhhhh referring toooo uhhhhhhhhhhh how the NADA and KBB treated the Toyota Supra for years uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

PROOF? UHHHHHHHH

http://www.nadaguides.com/usedcars.aspx?LI...&da=-1&mi=60000

1995 Toyota Supra 6 speed w/60,000 miles on it. NO REMOVABLE roof... meaning ... Hardtop 6 speed Supra TT with 60,000 on it. Considering they only made around 300 Hardtop Turbo Supras from 1993-1998 I'd like for you to go on a quest and find a $20,000 Supra Hardtop 6 speed turbo in this year. WAIT! Try and find a Supra Turbo Targa with this mileage, hell even 100,000 for this kind of price.

UHHHHH next time read ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 09-15-2009, 10:48 AM

My brother in law used to buy C4's all over the place an put kits on them to make them look like C5's (8ish years ago) for resale. Even 8 years ago those cars are the biggest piece of crud I had ever been in. Its AMAZING how much better the C5 Vette really was when it came out. That's when my "hate" on Vettes went away and I respected them again.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 11Past9,Sep 15 2009, 11:42 AM
UHHHHHH uhhhhhhhhhhh

Buddy, you're a moron. This is my last response to you before you go on my ignore list. I'm bringing data to this thread -- data which I can back from firsthand experience since I sold a Boxster just a few months ago, and I've driven both Corvettes and Boxsters both on the street and in sanctioned competition. On the other hand, all you've "contributed" to this thread have been self-righteous proclamations that other people are incorrect, with no corroborating evidence of your own. Seems like you just like to hear yourself e-thug.

Originally Posted by 11Past9,Sep 15 2009, 09:57 AM
And for you Mr. Pedal faster... if you think that a Boxster S is only a half of a second lap time slower than an LS1 Powered C5 FRC you're smoking crack.
Reading comprehension apparently isn't on your r
Old 09-15-2009, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by 11Past9,Sep 15 2009, 12:42 PM
UHHHHHH uhhhhhhhhhhh

I was uhhhhhhhhhhhh referring toooo uhhhhhhhhhhh how the NADA and KBB treated the Toyota Supra for years uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

PROOF? UHHHHHHHH

http://www.nadaguides.com/usedcars.aspx?LI...&da=-1&mi=60000

1995 Toyota Supra 6 speed w/60,000 miles on it. NO REMOVABLE roof... meaning ... Hardtop 6 speed Supra TT with 60,000 on it. Considering they only made around 300 Hardtop Turbo Supras from 1993-1998 I'd like for you to go on a quest and find a $20,000 Supra Hardtop 6 speed turbo in this year. WAIT! Try and find a Supra Turbo Targa with this mileage, hell even 100,000 for this kind of price.

UHHHHH next time read ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
So you're picking one outlier as an example and using that as a basis for a blanket statement about every other price they list for other vehicles. Good one.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Sep 15 2009, 12:55 PM
Returning to intelligent discussion with the people on this thread who don't breathe with their mouth open

Quick Reply: Forgotten Performers