Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Forgotten Performers

Old 09-14-2009, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k>wrx,Sep 14 2009, 12:48 PM
that much power and its 0-60 is amost the same as the S2K pretty lame
little do you know your S2K makes more torque to the wheels multiplied through gearing than the vette does until third. gearing is fun
Old 09-14-2009, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by 11Past9,Sep 14 2009, 05:30 AM

I hope you are kidding about this suggestion. These go for $25-28,000 still... what is under the radar or bargain about this? Nothing... it is also a part of a string of Boxsters that inevitably suffered catastrophic engine failure. If we were even in this price range this car wouldn't even be on the list considering how badly it would get tromped by a C5 ZO6 in any category.

Oh so your only measure of driving pleasure is looking at track times and straight line speed?

Nice.

There are however other people that value different things. People like say, S2000 owners...

Also, you can get one for 20K very easily. You're a total idiot if you buy an 03 Boxster S for 28K. You can get a 2005 Boxster S for that price.

Engine failures are overblown and people who are paranoid about them have either never owned one or are generally ignorant about cars. And to say that all Boxsters will inevitably experience engine failure tells me you're just ignorant.

A C6 base Corvette is also faster around a track than a Ferrari 355. But which do you think is more enjoyable to drive?

The 03 Boxster S has tremendous balance, braking ability, brake pedal FEEL, steering FEEL and response, good acceleration and the sensation of hearing that flat 6 right behind your ears is addictive, especially with the Porsche sports exhaust or a good aftermarket one. And I've driven tons of sports cars.

For 20K or so you get to experience driving pleasures that you would usually have driving exotics or much more expensive cars. I'm not saying the Boxster S is an exotic obviously, but it has some elements that make it feel more special than you average sports coupe.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:39 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacques79,Sep 14 2009, 09:53 PM

Oh so your only measure of driving pleasure is looking at track times and straight line speed?

Nice.

There are however other people that value different things. People like say, S2000 owners...

Also, you can get one for 20K very easily. You're a total idiot if you buy an 03 Boxster S for 28K. You can get a 2005 Boxster S for that price.

Engine failures are overblown and people who are paranoid about them have either never owned one or are generally ignorant about cars. And to say that all Boxsters will inevitably experience engine failure tells me you're just ignorant.

A C6 base Corvette is also faster around a track than a Ferrari 355. But which do you think is more enjoyable to drive?

The 03 Boxster S has tremendous balance, braking ability, brake pedal FEEL, steering FEEL and response, good acceleration and the sensation of hearing that flat 6 right behind your ears is addictive, especially with the Porsche sports exhaust or a good aftermarket one. And I've driven tons of sports cars.

For 20K or so you get to experience driving pleasures that you would usually have driving exotics or much more expensive cars. I'm not saying the Boxster S is an exotic obviously, but it has some elements that make it feel more special than you average sports coupe.
Right... but the corvette in question is about 7000 bucks. Just under 20K isn't a bargain. It's like me saying wow, NA miatas are great cheap skate morsels since you could find good ones for 3000 bucks, then you go pffft, why get that when you could an ap2 for 15000!
The boxter S is hardly a forgotten performer btw.
And most people aren't worried about a catastrophic engine failure, most are worried about a lot of little things that cost a lot to fix going wrong.
I do agree with your feel comments though, although it is subjective, it does add a lot to the overall driving experience.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Sep 14 2009, 06:32 AM
Good comparison test of the C4 Corvette versus its contemporaries: http://www.geocities.com/ma71supraturbo/ar..._93cdsupra.html

Every sentence in your response is incorrect:
  • Boxster S's are well under $20k now -- I just sold my 2003 986S for $18k this summer.
  • I know dozens of people who have owned Boxsters, and not one of them suffered an engine failure, which hardly indicates that failures are "inevitable". You might be thinking of the 911, which is more prone to RMS leakage than the Boxster.
  • The C5 Z06 is a fantastic car. Having said that, resale values are still higher than the Boxster's, it doesn't handle as well, and it's larger and less agile than the Boxster. I'm not saying it's a worse car than the Boxster overall (that comes down to personal preference), but your suggesting that the two are in no ways comparable suggests that you've driven neither.
Exactly, you can find 2000 model Boxter S for 12-15, which is on the high end of what you'd be paying for a '95 Corvette and less than you'd pay for a 2000 Corvette.

The only frequent "catastrophy" with the early Boxters is the rear main seal. It's an expensive fix, but it's not sudden, so unless you just ignore the growing puddle of oil in your garage isn't going to leave you with a blown engine.

And Don, you can really find C4 Vettes for $7,000 very often. I suspect any that you do have something wrong with them. It's much like finding a clean Miata for $3,000 or a clean AP1 for $8,000. Sure, you might get really lucky, but anyone with a brain and a decent car isn't going to sell the car for thousands less than they can easily get for it.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:03 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by brockLT1,Sep 14 2009, 04:21 PM
little do you know your S2K makes more torque to the wheels multiplied through gearing than the vette does until third. gearing is fun
The C4 had 340 ft-lbs of torque. The S2000 has 162 ft-lbs of torque.

I have a hard time believing the S2000 is geared 209% higher than the Vette through the first two gears.

I looked up the data and the C4 has a 1st gear ratio of 2.68 and a second gear ratio of 1.80. It has a final drive ratio of 3.45. So, the C4 first gear total ratio is 9.246 and the second gear total ratio is 6.21, ignoring the primary reduction (I couldn't find it).

The S2000 (AP2 - tightest gearing) has a 1st gear ratio of 3.133 and a 2nd gear ratio of 2.045 with a primary reduction of 1.208 and a final drive of 4.10. Ignoring the primary reduction, the S2000 therefore has a first gear total ratio of 12.85 and a second gear total ratio of 8.38.

So, ignoring primary reduction, the Vette is actually putting 3143 ft-lbs and 2111 ft-lbs to the wheels in first and second gear respectively.

The S2000, ignoring primary reduction, is actually putting 2082 ft-lbs and 1358 ft-lbs to the wheels in first and second gear respectively.

In other words, the S2000 is 50% down on torque in 1st gear and 55% down in second gear without us knowing the primary reduction ratio for the C4 tranny. That must be a heck of a weak primary reduction in the Vette if indeed it is 50% taller than in the S2000.

The actual 1st and 2nd gears themselves are only 17% and 14% shorter in the S2000 than in the Vette. I don't see why the ratio would jump to 50%+ for the primary reduction gear in the Vette.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Sep 14 2009, 11:39 PM
Right... but the corvette in question is about 7000 bucks. Just under 20K isn't a bargain. It's like me saying wow, NA miatas are great cheap skate morsels since you could find good ones for 3000 bucks, then you go pffft, why get that when you could an ap2 for 15000!
Let's go to an independent third party to resolve this -- NADA.

I looked up prices for 1998 Corvettes and 2000 Boxster S's in my area. (Yes, I know that 1998 was the last year of Corvette production, and 2000 was the Boxster S's first, so most used Corvettes will be older, and most used Boxsters will be newer, but the point is to compare cars of comparable age.) Surprisingly, their retail values are within $650 of each other:

http://www.nadaguides.com/usedcars.aspx?LI...da=-1&mi=110000

http://www.nadaguides.com/usedcars.aspx?LI...&da=-1&mi=90000

That suggests that the two are very price comparable on the used market. I know which one I'd buy.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:44 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Sep 15 2009, 06:22 AM
Let's go to an independent third party to resolve this -- NADA.

I looked up prices for 1998 Corvettes and 2000 Boxster S's in my area. (Yes, I know that 1998 was the last year of Corvette production, and 2000 was the Boxster S's first, so most used Corvettes will be older, and most used Boxsters will be newer, but the point is to compare cars of comparable age.) Surprisingly, their retail values are within $650 of each other:

http://www.nadaguides.com/usedcars.aspx?LI...da=-1&mi=110000

http://www.nadaguides.com/usedcars.aspx?LI...&da=-1&mi=90000

That suggests that the two are very price comparable on the used market. I know which one I'd buy.
<scratches head> 97 was the first year of the c5, 98 would be the second year of the c5, making 96 the last year of the c4, so the prices will naturally jump quite a bit.
So if the 2000 boxster s and C4 vette were the same price, I'd take the boxster too, but we're now comparing c5 vs. boxsters... I'd rather taken the vette especially since I've seen mid gen cars going in the mid to low teens.
The point of this thread is that the forgotten C4 can be had for quite a bargain, kinda like stealths and 3000gts. Capable performers whose peers outshined them, but are respectable performers in their own right and with the horrible resale value make great bargains.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:03 AM

That Boxster shit really ruined this thread. Feel this, feedback that, it sounds like you're just a Boxster fanboi. I know other cars that I'd rather have that are true drivers cars with all that "feel" and "feedback" on top of straight line performance and in the twisties as well...

C5 Corvette: Sorry bub, performance wise the Boxster isn't even in the same book. Stock for stock, mod for mod. I don't care if the interior sucks, or if it rattles. Remember about the "feeeeeling"? And it won't cost you $1,000 bucks to fix a sensor that felt like going bad out of no where

E36 M3: When it came out automobile magazine called it the best handling car, at any price. You can find a good one for $8-12,000 now. A REAL good one.

E46 M3: They dropped hard, $16-20,000 can get you a well maintained example

Mr2 Turbo: Mid engine, boost, toyota reliability, cheap... ok

I'm not going to list them all but a Boxster should not be on the list considering how damn expensive it is to fix ANYTHING on it, $12,000 - 15,000 for a 9-12 year old one or not.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by 11Past9,Sep 15 2009, 07:03 AM
That Boxster shit really ruined this thread. Feel this, feedback that, it sounds like you're just a Boxster fanboi. I know other cars that I'd rather have that are true drivers cars with all that "feel" and "feedback" on top of straight line performance and in the twisties as well...

C5 Corvette: Sorry bub, performance wise the Boxster isn't even in the same book. Stock for stock, mod for mod. I don't care if the interior sucks, or if it rattles. Remember about the "feeeeeling"? And it won't cost you $1,000 bucks to fix a sensor that felt like going bad out of no where

E36 M3: When it came out automobile magazine called it the best handling car, at any price. You can find a good one for $8-12,000 now. A REAL good one.

E46 M3: They dropped hard, $16-20,000 can get you a well maintained example

Mr2 Turbo: Mid engine, boost, toyota reliability, cheap... ok

I'm not going to list them all but a Boxster should not be on the list considering how damn expensive it is to fix ANYTHING on it, $12,000 - 15,000 for a 9-12 year old one or not.
Ok so now only cheap American big V8 cars that are inexpensive to fix can be posted?

Yes I am a Boxster S fanboy. I'm also a Mustang Cobra fanboy, an M3 fanboy, a Z3M fanboy, a Z4M fanboy, an S2000 fanboy, an Integra Type R fanboy, a WRX fanboy, a Miata fanboy, etc...

I like all sorts of cars and different types of cars give different types of driving pleasure.

You don't go in a Mustang Cobra looking for S2000-like shifting precision and at the same time you don't floor an S2000 looking for Cobra-like neck snapping acceleration.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Sep 15 2009, 07:44 AM
<scratches head> 97 was the first year of the c5, 98 would be the second year of the c5, making 96 the last year of the c4, so the prices will naturally jump quite a bit.
My mistake -- for some reason I was thinking the C4's last year was '99, not '96. Late model C4s aren't that much cheaper, though -- the difference is roughly four grand:

http://www.nadaguides.com/usedcars.aspx?LI...da=-1&mi=130000

Originally Posted by 11Past9,Sep 15 2009, 08:03 AM
Do you compete in sanctioned competition? Road racing? Autocross? If you don't, what difference does a half second on a timed lap matter? If you do, you should know that the Boxster S is an objectively faster autocross car to all of the cars you listed except for the C5 Corvette, so per your own reasoning, you should buy a Boxster.

Quick Reply: Forgotten Performers