Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ford Taurus

Old 10-04-2009, 06:32 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by UmarS2K,Oct 4 2009, 08:55 PM
The new Taurus is hate it or love it, while the older Tauruses were all "hate it" cars.
That is a great summation.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

I think the original SHO was cooler than the new monstrosity. Less than 3400 lb., 220hp (that was a LOT in 1989!), 5-speed manual.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdizzle,Oct 4 2009, 01:24 PM
I'm not buying it. I have no need for a car that big given my life style but acknowledge it's size with out crying and whining like everyone else here.

Anyway everything you just said in a condescending tone toward Ford is perfectly applicable to Honda. It just happens that we have the Honda hero fanboys on this forum who completely ignore how pathetic Honda's offerings have been in recent times.

I can guarantee you half the people on this site would never own anything in Honda's line up besides their current S2000 or the almighty NSX. Everything else is junk. It's not OK for other manufacturers to produce FWD cars but having one from Honda in your garage is OK because it's not American! Bias FTW!
Well, I'll agree with you to a point. I think Honda has porked up the latest generation Accord to the point that it has totally lost it's focus as a great smaller, fuel efficient, reliable, affordable 4-5 passenger sedan. The new Accord is freakin huge!

Now, as far as Honda's offerings being completely pathetic. Take a look at Honda's sales numbers from early 2008 until mid 2009. These pathetic products were flying off the lot when gas was $4/gallon and the economy was crashing. Honda's sales numbers held up better than almost any other manufacturer. Without "cash for clunkers" incentives from the government and without steep price cuts from Honda. When the chips were down people wanted a Honda. Civics, Fits, CRV's and Elements were in short supply when I bought my S2K in May 2008. The Honda store near my home had tons of foot traffic. The Focus has a bit more to prove before it can claim to compete with a Civic.

Edit: And oh yes, Acura has taken a left turn into the twilight zone of late with the styling of every vehicle in their lineup. Fugly is not too strong a word.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by ZDan,Oct 4 2009, 06:39 PM
I think the original SHO was cooler than the new monstrosity. Less than 3400 lb., 220hp (that was a LOT in 1989!), 5-speed manual.
S'wha? You like a heavy FWD car? Hell musta froze over.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by SpudRacer,Oct 4 2009, 06:39 PM
Well, I'll agree with you to a point. I think Honda has porked up the latest generation Accord to the point that it has totally lost it's focus as a great smaller, fuel efficient, reliable, affordable 4-5 passenger sedan. The new Accord is freakin huge!

Now, as far as Honda's offerings being completely pathetic. Take a look at Honda's sales numbers from early 2008 until mid 2009. These pathetic products were flying off the lot when gas was $4/gallon and the economy was crashing. Honda's sales numbers held up better than almost any other manufacturer. Without "cash for clunkers" incentives from the government and without steep price cuts from Honda. When the chips were down people wanted a Honda. Civics, Fits, CRV's and Elements were in short supply when I bought my S2K in May 2008. The Honda store near my home had tons of foot traffic. The Focus has a bit more to prove before it can claim to compete with a Civic.

Edit: And oh yes, Acura has taken a left turn into the twilight zone of late with the styling of every vehicle in their lineup. Fugly is not too strong a word.
Actually, Honda hasn't done that well.

Year over year #'s for Sep 08 to Sep 09,
http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/pag...autosales.html

Honda -20.1%
Ford -5.8%
Toyota -12.6%
Nissan -7.0%
Hyundai +27.2%
Mazda -12%
Kia +24%
Subaru +.7%
Volvo +16.6%
VW +1.5%
Audi -4.9%
BMW +2.1%
Porsche +8.4%

Total vehicle sale -22.7%

So, Honda did just slightly better than average.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Taurus SHO is the dumbest idea ever. They should've made a Fusion SHO, that way it wouldn't have been the length of an Escalade and it would've actually had a purpose.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:32 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Malloric,Oct 4 2009, 08:06 PM
S'wha? You like a heavy FWD car? Hell musta froze over.
I didn't say I *liked* it, I said I think it's cooler than the new one!

Being fwd it is definitely not for me (neither is fwd-based awd). But it's 1000 lb. (!) lighter-weight than the new one, and has a manual transmission.

Yeah, definitely a cooler car than the new one as far as I'm concerned.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:52 AM

Ok. So I started a new thred on an old topic... my bad. I'm sure more then a few people here watch the bbc top gear, all the hosts on that show seem to love the ford mondeo. So why doesn't ford try it here? I like that new twin turbo v6 that they are producing for the new tore-ass, but I know I won't give it a fair chance. Put that same motor in the much lighter and better looking mondeo and I would be in line for a test drive at the ford dealership. I'm thinking its to little to late from ford and they should realize that what goes up must come down, and the american car company's are on there way down. if I wanted 4 doors. A hot motor and good gas milage I would be looking for a tdi from vw, and I'm sure more people will go that way then they would go to ford... just an opinion and a random collection of thoughts...
Old 10-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I personally don't let any passengers actually ride along in my heavy sedan, because it makes the weight too high.

C'mon, cushy people haulers and the people who buy them... If obesity is >30% of all Americans... if they don't care about lugging 100 extra pounds on their bodies EVERYWHERE, you think a few hundred pounds in their car will matter at all (assuming similar gas mileage)?
Old 10-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some seriously stupid comments in this thread.

#1 Taurus, like it or not, is a big name...a BIG name. It has a huge following, and Ford even recognized their f**k up, by canceling the Ford500 name, and renaming it Taurus.

#2 As someone who HATES american cars, the Sable/Taurus lineup was very successful, and as far as durability (not quality) they were very good. My friend's sable ran until 200K. Granted, it had problems, but it ran. Try that with a modern car. If one computer is unhappy, your car becomes a paperweight.

#3 Weight. For an s2000, yes, weight is bad. For a sedan, weight is great. Lightweight sedans SUCK to drive. Why do you think Phantoms are sooooo comfortable? Because they weigh as much as the Titanic. Heavy cars are much more of a pleasure to drive day to day. They are quiet, great on the highway, and are just plain more comfortable.

Not all cars are built to take corners and burn off at the lights.

Quick Reply: Ford Taurus