Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ford GT and Lambo Gillardo effect Ferrari (360) in what way?

Old 03-01-2004, 08:07 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well we haven't had a good Ford GT thread in a while.

Ford plans to sell 1500/year for 3 years = 4500 cars. Maybe they can make more if they sell like crazy.

Lambo Gallardo can probably sell 2000/year

90% of Ford GTs will stay here in the US, that just happens to be the largest market for Ferrari.

Ferrari sells it's cars at or above $150K. And it most/all Ferrari will loose in most race situations to the Ford GT. (except the Enzo (already sold out) and maybe the 360CS).

So how will this effect Ferrari?

I know the true Ferrari core will care less what Ford or Lambo are offering. But people in the middle who can buy from anyone may be tempted by the Ford or the Lambo.

Will Ferrari see sales errosion or is there enough of a waiting list for the 360 not to matter? Do you think Ferrari can get into a horsepower war with Ford without the 360 replacement stepping on the toes of it's big brother the 575M (or its replacement)?
Old 03-01-2004, 08:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

eh, it doesn't really matter to ferrari.

waiting list for 360 is still long, long ahead...
plus "upgraded" 360 or whatever is going to come out.

a lot, A LOT more people still want ferrari just because it's ferrari...
everyone's dream car, right?
Old 03-01-2004, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The effect on Ferrari's sales will be non-existent. Cars like the Enzo, GT40 and others get bought up so fast by the high-rollers...they keep them for a few months, have their fun with them and then pass them on. F40s and F50s change hands so often.

Plus, the people with money to buy a car worth $250-700k could run out right now and buy a 360 Modena (the proverbial "Corolla" of its class) for each of their mansion staff. The Gallardo may change this, and certainly has potential to.

I don't think Ferrari's sales will fall at all, partly because of limited numbers from the competition, but also because when it comes down to it, Ferrari still has a brand recognition beyond any manufacturer, domestic or exotic, on this planet. Ferrari probably figures Ford be damned...no one manufacturer has dominated Le Mans incessantly like Ferrari has dominated F1, and Ferrari cares more about F1 than anything.

BTW, I just saw a 575 the other day...looks way better in real life than in print IMO. The 550/575M is getting outdated now, and will likely be replaced in the next three years. The replacement will have to make over 600hp they way things are going...
Old 03-01-2004, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ferrari doesnt care about Ford, but it certainly cares about Lambo.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:52 AM

The Ford GT is already sold out.

As for the next Modena, expect at least 450hp, hopefully more. It'll be at least a 4.0l engine, maybe closer to 4.5l.

Lambo and Porsche are Ferrari's biggest competitors. With the Gallardo and next gen Porsche Turbo laying waste to a Modena in a straight line, expect a good power hike.

I personally would like to see Ferrari work harder over long term reliability.

Anyways, we should be seeing the replacement to the Modena sometime soon . . .
Old 03-01-2004, 10:54 AM

Oh yeah, forgot to add, next gen Murcielago is going to make 750hp to distance itself from the Gallardo, so expect the upper level Ferrari's to get power hikes too. Probably over 600 soon.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:56 AM

Man, the horsepower race is just fanatic lately. Nissan and Pontiac sparked it in the domestic car market, and the Viper probably sparked a little movement in sports cars when it came out.

But gees, sooner than later, I'll be able to go down to the Hyundai dealership and order up a 340hp Tiburon.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:12 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

How can the Ford GT already be sold out? They haven't sold any yet. Are you talking about waiting lists that's not the same as sold out.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:36 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't know enough about the thought processes Ferrari owners and wait-listers go through, but I do know that I would take a GT or Gallardo over the 360.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:46 PM

Most of their thought processes are probably "oh look, the latest status symbol. I must buy this." This is after they bought a 360 Modena a long time ago.

These people surely have multiple cars, and see them as art to collect. I of course have never owned or sold a Ferrari privately, so I'm not sure how hard they are to sell, but my guess is it takes a while. But if I could only own one exotic at a time, and always wanted the new hot thing, I'd never have anything, because there's a constant flow of new stuff. I think they are all just plunking down for what they want. And, since the GT and Gallardo are very limited, everyone else will just have to go bark up another tree.

Plus, for a lot of people, the better performance of another "better" car doesn't matter. They go for what they want. Why, for example, does Jay Leno has a deep interest in old steam engine vehicles, or Seinfeld for older Porsches?

Quick Reply: Ford GT and Lambo Gillardo effect Ferrari (360) in what way?