Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ford Focus SVT

Old 01-26-2005, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Focus SVT

While my 98 Chevy Cavalier Z24 beater is running fine at 110K miles, I can
Old 01-26-2005, 05:44 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Asking the the consensus on these cars here will get you the obvious answers from people who have never driven them. It's a Ford, it's a Focus, it's a POS! IMO the truth is that the car doesn't get nearly the respect it deserves and I put my money where my mouth is.

A little less than a year ago I bought a leftover new 03 SVT Euro Focus with every option. I've had the computer reflashed and the power steering pump replaced. The car has HID's, moonroof, heated leather Recaro's, tilt & tele steering, 290w 6disc CD, etc. The handling, again IMO, is better than the Civic Si, Sentra Spec V, SRT 4, tC, and the power is as good as all but the SRT4. The handling and fun to drive factor does not come up to the Cooper S IMO although some mag reviews rated it better.

The clutches are somewhat weak and the tires don't last long. In 19,036 miles I've had 5 tanks of gas that dropped below 24 mpg and two of them were 23.9 mpg. 26 to 28 is the norm and highway driving at 80mph has seen over 30 mpg.

I do wish it didn't take premium fuel and I would have rather had a Cooper S for my beater. The 02's were the first year and seemed to have more problems than the 03's and 04's.

If you want more info PM me your phone # and tell me a good time to call you and I will.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:25 AM

That's great info, thanks.

I suppose I'll be looking for a '03 or '04.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:19 AM

My friends SVT has had numerous problems, two clutches needed to be replaced, several electrical glitches, brakes having problems, to me if you want a car with the great potention of going to sh$t then this is the car for you, remember it's a ford some are good, but most are bad.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:28 AM

I've had an '02 Focus SVT for over 2 years now and it's bangin'. Great car and no probs, even tracked it. Put some Toyo TS1s on it and it has incredible grip in the twisties.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:42 AM

All I've ever heard about the SVT Focus was: great handler/fun car, repair shop queen.

I'd like to try one myself anyhow.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:44 AM

i really wanted one since it's in the wrc.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:56 AM

Hey. Just wanted to send you a link to a great focus site. My daily driver is an 03' SVT Focus. All options except Euro. I love it. www.focaljet.com is the best focus website/resource out there.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:51 AM

I used to own a Contour SVT. I was a great car. Wonderful motor, despite 40 less HP the motor had more low end grunt than the S2k (no shock there). The interior finish was only OK but the comfort was great. I still miss the sound of the motor.
My impression of the FSVT was lighter feeling, better steering, sufficient but not great motor, exhaust was a bit ricey (hey I had one of the best sound V6s at the time). Car gave me no trouble from new to 55,000 miles.
Like the CSVT I think some of the problems with the Focus SVT had to do with abuse rather than honest problems. The Contour and the regular Focus used the same 5spd manual. It really was just strong enough to handle the Contour and wasn't over built. Treat it like you car about the car and it will last a long time. Treat it like an unloved step child and it will fail. That's why I never dropped the clutch in that car (or my Honda) or did burnouts. If you treated the car like a race car it would be temperamental like a race car.
For what it's worth Consumer Reports put the Focus on their recommended list.
I have heard insurance can be high. Personally I would rather have a low mileage Contour SVT... if I could find such a car.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by esracer,Jan 26 2005, 11:19 AM
My friends SVT has had numerous problems, two clutches needed to be replaced, several electrical glitches, brakes having problems, to me if you want a car with the great potention of going to sh$t then this is the car for you, remember it's a ford some are good, but most are bad.
With all due respect, multiple clutch replacements and brake problems sounds more like hacker driving than bad build quality.

Quick Reply: Ford Focus SVT