Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ford confirms 1.0L EcoBoost three-cylinder

Old 06-13-2011, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean Diesel technology--like what BMW runs in their diesel vehicles--is much nicer on the environment than what you're talking about. Diesel is changing.
Some people will just never believe that Diesel is good or clean. I think that the biggest reason is that people have always hated to smell that they produce. The fact that people don't notice many of the new clean diesels being clean, is that they don't realize that they are diesel... Which means that they are doing their job perfectly.

I hate the smell of diesel more than anyone, and have not found a diesel yet that I enjoyed driving, but for normal people who don't define a car by how fun it is to drive, they are perfect.

Not if you want to have a conversation about "green" technology that is not all the green, lets talk about hybrids...
Old 06-13-2011, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luder_5555
Clean Diesel technology--like what BMW runs in their diesel vehicles--is much nicer on the environment than what you're talking about. Diesel is changing.
Some people will just never believe that Diesel is good or clean. I think that the biggest reason is that people have always hated to smell that they produce. The fact that people don't notice many of the new clean diesels being clean, is that they don't realize that they are diesel... Which means that they are doing their job perfectly.

I hate the smell of diesel more than anyone, and have not found a diesel yet that I enjoyed driving, but for normal people who don't define a car by how fun it is to drive, they are perfect.

Not if you want to have a conversation about "green" technology that is not all the green, lets talk about hybrids...
Exactly... though I'll say this about fun to drive... do drive a 335d if you haven't already. That sucker has a lot of torque.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by luder_5555

Ok, let's talk about them
Old 06-13-2011, 10:50 PM

^ ok. Batteries, and very similar fuel efficiency when compared to diesel.

Though I think that if we want to have a discussion about alternate fuel, and engine designs, we should start our own thread.

I am still mildly excited about ford expanding their ecoboost lineup. Gotta get my Ford stock back up to where it was in January.

They are certainly on the right path to what is popular right now. Small hatchbacks that have good room inside, good interiors, fun to drive, and get good MPG. Plus the 5.0's are really helping there image with enthusiasts. The only segment that they are really lacking is in the supercar market. The closest thing that they have is a pumped up gt500, which while it would be silly fun to drive, I wouldn't call a supercar. They need a z06 competitor...
Old 06-14-2011, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by luder_5555' timestamp='1307851218' post='20673583
This will play a part in driveability and will probably push Ford to employ a fairly small, fast-spooling turbo to overcome this type of issue.
Were we expecting a large turbo?

Also, when the F*** are we going to get European style turbo diesels that get 70+ mpg? I really don't get why Diesel is not more popular here? Heck it's even dominating in racing these days... Can we finally accept that it is better at everything except small sports cars?

This coming from someone who will NEVER own a diesel anything other than perhaps a truck.
Diesel sucks as a personal car fuel. The exhaust stains building and trashes your lungs. It's dirty, bottom line. It's not just about mileage, it's about the foul crap that comes out of the tail pipe. "Clean burning" my ass. More like "expensive particulate filters on new cars, which are hacked off old cars so they foul the air horribly." Gas engines with catalytic converters spew out fairy dust, by comparison.

If you've ever been overseas to a place where diesel is common as a passenger car fuel you can't have missed the smell in the air nor the yellow color of "white" buildings. The last thing a country that wants clean air will endorse is diesel passenger cars. Diesel isn't so bad at a constant throttle, but during acceleration and deceleration, diesel spews nasty omissions. That's why Switzerland is so opposed to truck traffic through its territory.

Diesel's crap as a personal transportation fuel. I'd ban it for cars entirely if it were up to me. Anyone who buys a diesel car thinking they are doing the environment a favor deserves a hard kick to the head.
The new clean diesels are Federal Tier 2/ Bin 5 (average) and CA LEV II (BMW) or ULEV II(VW, Mercedes). Go ahead and remove the fancy emission control system. You'll get exactly the same result you would if you removed the fancy emission control system on a gasoline powered car. You'll fail the next emissions test. This is a car enthusiast forum. We're all perfectly aware that people hack out catalytic converters and replace them with straight pipes. In fact, I bet that will happen to a larger percentage of 335i models than 335d models.

Could you get cleaner? Sure. There are a few conventional gasoline cars that are Bin 4 and a few more that are CA SULEV. Most hybrids are Bin 3. The Civic hybrid and GX are Bin 2. Hybrids are clearly the way to go as far as air pollution. Anyone who buys anything else and cares about air quality deserves a hard kick in the head. That, or they just don't care enough to drive a car that sucks. The diesel variant of the Jetta/Golf is no rocket ship but its no Prius either.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:40 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Malloric
Originally Posted by NuncoStr8' timestamp='1307857337' post='20673721
[quote name='luder_5555' timestamp='1307851218' post='20673583']
This will play a part in driveability and will probably push Ford to employ a fairly small, fast-spooling turbo to overcome this type of issue.
Were we expecting a large turbo?

Also, when the F*** are we going to get European style turbo diesels that get 70+ mpg? I really don't get why Diesel is not more popular here? Heck it's even dominating in racing these days... Can we finally accept that it is better at everything except small sports cars?

This coming from someone who will NEVER own a diesel anything other than perhaps a truck.
Diesel sucks as a personal car fuel. The exhaust stains building and trashes your lungs. It's dirty, bottom line. It's not just about mileage, it's about the foul crap that comes out of the tail pipe. "Clean burning" my ass. More like "expensive particulate filters on new cars, which are hacked off old cars so they foul the air horribly." Gas engines with catalytic converters spew out fairy dust, by comparison.

If you've ever been overseas to a place where diesel is common as a passenger car fuel you can't have missed the smell in the air nor the yellow color of "white" buildings. The last thing a country that wants clean air will endorse is diesel passenger cars. Diesel isn't so bad at a constant throttle, but during acceleration and deceleration, diesel spews nasty omissions. That's why Switzerland is so opposed to truck traffic through its territory.

Diesel's crap as a personal transportation fuel. I'd ban it for cars entirely if it were up to me. Anyone who buys a diesel car thinking they are doing the environment a favor deserves a hard kick to the head.
The new clean diesels are Federal Tier 2/ Bin 5 (average) and CA LEV II (BMW) or ULEV II(VW, Mercedes). Go ahead and remove the fancy emission control system. You'll get exactly the same result you would if you removed the fancy emission control system on a gasoline powered car. You'll fail the next emissions test. This is a car enthusiast forum. We're all perfectly aware that people hack out catalytic converters and replace them with straight pipes. In fact, I bet that will happen to a larger percentage of 335i models than 335d models.

Could you get cleaner? Sure. There are a few conventional gasoline cars that are Bin 4 and a few more that are CA SULEV. Most hybrids are Bin 3. The Civic hybrid and GX are Bin 2. Hybrids are clearly the way to go as far as air pollution. Anyone who buys anything else and cares about air quality deserves a hard kick in the head. That, or they just don't care enough to drive a car that sucks. The diesel variant of the Jetta/Golf is no rocket ship but its no Prius either.
[/quote]

If you say that hybrids are better than I guess you're a fan of all the strip mining that has to take place to produce the batteries?
Old 06-17-2011, 06:56 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Somewhat off topic, but whenever I smell diesel fumes I get indigestion.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:05 AM

If you say that hybrids are better than I guess you're a fan of all the strip mining that has to take place to produce the batteries?
Your supposed to ignore that part. The only part that matters is the end result. Why do you think that all of the environmentalists drive a prius? It couldn't possibly be because they are ignorant.

Note that was not a shot at Wolfpack. His claim was about air pollution from the car itself. Which he is right. the air pollution from the car is less. So operation of the vehicle is green. It's just the manufacturing and the disposal of the vehicle that are less than ideal...
Old 06-17-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Diesel sucks as a personal car fuel. It's dirty, bottom line.
I happen to agree with you, but for a different reason, I'm not saying it's not dirty, I'm just saying I have a different issue
I live in what I call ruralburbia, think rural and add lots of signal light and you get the idea
I drive a lot in what I call extreme rural, that one is obvious
The thing about diesel trucks is they have huge, enormous fuel tanks
The thing about cars is they have small gas tanks
If I were to drive a diesel car I can see how I would run out of fuel often, because I just could not find a gas station that offered diesel
That would make a diesel car for me about as worthless as an electrical one
Old 06-17-2011, 06:01 PM

My TDI gets over 600 miles on a tank with the driving I do. I never have any issues finding diesel and its a pretty quiet running car. The torque for a small car is great and more than serves my purpose as a DD.

Quick Reply: Ford confirms 1.0L EcoBoost three-cylinder