Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Fit Vs C6

Old 05-13-2008, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 pages..wow
Old 05-13-2008, 04:42 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by benny,May 13 2008, 04:13 PM
Narrow shmarrow! You can't get away with posting this.

Narrow on any car is a disadvantage for handling. Period. I con't care if you are racing, daily commuting or off roading. The only advantage to narrow is narrow and the only time narrow is an advantage is when you need to fit somewhere tight.
And even then, you're confusing narrow with "girth!"

A wide track allows a lower centre of gravity on any vehicle. The lower the center of gravity, the wider the track, the more stable a vehicle is in a turn. A wide high banked turn or a tight turn. Hmmm....using your logic a go kart would be shaped like a skatboard.... Salt Flat land speed record holders would be slalom kings... Motorcyclye racers would be sitting straight up in the turns and tucking in their knees!!!!

How wide a car is, also has negligable bearing on how straight a line it can take through a series of turns. I could only see this ever being advantageous on a course where the turns were so tight the apex's(sp? api? lol) would line up straight... Actually something I have experienced in short distances behind the wheel of an open wheel Toyota. And even then that would only be advantageous were the track only the width of the car...and then...what would be the point of the turns? lol

The biggest reason why a vehicle such as the Fit does as well as it does in a slalom is simple. Good tires, good balance, a well engineered steering and suspension system and "TA DA! WEIGHT." Weight in a vehicle as narrow as the Fit is a killer. you don't believe me, throw 4 adults into the car and drive it around a track. Not only will it lean like the tower of Pisa, there is a very good chance you will rub the skinny ass tires completely off the rims.

Somebody get a hold of that Fit owner and make yourself a couple of grand! And bitch slap the doc while your're at it!
Narrowness is not a disadvantage if you have narrow "gates" and have to quickly shift from one to another. The narrower the car, the easier it is to slip through those gates (such as are in a slalom). Obviously, there is a point where the car gets unstable but the Fit has no such problem (particularly with just one person in the car)

A wide car is great when you have lots of room but in a narrow course, that extra stability and grip is sorely pressed because you have to shift the weight so extremely to make it through the slalom.

In overall handling, yes, the wider car is pretty much always better (all other things equal). However, when you have a taller, narrower car that handles well vs a shorter, wider car that handles even better...the wider car isn't always the quickest in a given circumstance.

That's why the Fit can slalom (in at least one case) faster than a Z06. Doesn't mean it handles better, only that in that case, it slalomed better. It has to make far less extreme turns to fit through the cones.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:00 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Fit - 6th highest lateral grip ever tested by SCC.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/080...cing/index.html

(Granted, it's a Spoon race car... )
Old 05-13-2008, 06:10 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Well, since I can get either in metallic orange, I'm happy.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:51 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,May 12 2008, 11:32 PM
Not true -- driver differences overwhelm even the huge differences between cars. Anyone who's been to a few track days or autocrosses has seen Corvettes, 911s, and other fast cars humbled by fast drivers in econoboxes.
Oh for the love of God man, was that not an obviously humorous post? My grandmother's not on oxygen and the Stig would never drive a Fit.

And for those who say the fit is quick through the slalom because of it's short wheelbase... you're about 20% correct. It has much much more to do with the fact that it's incredibly narrow. The narrower a car is, the less lateral movement it has to make to clear the cones. And even with the added width, the vette is quicker through the slalom.

So I have to ask again.... what the hell is wrong with you people? The Fit doesn't compete with the vette on at anything other than maybe fuel mileage and resale value percentage.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:45 AM

I'm amazed that people even try to compare the two cars performance. So much pride and ego and this apply not only to Honda enthusiasts. It just pathetic!
Old 05-14-2008, 04:49 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

This must be what it's like in the Street Encouter's forum.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:04 AM

The Fit's mpg isn't that far off from the Corvette. It gets worst gas millage than the bigger more powerful Civc.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:07 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Fit Sport (since it IS a sports car, now right. )
http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/specifica....aspx?group=epa
27 City, 33 Highway, 29 Combined

2008 Corvette Coupe (LS3)
http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette/specifications/
16 City, 26 Highway

Plus, the Corvette calls for Premium Fuel, and the Fit calls for regular unleaded.

There IS a pretty significant differnce there.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flite,May 13 2008, 10:51 PM
So I have to ask again.... what the hell is wrong with you people? The Fit doesn't compete with the vette on at anything other than maybe fuel mileage and resale value percentage.
and this thread is completely worthless. rofl

Quick Reply: Fit Vs C6