Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

first cycle: Buell Blast?

Old 01-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first cycle: Buell Blast?

I am looking at getting a used Buell Blast for a pretty good deal. My question is, is this a decent first motorcycle? It is light, but not real powerful, with a relatively small engine. This would be a city bike, for commuting and just getting around when I didn't need/want my car. It would need to make the occasional 120 mile trip to the country. I'm 6', 200lbs., and wonder if the Blast is going to be enough to push me around. I have a few months to make a decision, and other than sitting on a bike for a few minutes, a road test isn't going to happen here for a while, so opinions from people who've ridden one would be helpful, before bothering a seller.

I have ridden a few other motorcycles, just here and there for fun, but none have been sport bikes, and they seemed not what I was looking for. I ride a 20" BMX bike all over the city currently, and like the nimbleness and being able to toss the bike around under me, and don't really relish the idea of the street bikes and cruisers I have ridden.

I have looked at SV650s and other ~600cc bikes, including an older Aprilia Pegaso and the smaller Ducati Monsters. I want something not real common, that I can improve on, not necessarily something blistering fast. Since there is a road course just down the road from my parents' place in the country where some co-workers flog theirs, it would be good to have something that would be fun at a track, as well.

My good friends with bikes all have different opinions on starter bikes, but none have had anything but Japanese road bikes and don't live in the city, so I need opinions from people I don't know I am definitely getting a used bike, not new, and fully expect a few scrapes and bruises, and maybe a few on me, as well , so leathers and a helmet are definitely in the budget, as is a local safety course.

Opinions/suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being a Buell fan. For the long run and what you are describing, a Buell Lightning or Firebold would be perfect for you. These bikes are very nimble, I'd say more so then some of the 1000cc Crotch Rockets. I'm 20 years old and all other people my age sweet the hell out of street bikes that run 10's and go 180. I'm always been a fan of this thing called FUN. That's why I drive an S2000 and if I got a bike it would be a Buell Lightning. They are tons of fun on the road and track. A sorely overlooked bike in my opinion and not to mention HD resale value and reliability.

My good friends bike which I have rode.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

From a 20 year sportbike veteran, "Do it". Sounds cheap enough, when you drop it, and you will, it won't hurt (wallet) so much. If and when you outgrow it or just tire of it, no great loss either. Sell and break even. Be safe. If it was me, I'd buy a Honda.

An SV650 is another EXCELLENT choice, even better IMO than the Buell.

And I'm not so sure the HD resale value carries over to the Buell line. Calling an HD reliable is a stretch, even an '04.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by freq,Jan 20 2005, 07:22 PM
From a 20 year sportbike veteran, "Do it". Sounds cheap enough, when you drop it, and you will, it won't hurt (wallet) so much. If and when you outgrow it or just tire of it, no great loss either. Sell and break even. Be safe. If it was me, I'd buy a Honda.

An SV650 is another EXCELLENT choice, even better IMO than the Buell.

And I'm not so sure the HD resale value carries over to the Buell line. Calling an HD reliable is a stretch, even an '04.
[QUOTE]

i droped my first bike twice. there are two kinds of riders those who have gone down, and those who haven't but will. this 20 year sportbike veteran just gave you some great advice.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:47 PM

If I were you I would go with an xb9 or xb12 Firebolt, probably xb9 for a beginner. Just don't twist the throttle beyond your skill and you will be fine. You will tire of the 1 cylinder Blast pretty quickly and want somthing more. I have seen it done numerous times. The sound of the xb9 and xb12 is great.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:51 PM

Well, my opinion is your first bike should be used. It won't be your last bike and this way you take no real financial hit when you sell it later.

My next opinion is you want a bike you won't outgrow as fast as you'll outgrow the Blast. I would MUCH more highly recommend the SV650, or even the EX500 or 599, ahead of the Blast for just that reason. If you've got to have a single then maybe the BMW 650CS?
Old 01-21-2005, 06:13 PM
Banned

doesn't have to have a single, just looking for a light, nimble, cheap, used bike for learning on. A sport bike, not a race bike or cruiser/street bike. Seems like Buell and Ducati are the finalists, based on design, engine, and the fact that not everyone and their buddy has one, and I like their looks and reputation as much as any.

Do you mean the BMW 650GS? I like it, but all the ones I see currently for sale are asking a bit much for a bike I'll probably crash at least once, IMHO.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by no_really,Jan 21 2005, 10:13 PM
and the fact that not everyone and their buddy has one
This is one of the things I also look for when I get a bike/car. One of the reasons I chose the S2k. That would be my two choices if I were getting a Sport bike also. Ducati or Buell was my choices back when I was buying my bike last month. Personally I would prob. choose the Buell over the Ducati for your first bike, as I have heard more than one say they give problems, and maintence is kinda pricy.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:27 AM
jah

i would not pay money for either the Buell or a Ducati, no matter tho.

i have drppped mine many times and managed its repair

also look at something ktm motard? more crash resistant, very lite, fast.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:55 AM

No, not the GS. I meant the CS (city sport). It is designed as an on-road commuter vehicle and has some innovative details to that end. But since you mention a fancy for a Duc, how about the Monster 620ie (or whatever the base Monster is these days)? That is a fine beginner bike. I wouldn't normally suggest a Duc because of the financial aspect (combined with highly variable maintenance cost).

I love the Buell concept. Made-in-America sporting bike for the road, not the track. They used to have fit-and-finish issues but it they got better. Now the issue is, despite their high-tech trickery something is "not quite right" in the handling department when stacked up against, say, a FZ1. But motorcycling is a visceral sport so listen to your gut at least as much as your head.

I dropped on-road bikes exactly twice in 25 years of riding, both around 5 MPH. Once in the first U-turn I ever made and once on wet leaves on the driveway. If you dropped yours "many times" perhaps motorcycling is not the right sport for you? If you plan on crashing you might as well buy a fur-covered bike now.

Quick Reply: first cycle: Buell Blast?