Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

first car to help eventually drive s2000?

Old 03-05-2015, 09:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

350z is an alternative. Light, rwd, 2 seater, manual. Surely one will fit in your budget. It's always been a competitor to the s2000 due to the aformentioned characteristics and similar power.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by suprmonky73
350z is an alternative. Light, rwd, 2 seater, manual. Surely one will fit in your budget. It's always been a competitor to the s2000 due to the aformentioned characteristics and similar power.
First time I heard of the 350z as being "light".

How about a Mustang? They are cheap to learn with.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by suprmonky73
1. The 350z is not light and doesn't feel light either.

2. It is not a true s2000 competitor, as its so easy to drive you can do it blindfolded. Will not break someone in for an S...
Old 03-06-2015, 07:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PixelJunkie94
The Miata comments are silly to me. Do you really think insurance will be MUCH cheaper for a manual, convertible, rear wheel drive Miata?? I'm doubting it.
You're joking right? Call your insurance company and find out just how much cheaper we are talking about. My 99 10AE costs $350 every six months for full coverage with collision that I likely don't even need on a car this age. My former S2000 used to run me $750+ every six months and I haven't had a single ticket in the last ten years.

The S2000 is notorious for being one of the most expensive RWD cars to insure for the very reason we are discussing in this thread. Too many kids wanting to go straight from driving Civics in to a RWD car and not being able to handle the transition thus wrecking them. Not to mention that the S2000 seats alone are $2000+. You apparently have no idea what you're talking about hence the "I'm doubting it" line. Don't doubt it. Go prove it to yourself. The S2000 is ridiculously expensive to insure.

Do you even own an S2000?
Old 03-06-2015, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
Originally Posted by PixelJunkie94' timestamp='1425493069' post='23527467

I will never completely understand why the S2000 is considered a poor choice for a first time driver. My personal opinion is that the community(s) want to fantasize about the S2000 being so hard core and race oriented that only highly skilled drivers are able to operate it therefore they are highly skilled and feel "exclusive." Haha, sorry for the rant.
It's not that we think our cars are "hard core", but we know that they can be a handful when driven at their edge (of which, many don't find said edge until it's too late). The car is unforgiving of careless driving.

Originally Posted by honda606
Miata all day long.

The only people that dog them are those that have never driven one and/or have a small penis.
Agreed
It is especially unforgiving of those who decide to deal with a little bit of rear end unsettling by abruptly lifting off the throttle and hitting the brakes. Alas, that is the first instinct of most drivers who haven't experienced oversteer. Learning to not make sudden changes when the car gets twitchy and steer into the slide can do wonders.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:35 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

If the OP does decide on an S2000, make sure you have a budget for tires and high quality tires. This car, the little things transmit into major sensations and if you tires aren't up to snuff, the alignment is off... you're asking for trouble. There's no ESP systems to help you out. Loose grip and that's all she wrote between your skills and fate. When money is tight and you know rears are like $600, you may stretch them out further and that is not a good idea at all... Just be prepared financially.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by honda606
Originally Posted by PixelJunkie94' timestamp='1425505075' post='23527739
The Miata comments are silly to me. Do you really think insurance will be MUCH cheaper for a manual, convertible, rear wheel drive Miata?? I'm doubting it.
You're joking right? Call your insurance company and find out just how much cheaper we are talking about. My 99 10AE costs $350 every six months for full coverage with collision that I likely don't even need on a car this age. My former S2000 used to run me $750+ every six months and I haven't had a single ticket in the last ten years.

The S2000 is notorious for being one of the most expensive RWD cars to insure for the very reason we are discussing in this thread. Too many kids wanting to go straight from driving Civics in to a RWD car and not being able to handle the transition thus wrecking them. Not to mention that the S2000 seats alone are $2000+. You apparently have no idea what you're talking about hence the "I'm doubting it" line. Don't doubt it. Go prove it to yourself. The S2000 is ridiculously expensive to insure.

Do you even own an S2000?
You think your experience ("evidence") is conclusive in saying that the S2K insurance is always much higher than a Miata? SO many variables to consider. Food for thought for you, you anecdotal queen. I pay 420 dollars every 6 months for full coverage and a 500 dollar deductible and I'm 19 years old. People that claim insurance is outrageous on S2K's have NOT done all the research necessary to find great deals (I admit it is high, as it should be) and probably haven't thoroughly researched other sport car insurance costs for relative pricing which matters here. S2k insurance is high, but to claim with such dogmatic evidence, that s2k's are MUCH (your example was nearly twice as much, which is a bit "perfect" for your ignorant bashing) higher than a sporty rear wheel drive convertible of EQUAL value (who knows all your variables involved with your conclusion) is absurd. That being said, I stated that I "doubt" (I acknowledge being corrected with the viewing of somewhat fairly scientific data, none of which is offered here)that it is that MUCH more. I also just looked up some insurance pricing online using state farm (this proves nothing) and the premiums were actually pretty close. S2K being higher, not MUCH higher (subjective but being 120 more every 6 months can't be reason to shoo someone away from a car). To the OP, miata is a great car, but don't waste your time and energy with the buying and selling process and get what you want (and seem to be able to afford). Good luck with your purchase, let us know .
Old 03-07-2015, 09:59 AM

He called you a queen. Hah.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:41 AM

My Mazdaspeed Miata is less than half what my S costs to insure; I pay 48 per month for full coverage on the S, no deductible, and 19/mo for my MSM, same coverage. There's some evidence for you. It happens more often than not...
Old 03-07-2015, 10:41 AM

My Mazdaspeed Miata is less than half what my S costs to insure; I pay 48 per month for full coverage on the S, no deductible, and 19/mo for my MSM, same coverage. There's some evidence for you. It happens more often than not...

Quick Reply: first car to help eventually drive s2000?