Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

first car to help eventually drive s2000?

Old 03-04-2015, 09:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Miata all day long.

The only people that dog them are those that have never driven one and/or have a small penis.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:10 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Don't buy a starter car, go right for the S2000. You can take a class from a driving school on how to drive a manual, and it will be "proper" instruction. My girlfriend is taking them this spring so she can drive my Lotus when need be. $150-300 will more than enough instruction; on their car.

S2000 is an easy car to shift, doesn't get any easier. In your situation, there's just not enough money buy one car, register it, insure it, sell/trade it and do it again on the S2000; does not make sense. Golden rule to cars is buying the right car the first time.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PixelJunkie94
I will never completely understand why the S2000 is considered a poor choice for a first time driver. My personal opinion is that the community(s) want to fantasize about the S2000 being so hard core and race oriented that only highly skilled drivers are able to operate it therefore they are highly skilled and feel "exclusive." Haha, sorry for the rant.
It's not that we think our cars are "hard core", but we know that they can be a handful when driven at their edge (of which, many don't find said edge until it's too late). The car is unforgiving of careless driving.

Originally Posted by honda606
Miata all day long.

The only people that dog them are those that have never driven one and/or have a small penis.
Agreed
Old 03-04-2015, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Miata. Had one and loved it. On my 2nd S2k now.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by honda606
Miata all day long.

The only people that dog people with small penises are typically gay men that are size queens.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:54 AM

Received 431 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by PixelJunkie94
[ I will never completely understand why the S2000 is considered a poor choice for a first time driver.

It is not that the car is bad, it is that the driver might be. The younger the driver, the more likely that they will do something either really stupid, or inexperienced behind the wheel. I totalled a car when I was sixteen by doing the former.

I had the same desire as the OP for an MR2 turbo in my youth, and found one when I got out of college that served me well for many years before I sold it. The MR2 community in general laments the fact that many of these wonderful cars were destroyed in the hands of young inexperienced drivers due to the cars knack for snap oversteer at the limit.

Since the S2000 has been known for the suspension changes Honda made and the C&D quote: "Because certain owners had discovered inappropriate vehicle rotation at the point of disappearing talent, Honda set about revising the chassis for better at-the-limit stability and more progressive breakaway characteristics," older cheaper models that younger drivers can afford are perhaps not the best choice for a new driver. Rain and old tires have caused many "I smashed my S" threads here.

I am sure I will get the d-bag response of "it his car he can get what he wants!" or something of that nature. But some uf us remember what it was to be young and stupid and just pass on a little advice when asked. Getting one does not mean this will happen to him, but most of us remember escaping what could have been a horrible accident when youth told us to do something really dumb behind the wheel. Others can also remember being ejected out of a sunroof onto the pavement when we did something stupid.

The Miata has less power to allow for getting into trouble, and a rear wheel drive car would be a good trainer, even thoughthe Miata is more of a death trap. An old, cheap NA BMW 3 series would also be a good choice. Parts are expensive, but the older less complex ones have pretty solid longevity and good crash ratings.

To the OP, you don't say where you live and if it is not a snowy climate, Miatas and S2000s might be fine. But if you live where there is snow and can only afford to have one car, there are probably better choices in a sporty rear driver while you get a feel for it.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree for the most part ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. However, I think most young people wreck ALL of their first cars. I'm not sure if the model of the vehicle is to blame here. With that said, if a young person truly gets the car of their dreams perhaps they will have more respect for it. Sounds silly but there is little data scientifically on stuff like this so I go with my VERY anecdotal experiences. Which are limited and I am also young at 19 (bias). I still suggest, while you're young and healthy and given you're a mature driver, get what you want. You will have so much fun with the girls etc, enjoy it man! You only live once, just don't ruin it all with v-tec on a wet poorly cambered road (hehe). The Miata comments are silly to me. Do you really think insurance will be MUCH cheaper for a manual, convertible, rear wheel drive Miata?? I'm doubting it. Just respect it, maintain it, and enjoy it. Get that stook!

Chris Brewer
Old 03-04-2015, 01:01 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

There's a good chance you will have at least one accident before you are 18. Even if you are attentive and cautious, there's an awful lot about driving that doesn't come without a lot of practice behind the wheel. The kind of unconscious muscle memory that lets you predict accidents before they occur: let's you predict who will change lanes before they even put on their blinker, which guy is going to pull out in front of you, discover that there are spots behind your car when backing out of a parking spot where you thought you always look but you actually haven't been covering. Knowing what time of day the deer will be at the top of the hill and what time they will be at the bottom. You get the idea. All that is completely beside "driving skill" or vehicle dynamics and you don't learn it until you've got 50K, 100K under your belt. You'll never stop learning it!

Point is, don't drive anything as a teenager that would break your heart if it got totaled.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Miata but invest in a Hard Dog roll bar.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skip the S, and go directly to the Elise.

Then upgrade to the Exige.

Quick Reply: first car to help eventually drive s2000?