Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

First Bike

Old 05-18-2002, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jefftse
[B]I'm thinking about a ducati monster 748, 600 or 400.
Old 05-31-2002, 04:34 AM

Just my .02 cents, I think if you can hurt yourself on a hayabusa, you can hurt yourself on a ninja 250. So a busa got 1300 cc? 100 lbs. torque out of the box, but how many people crash while accelerating from the extra power? (Not counting wheelies) I have had 8 bikes and been riding for a long time. I do stunting, cruising, the occasional track day, and the pretty boy thing trying to make the bike stand out. My girlfriend is learning on my gsxr 1000.
I think you should get the f4i or r6, this way, it will take you a while to outgrow it. An ex500 or an sv650 is a good bike, but how many of those people keep their bikes, sure their are a few, but they usually move up in bikes for more power. Let us know what you decide to do.
Old 05-31-2002, 05:37 AM

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about the ducati 750 monster. what do you think of that?
Old 05-31-2002, 06:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be the first to post that I totally disagree w/ this perspective. Lots of peope crash from extra power, not nec. accelerating in a straight line, but often from applying too power in corners.

The most important thing IMO is not to buy a bike that you'll keep and not get bored of for a long time, but one that fosters a safe yet fun learning environment. It's kind of pointless starting w/ a badass bike if it sends you to the hospital or morgue, right?

From what I hear, Fl. is a quite different environment than many other areas. Lots of straights, few twisties, too many stunters w/ chicken strips. Maybe this influences your perspective...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chopstix
[B]Just my .02 cents, I think if you can hurt yourself on a hayabusa, you can hurt yourself on a ninja 250.
Old 06-03-2002, 03:30 AM

Not at all, when I was in Cali, I rode Angelest Crest Highway and Mullholland every Sunday. I went to Deals Gap last year, and I do track days at North Florida Motorsports Park. Yes there are many straights so I do stunt also. But I am pretty diverse. There are many stunters that don't like racers, and vice versa. I got friends on both sides....
I feel that when people low or high side through turns, it's from not knowing how to countersteer effectively.... not from the power, also from using the front brakes in the turns too hard, anymore than 2 fingers will stand you up...
Old 06-03-2002, 04:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chopstix
[B]I feel that when people low or high side through turns, it's from not knowing how to countersteer effectively....
Old 06-03-2002, 05:20 AM

since you ride on a track, you should know that riding in the street is completely different from the track. I have had 8 bikes with many years of riding experience, I understand most people will believe that beginners should start on a 500 or 250, to me, i think differently, but I don't say that anyone is wrong. Now, there are some people that say bikes are crazy and shouldn't be on the road, others think if they go 5 mph over the speed limit, it's okay, others feels they can go faster. Point is, if you do "anything" illegal, you can't judge others, either it is legal or it's not. Your opinion of stupid riding may be someone elses normal....
Old 06-03-2002, 05:28 AM

By the way, back to the original question, the Duc Monster is an excellent bike, very versatile. My co-worker has the same. Let me know what you decide on. Also, not everyone will be on this bike like mine....
Old 06-03-2002, 07:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Chris S

BTW, just my $.02...stunting (beyond the occasional wheelie away from traffic) on the streets is moronic & asinine, and is doing a lot of PR damage to the sport we all love via higher insurance rates and increased police attention.
Unfortunately, where can someone that wants to stunt do it except on the street? I think that stunting where innocent bystanders around isn't a good idea, but I don't have a problem with it if you are doing it on some isolated road.
Old 06-23-2002, 11:07 PM

Maybe a Buell Blast. The main thing is: get a motorcycle and start riding. Most of us here realize the S2000 is the closest automobile in the world to the sensations of a motorcycle, which is why I bought one, but nothing matches a real bike, in the area of adrenaline rush and plain old fun on the road.