Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Finally, some nice pics of Cayman

Old 08-18-2005, 04:51 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker,Aug 18 2005, 04:29 PM
I was mostly joking BTW, but I think that there is some truth to what I say.

NSXs are selling for about US$70k these days out the door. The Cayman S, while list is lower than the NSX ($60k?), try getting one for that - my bet is that almost all of them will go out the door $70k-$75k.

So the average Cayman S, out the door, will probably be going for more than an NSX.

On paper, the two cars *seem* to be very similar.
NSXs may be going for $70-$75K.

The Cayman S costs $58K and change. Don't know what kind of options they'll show up with. But for the sake of argument. I could walk into a Porsche dealership and order one costing $58K and change. At least (in theory) it should work like that. All I have to do is say: "Order me a CS in this color with no options, call me when it gets here" Now the NSX (your best price) is another $12K beyond that. Or say the NSX costs the same as a Cayman S with $12K in options.

On paper they should be about the same, however you're trying to say the NSX is fairly priced by comparing it to a $70K Cayman S

That's like saying "I'm not fat compared to John Madden."
Old 08-18-2005, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ OH NO - NSX's are OVERPRICED. Ive never, ever, said that they are fairly priced. If they depreciated like other cars, Id have bought something else. But their cost of ownership is less than most other cars of their type, so Im hoping that that continues (although the more I drive it, the more I love it).

That said Id rather own my car than any of my friends same year 911 C4S', which were both slightly more expensive. We all got 02 cars around the same time late 04/early 05 with similar mileage on them.

Funny thing is that both of those dufus' needed friends to drive them home after picking up their new to them 911s from the dealer; neither knew how to drive std. Both of them chose C4s' because they liked the way the back end looks. Sigh. Both also believe that they have, and I quote, "mastered the car".
Old 08-18-2005, 05:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He arrives to the track. Does a few laps. Limps to the pits with a blown seal. Day is done.
There are quite a few guys with sorted setups that have not run into any issues.

Like anything else, there are a lot of variables and a lot of places to screw up during the install.

In my own experience there is nothing like spending 17 hours slapping a blower on a 302, having it start the first time and watching oil piss out at a high rate of speed because you tapped the pan wrong. That got me thinking, what else did I screw up?
Old 08-18-2005, 05:24 PM

So Steve- whats the better option? Get a NA 911 and SC it, or just go for the turbo?

Why would people NOT go for the Turbo?
Old 08-18-2005, 06:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have never found the styling appealing, what is with the Saleen gills ?? Also, like nearly every other Porsche, simply too much money for what you get. And don't forget all the ridiculously overpriced options that will inflate the price even more.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:37 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LUV2REV,Aug 18 2005, 06:15 PM
like nearly every other Porsche, simply too much money for what you get. And don't forget all the ridiculously overpriced options that will inflate the price even more.
This guy on another board was looking at the Boxster S and it had just the options he would order. That was ~$12K in options on top of $53K so you're at $65K for a BS (and this did not include the ceramic brakes that are a $8K option). That's as much as a C6 Z06. Or as much as a S2000 + an EVO (two cars)

I wouldn't be surprized to see Cayman S for $70K (not far off from a 911S) and I believe the 911S is a much better all around car.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by BioBanker,Aug 18 2005, 07:24 PM
Why would people NOT go for the Turbo?
That's what I don't get. I would never S/C the 996 3.2 or 3.4L. I would just sell it and get the Turbo. That motor can take a serious licking.

btw, lets try not to make it into another NSX thread.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So Steve- whats the better option? Get a NA 911 and SC it, or just go for the turbo?
You can pick up ealry 996's cheap. You could roughly build a nice blown 996 for just over half of what a two year old turbo is going to cost you and have similar acceleration numbers.

I would never do it, but lots of folks seem to like that route. Like I said, for my money buying a 35k prebuilt 930 track car is the way to go. Expensive rubber though -- and you can probably build a faster Z06 track car for the same money ... with cheaper parts (more or less) fewer miles and much much newer ...
Old 08-18-2005, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by rai,Aug 18 2005, 04:51 PM
All I have to do is say: "Order me a CS in this color with no options, call me when it gets here"
Sure that would work, then when you pick up your car you would feel like you just bought a Honda Civic DX. Do you know how much options cost on a porsche. Let me give you an example

997 Carrera Coupe MSRP: $69,300
Do you want HIDs? driving a porsche w/o HID $1090
Do you want electronic adjustable seat? $3300 + $1100
Do you want CD player? $650
Sport Steering Wheel? $1000
Bose system....$1000
Those are just basic option. If you want a car with complete leather interior it could cost another 5K or so.

P.S. Porsche's base price could be low but all you get an engine and a shell.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:50 PM

Looks nice. Don't really care for the Korean-type foglights, though. I do think, however, that Porsche needs to get in the h.p. game. Aren't they coming out with direct injection engines soon? Maybe that'll give 'em another 10-15%? Unfortunately, there's probably only so much they're gonna get out of a sub 4.0 litre n/a 6 (never heard of a Porsche 6 over 4.0 litres), and they do have to worry about distancing the 911 from the rest of the line. That being said, a 3.6 litre 350 h.p. direct injection Cayman S would be nice (along with a 3.8 litre 390 h.p. direct injection Carerra). But, the Cayman will just never have the iconic 911 shape...

Anecdotally, I drove an LS2 GTO today. Loved the motor. Great low-end torque while still pulling strong to the redline. Much better than the 4.6 3V motor in the Mustang GT I drove recently (and cheaper to produce?). Didn't really like the GTO, but it had me thinking that the C6 would be a great ride (haven't driven one yet). I also recently drove the 250 h.p. Boxster S, and the motor felt softer than I was expecting. Takes a little while to build torque, it seemed. Porsches are absolutely special cars, but the power of the big Chevy V8s would be addictive, I imagine. Just extrapolating from the GTO and '02 Boxster S, I would likely go with a Vette (Z51 or Z06) over the Boxster S or Cayman, unless Porsche gives 'em some more poop.

Quick Reply: Finally, some nice pics of Cayman